The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Alex Trinca as "Director, Sports Performance"

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Details:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that Alex Trinca has been named Director, Sport Performance to lead the club's Human Performance department. Trinca replaces Bryan Marshall, who has decided to move on after spending 14 seasons with the Canucks in a variety of roles, including Director, Applied Sport Science since 2019.

"We are very excited to welcome Alex Trinca to the Vancouver Canucks as we continue to focus on providing the best training and resources for our players," said Allvin. "Alex has an impressive resume, including nearly eight years of experience in the National Hockey League and several more with other private sports performance practices. He has worked with some of the game's greatest athletes and served as a member of two championship teams in Pittsburgh.

"We would also like to thank Bryan Marshall for his hard work and contributions during his entire tenure with the organization," continued Allvin. "His commitment to providing exceptional care to Canucks players and prospects is greatly appreciated, and we wish him the best in his next chapter."

Trinca joins the Canucks after spending each of the last seven seasons with the Pittsburgh Penguins as Strength and Conditioning Coach, including their back-to-back Stanley Cup Championship seasons in 2015.16 and 2016.17. In his role, he was involved in the design and implementation of the team and individual players' training programs as well as sports science programs to assist with player load management, injury risk mitigation, and performance nutrition.

Prior to working professionally as a performance coach, Trinca obtained a Bachelor of Arts, Kinesiology and Exercise Science from York University as well as a Masters of Kinesiology, Applied Exercise Physiology from the University of Calgary. He is also a certified Sports Scientist, Strength and Conditioning Coach, and Exercise Physiologist.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/alex-trinca-named-director-sport-performance/c-344426400

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

More Pens. I sometimes wonder if we're actually hiring the best candidates or just Jim's old buddies.

Nothing wrong with hiring people you know can do the job well. 

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Absolutely true, but I'd also appreciate due diligence in seeking out the best candidate. It's possible that Trinca is the best candidate, but given the slew of ex-Pens hires, it's hard not to suspect that the team isn't doing due diligence and just saving time and money to hire a "good enough" candidate instead of the best.

Certainly, anyone working for an NHL organization is likely to have credentials to do x job, doesn't mean Jim isn't also creating a boys club of sorts. Intentionally or not. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Absolutely true, but I'd also appreciate due diligence in seeking out the best candidate. It's possible that Trinca is the best candidate, but given the slew of ex-Pens hires, it's hard not to suspect that the team isn't doing due diligence and just saving time and money to hire a "good enough" candidate instead of the best.

kind of a silly take.  if you know some excels in their job, why you interview unknowns?  

PA/JR obviously knew Tocchett and by all accounts he looks like an excellent hire.

And Tocchett being the fitness guy that he is, may have pushed for Trinca as well.  

I think this is less about “saving time and money” versus going w people you know and are confident in.

Edited by Angry Goose

8 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

kind of a silly take.  if you know some excels in their job, why you interview unknowns?  

PA/JR obviously knew Tocchett and by all accounts he looks like an excellent hire.

And Tocchett being the fitness guy that he is, may have pushed for Trinca as well.  

I think this is less about “saving time and money” versus going w people you know and are confident in.

I see it as they might know that Trinca is an 85/100, which is quite good and acceptable for the industry. That said, there might be a 90/100 or a 95/100 that is available for hire, but if we didn't explore options, we have forgone that opportunity to hire those better options. Trinca might be good enough at 85/100, but we might end up not being as good as we could have been had we explored more options.

Again, this is all speculative as I obviously have no insight into the actual hiring process they used.