The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Right. Because trading for an overpriced defenseman who's no longer in his prime is such a brilliant strategy. :lol::picard:

Especially when the three players going the other way had one season left on their erroneous contracts and could have just been left to free agency. But yeah, that was a better move. 

I didn't say the trade was good, only that creating dead cap for 8 years is even worse.  Not only does Rutherford not care if he disgraces the franchise with his character issues, he's now made a commitment to destroy the future of the team with his incompetence.  This piece of trash combines the worst qualities of Benning, Gillis, and Keenan.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Onwards to trading away drfat picks and assets for costly Dmen OR way overpaying in FA. I didn't love OEL or his contract, but for a team on the build, he should've been given another year

This, we're at least two more years from contending for playoff spots realistically, so there was no need to rush this as is. 

• Cheers 1

Just for math's sake cuz I like math sometimes...

$2,126,667 of a $95M upper cap limit is about 2.2% of the cap.

2.2% of the cap in today's $82.5M upper cap limit is $1.85M.

So we're basically gonna be handicapped a solid bottom 6 forward or a defenceman like Ethan Bear for 5 out of the next 8 years.

Another way to look at it is we'll be paying $6.85M for a $5M replacement LHD for 5 out of the next 8 years (and nearly $10M for that same $5M LHD for 2 out of the next 3 years).

Just now, King Heffy said:

I didn't say the trade was good, only that creating dead cap for 8 years is even worse.  Not only does Rutherford not care it be disgraces the franchise with his character issues, he's now made a commitment to destroy the future of the team with his incompetence.  This piece of trash combines the worst qualities of Benning, Gillis, and Keenan.

I agree it's foolish to think that 2mil a year as dead cap is irrelevant

• Cheers 2

Just now, smithers joe said:

except without the moves, we'll never be a contender. as much as it hurts, imo it was a right move. now myers next.

We have a better chance of being a contender if we dont throw dead cap on our books during our contention window

There were other options with OEL

If he rebounded to a 4m level, thats only 3 million dollars of inefficient money for the next 4 years.

If he didn't, we could buy him out in a year or two, and have less cap hit

OR he could get a case of hossaitis and ride LTIR for the remainder of his contract

The NHL is moneyball and these guys just gave themselves an 8 year massive disadvantage in the game

Im one to be negative for no reason, half my posts are singing the praises of "GMPA and the hairless compadres". I did a recap post of their work up to this point and actually gave them an A+. 

But this hurts and feels shortsighted and stupid if we want a stanley cup anytime before 2031. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

I didn't say the trade was good, only that creating dead cap for 8 years is even worse.  Not only does Rutherford not care it be disgraces the franchise with his character issues, he's now made a commitment to destroy the future of the team with his incompetence.  This piece of trash combines the worst qualities of Benning, Gillis, and Keenan.

He has not disgraced the franchise, Team was going nowhere fast with Bruce and the move needed to happen whether you like it or not. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is an incredibly short sighted move, from management that clearly doesn't know what they're doing. The trading of Hronek was an unnecessary luxury, giving up a 1st and a 2nd for an impending RFA that they have no space for.

So buying OEL was their solution? For f**k's sake.

The only management group responsible for this fiasco is the management group that traded for OEL in the first place. JR now has to clean up the mess. Hronek is a legit top 4 Dman who will help this club for many years. OEL was an anchor that is now costing us 8 years of dead cap. 

We do have space for Hronek now. As well as getting another top 4 Dman to help us with our playoff run. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

Our fans are so bi-polar, One min the beg to have OEL's contract bought out and the next they b!tch and complain..Just run to the hills, At least management seems like it wants desperate changes!

We aren’t a homogeneous group. 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is true. He also said he really didn't want to do it because of the future implications down the road. So, I'm curious how they came to this being the best option. 

They did it. I don't really care except what end point they get to. 

The team was in a mess when they came in, and haven't improved much if at all. Now they promised major surgery and so let's see how it goes.  Can't judge the outcome while the surgery is in progress.  

Playoffs in 3, cup in 6 yrs. 

I can wait. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Oh no, we might have to rely on ...GASP.... prospects to play for the team.

The thing is, once Myers is gone, we OFFICIALLY have TWO top 4 defencemen under contract.  Hughes and Hronek.  That's it.  We are now on the hunt for two top 4 defencemen. 

• Vintage 1

Patrik Allvin:

"We would like to thank Oliver for the time he spent in Vancouver. The business of hockey is very complex and tough decisions have to be made if you want to remain competitive. Buying out Oliver gives us a lot more flexibility and cap space the next couple of years and significantly reduces his hit in the subsequent seasons. It is our expectation that following this year, the cap will also raise considerably making this the right time to execute this buyout. Our organization is committed to do whatever it needs to do to improve, get better on and off the ice, and move forward in a positive direction."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1