The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Alex Trinca as "Director, Sports Performance"

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I see it as they might know that Trinca is an 85/100, which is quite good and acceptable for the industry. That said, there might be a 90/100 or a 95/100 that is available for hire, but if we didn't explore options, we have forgone that opportunity to hire those better options. Trinca might be good enough at 85/100, but we might end up not being as good as we could have been had we explored more options.

Again, this is all speculative as I obviously have no insight into the actual hiring process they used.

why are you assuming he is an 85/100?

They are familiar with him.  For all you know he is outstanding at his job

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

why are you assuming he is an 85/100?

They are familiar with him.  For all you know he is outstanding at his job

And that is entirely possible, but you don't know what the best is unless you do a reasonably deep search through the various candidates. Take it to the extreme to see what I mean: If they interviewed on Trinca and didn't ever even consider any other options, then how would they know that he's the best? You have to explore other possible options to get a better glimpse of the entire population of options to get an understand of just how highly Trinca ranks among the various options.

For all we know, they did explore a large number of options and Trinca ended up being the best option--I'm not at all against the idea. It's just rather suspicious when a team continuously does that over and over again and repeatedly hires former team members, unless there's a strong reason to believe that so many of the members of that former team remain the best options today, which again, is possible, but quite coincidental.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

And that is entirely possible, but you don't know what the best is unless you do a reasonably deep search through the various candidates. Take it to the extreme to see what I mean: If they interviewed on Trinca and didn't ever even consider any other options, then how would they know that he's the best? You have to explore other possible options to get a better glimpse of the entire population of options to get an understand of just how highly Trinca ranks among the various options.

For all we know, they did explore a large number of options and Trinca ended up being the best option--I'm not at all against the idea. It's just rather suspicious when a team continuously does that over and over again and repeatedly hires former team members, unless there's a strong reason to believe that so many of the members of that former team remain the best options today, which again, is possible, but quite coincidental.

If you know person A is an excellent hire, someone you believe in and want to have in your organization, you hire them. 

That is a perfectly fine process imo

• Like 1

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Absolutely true, but I'd also appreciate due diligence in seeking out the best candidate. It's possible that Trinca is the best candidate, but given the slew of ex-Pens hires, it's hard not to suspect that the team isn't doing due diligence and just saving time and money to hire a "good enough" candidate instead of the best.

They were directly or indirectly involved with the Pens winning the two cups. I would think to win cups for two consecutive year might take more than “good enough” support personnel. Cat really argue against JR/PA bring in people that know what it takes to win. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Would Trinca have joined the Canucks with Benning at the helm? 
Ask that question and you got your answer right away.

On 5/17/2023 at 3:28 AM, -AJ- said:

More Pens. I sometimes wonder if we're actually hiring the best candidates or just Jim's old buddies.

Well ... you could say winning the cup makes you one of the best and he was with the Pens when they won 2.

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well ... you could say winning the cup makes you one of the best and he was with the Pens when they won 2.

Well Benning won a Cup with Boston and we all know how most fans felt about him.

Just now, iinatcc said:

Well to be fair as an AGM at least this recent hire is for a position he has prior success with. 

Fair point. That said, it's not uncommon for players or staff members of prior cup winners to struggle with later teams.

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Fair point. That said, it's not uncommon for players or staff members of prior cup winners to struggle with later teams.

The key word here is science.

If I don’t got it wrong Trinca knows all about science regarding his specialities.

How many players or staff members has got that background?

You mentioned Benning, did he knows the science regarding HR, GM etc?

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

we already had this 15 years ago. it's almost like the culture that Mike Gillis worked so hard to establish shouldn't have been dumped by the wayside, gradually eroding an organization that had developed into something resembling first rate into something resembling bush league. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think Trinca should think about his statement he made, because the focus on fitness in the off-season is key for success. First thing he should do is monitor JT Miller's workout schedule as strict as possible. With monitoring I mean taking a hotel in the city JT Miller lives and observe him 24/7 throughout  a two month period ahead of camp. Otherwise JT will come to camp not being in shape again. Wouldn't be surprise to see him not being in shape at camp. I highly doubt that he has the right habits in place to be a difference maker at the NHL level.