The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

The UFA list is weak and not worth the overpay. 

If they bring in another defender, it will be by another trade.

And no. OEL will not bounce anything other than himself out of the game. He is horrible 

It is weak.

So we will run with a blue line of

Hughes-Myers

Studnicka-Hronek

Burroughs-Brisebois

And call this competitive.

Or we will trade what assets to bring in a top 4 defender that fits our age range with the meagre cap space we just bought ourselves for one single year?

Serious questions.  Do tell, what assets do we have to trade for a top 4 defenseman that fits our still existing cap issues and age bracket.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Point one.  This team has tried to build through free agency since 2014.  Has been a cap ceiling team since 2010.  Has one of the most shallow prospect and depth pools in the league.  We are still currently needing to fill 3 spots on the blue line as well as find a 3rd line centre and a middle 6 winger as well as a potential back up goaltender.  The cap moving upwards negates little when we are fighting with 13 other teams for the exact same thing and have only bought ourselves a meagre $2 ish million in space when bonuses etc are factored in (to my understanding).

Point 2.  We are not at a cap disadvantage?  Pettersson and Hronek need new contracts in 2 seasons while we carry $4.7 million in dead cap space.  We still need to fill no less than 6 total spots on the roster for yeomen who make almost league minimum with actual players while knowing that pettersson and Hronek will be in contract years and demko will be in an extension window.  This is while we will still need to find replacements via free agency for our blue line.  meaning no less than a 3-4 and an entire 5-6 pairing.  A 3rd line centre and middle 6 winger.  With no prospects in the pipeline ready to take over any of those positions in the next season or three unless someone steps up mighty hard.

Knowing we will be filling those holes in free agency and that we will be competing with over a dozen teams for the same current crop of free agent assets pray tell, how are we not at a cap disadvantage?

Jim Rutherford has some pretty big free agent defensman misses on his record too. Like Jack Johson.

Just imagine JR overpays for some Dman at free agency , who will need a buyout for his last 2 years if we are lucky. So the negative energy of the OEL trade might carry on for 10+ years.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hard to do when we're trading all our high end picks. We drafted in the 1st and 2nd round twice in 3 years. Lol. In 2020 we didn't draft in the 1st or 2nd round. 2021 we only drafted in the 2nd round, and 2022 we only drafted in the 1st round. So we traded our 1st rounder twice in 3 years and our 2nd rounder twice in 3 years. We also traded 2nd rounders this year and next year. So how exactly are we gonna get 3 to 4 ELC players from purely 3rd round and beyond. Not every 1st rounder hits. All these 1st and 2nd rounders traded, and we are a lottery team.

We have 6 young guys who will get a look.3 make it theres some wiggle room moving forward.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Usual wet blankets are wet blanketing ... again.

Yep! If some just thought clearly about it and used some logic and common sense, they could probably figure out why it came to them having to do this. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

So how much could we spend on another replacement defenceman to obtain the same cap hit as before with improved defence?

7,260,000 - 2,346,667 = 4,913,333

7,260,000 - 4,766,667 = 2,493,333

7,260,000 - 4,766,667 = 2,493,333

7,260,000 - 2,126,667 = 5,133,333

So basically, the Canucks will need to find a defenceman that is $5M or less in terms of cap hit to come out ahead in this.

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I still want to see all 3 of Boeser, Beau and Garland out on the open market as well as some resolution of Tyler Myers that does not involve giving away assets (though deadline seems more likely). 
I want a big shakeup too. I even entertain the thought of Demko if the deal is right. 
I still don’t qualify Bear. 

This would be a very interesting year to do a Demko trade with Jarry available in UFA

Demko to the leafs for:

2023 1st (Bostons)

Knies

Niemela

Then we go sign Surrey boy Jarry in UFA

Then in the draft we get Moore and Simashev

Get er done GMPA

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

We have plenty of AHL prospects who play better than OEL. I’m not concerned. He was a cancer to this team. His constant bumbling of the puck, being in no man’s land and losing puck battles killed a lot of our games. 

I don’t think they will go UFA route with the Cap. They can land players by trade and have to overpay. 

Yes we are not at a Cap disadvantage. You fail to compare the team with OEL on it versus not.

1.  Which AHL prospects are ready to take up a spot on the blue line as a top 4 defenseman?

2.  What players will they land by trade and having to overpay is good why?  for a team with no assets what can we give that isn't podkolzin, Lekkerimaki or the 11th overall pick?

3.  How are we not at a cap disadvantage needing to sign or fill 6 holes on the roster with our best player and our unknown new potential stud or dud RHD needing new contracts that will see us spending an additional $4-$6 million in cap space or more within 2 seasons or less on them?

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Hey at least that is improvement over OEL with the same cap hit and I said short term like 1 or 2 years before the $4 mil cap hit. Read please. 

This is the minimum expectation for this not to blow up in their face. So trade for another team's elephant that have been chewed a bit more than our OEL wholly mamoth.

So 1 or 2 years of a Bear quality defenceman.  Then what about those 2 years where the dead cap is $4.8M per year?

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Jim Rutherford has some pretty big free agent defensman misses on his record too. Like Jack Johson.

Just imagine JR overpays for some Dman at free agency , who will need a buyout for his last 2 years if we are lucky. So the negative energy of the OEL trade might carry on for 10+ years.

Podkolzin/Lekkerimaki and the 11th overall pick for Erik Karlsson with 30% retained and call it asset management because the Canucks are going for it

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Remember like 2 days ago we were pumping managements tires. Man…

Seriously

Eeeeergh: "AAAA GMPA AND THE HAIRLESS COMPADRES, SAVIORS OF THE CITY, BALD PEOPLE ARE DISCIPLINED AND PATIENT, HEAD WAX IS SUPERIOR TO BENNINGS SHOE POLISH BLAH BLAH I WILL BUILD A CHOCOLATE STATUE IN THEIR IMAGE BLAH BLAH"

i spoke way too soon

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I expect this to happen. I think Boston would be a perfect situation for him. If I was Bostons manager, I like the thought of OEL running the PP instead of McAvoy. I could see OEL putting up near 50 points in that situation. 

When QH was injured OEL ran the PP as good if not better.

That was what he was good at.He played like a 4 mill at best D man but was good on the PP.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Our big names are expiring inside of this buyout. With the exception of Miller. Who most are thinking regresses below being worth that 8mil. So our known cap hits are unknown right now. People in the Hronek thread were claiming he might ask for upwards of 8mil. I think it's absurd. But the point is we don't have known cap hits on most of our star players that will be expiring around the time the buyout is at it's highest.

Yes, we don't know if that dead cap is what prevents us from signing Bedard in 8 years but we have to analyze some things in a vacuum or else there are too many moving parts. 

So generally speaking rising cap woth known cap hot diminish impact of said known cap hit as a percentage of total cap. 

That is how data analysis work, you have to isolate out unknown variables to reach a logical conclusion.

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

We have 6 young guys who will get a look.3 make it theres some wiggle room moving forward.

Name them, cause if you're talking about the college FAs. They aren't really on ELCs. Not for very long anyway. If they prove they're worthwhile they aren't gonna be making ELC level money very long. Lekkerimaki is a long term project. Raty is also gonna be on one year deals til he proves he's NHL quality. So that's not long term cap relief.