The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft and Off Season Talk

Rate this topic

Odd.

13 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I ain't gonna lie. I am more interested in potential draft day trades than any player we gonna select at 11. 

Fair..  we need upgrades BUT they need to be on D but that's THE only scenario we trade that pick! imo anyway... For what it's worth. 

However let's hope the isles reallyyyyy suck next year! Dead last in the league! 

Wouldn't that be something? 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Well the general rule of thumb is picking BPA, BUT if it's for position then that changes things, a LOT or if someone goes off the board and sees something in a player other teams have missed and is what their looking for in a player, obviously skill is a big factor but attitude and work ethic are there too as a factor that can help dictate a pick so who knows until it actually happens but kinda fun to see how scenarios play out. 

This season and next is a really important time for us and will set the tone for years to come, I just want to see depth and the farm NOT sold off for once, that shite doesn't work as we Canucks fans have seen quite enough of that since day 1..  it's time for the b.s. to end and have a "built" elite team with depth! 

Wouldn't that be a switch??!!

That's the one thing I'm looking forward to the draft is waiting and seeing how the picks go before we pick. Maybe we get a Hughes gift situation like when got Quinn. We're going to get a good player, might take a few years but would be a great addition to the core of Petey Demko and Hughes. 

Personally I wouldn't be unhappy to trade Boes, Garland, and 11th for a top 4 D and a high end D prospect/s who is already in development and ready to move up to the big show given a chance. Shed some cap and get more depth, something to that effect.. 

6 hours ago, awalk said:

Winning the lottery basically paid for the financial slap on the wrist the Hawks were given for covering up sexual assault. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Fair..  we need upgrades BUT they need to be on D but that's THE only scenario we trade that pick! imo anyway... For what it's worth. 

However let's hope the isles reallyyyyy suck next year! Dead last in the league! 

Wouldn't that be something? 

8 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I can see something around 11th for Laf or Kakko. 

Well I was just saying trades in general not specifically regarding our pick at 11. 

Also we don't  own the Isles pick anymore so they finishing dead last have no bearing on anyone but the Islanders. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Congratulations to Management and Coach Tocchet for their brilliant drive for the playoffs at the last moment in the season.  (even though the team could never get there)  :towel::towel::towel:

Now the Canucks have reaped the reward for just missing a playoff slot by receiving a draft position which will provide them with a 11th rate prospect.

Yes, the Canucks will not have a chance at the elite top 5 group of prospects, but that is completely unimportant when you consider they won lots of (meaningless) games at season end.

Although the Chicago Black Hawks will be drafting Connor Bedard, (yes, he will sign there... one of his Uncle's was a Hawk) and will have a chance to build a Cup Winning dynasty in the same way they did after they signed Patrick Kane, again, that is clearly unimportant when you consider the Canucks have the bragging rights to say they had a much better record than the Hawks over the last 20 games of the 2023 season.

Every Canuck fan is now satisfied to know the team is in good hands and the drive for mediocrity continues.  :frantic:

Yes, I can sleep better at night now knowing that we did better in our final push to not make the playoffs in order to not draft high in a deep draft. The Canucks are truly in the hands of capable minds playing 4D chess while other GMs can only laugh at how smart our management team is.

29 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

After the first three balls were drawn (5-4-13), four lottery teams were eliminated from contention: Bedard’s hometown Vancouver Canucks, last year’s lottery winner the Montreal Canadiens, plus the Detroit Red Wings and Flyers.

wasnt meant to be.  move on

Hope PA scores a HR with #11.  you never know.  

We were not eliminated. We still have one combination going into the last ball.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

if the goal of the NHL was to win draft day, they'd be set.  However.......

They've gotta hit on those picks for it to matter too.

Tampa's almost certainly a playoff team over the next few years, those 1sts are likely to be middling or later. That Toronto 1st is also likely to be middling. Chicago has four 2nd's this draft but the three that aren't theirs belong to Tampa, Ottawa, and New York. Middle round picks. They have a Dallas third in addition to their own, a later round pick. 

Next season they'll have our 2nd and Ottawa's 3rd in addition to Tampa's 1st. Could all be middling picks. 

Toronto's 1st and a Dallas 2nd the year after, probably middling. 

Now, I've argued for the acquisition of picks and there's absolutely something to be said for having bullets in the chamber, I've made my stance on acquiring and holding on to picks pretty clear in the past, but you've gotta hit on them for it to matter. 

The only high picks Chicago is likely to have going forward are their own, most of the picks they make will probably result in prospects who need years of development as opposed to players who step in and thrive right away.

Winning Bedard doesn't pull them out of a rebuild, they don't have much left to trade on their roster, and their roster as structured simply isn't a good one. Bedard might help accelerate the rebuild a bit, ideally he'd help them be just good enough to not get top three picks going forward. Chicago fans can hoot and holler all they want right now but there's a good chance a good chunk of the first part of Bedard's career is spent on a bad or mediocre team. And the longer that goes on the better a chance he eventually walks via UFA. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

16 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Could you imagine if we had drafted Matthew Tkachuk instead of Juolevi...

Yeah, we probably won't have Petty and Hughes and be the 2nd worse team in the standing and drop a spot in the Bedard Fantilli sweepstakes. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How much was that ping pong ball worth for Shitcago?

The collusion among the brass to ensure this scam surely did not come cheap. I also wonder if the other owners conceded to this as everyone gets a piece of TV ratings. Shitcago is a major hub they need to sell for them all to make money .

Business comes before ethics 100 times out of 100 in the NHL

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

The best we can hope for now is that Bedard ends up being atrocious defensively like McDavid. He's going to drop a PPG in his first year and then 100pts onwards, probably 150+ at some point like McDavid. He's small but pretty solid and throws his body around at times, but let's just hope that like McDavid, he's always a bit sloppy defensively. If he ends up being defensively capable like Crosby then it's all over, but if he's caught cheating or lacking back-checking then honestly I'd rather have Petey... 

Your top center has to be able to defend the other team's top line, then the out-scoring comes next. Just look at what's happening in the playoffs right now. Even peak McDavid and Draisaitl are down in a series they should be cruising in, and the same can be said of Matthews and Marner.

• Cheers 1

Holy crap there are some real dumb people out there. The lottery is not fixed. It's not some unbelievable event that the third best odds out of 14 won the pick. The league doesn't need to put a star in Chicago to make money. In fact it would make more sense in Columbus, or Anaheim, and just about any other franchise actually. My gawd this fanbase is weak. :sadno:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1