The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Myers and Beau coming off the books basically pays their replacements and the raises to FH and EP.

We have some short term cap space - but we can’t go out and sign a guy for term.

Paying for a with value guy with one year doesn’t make sense since we aren’t even a playoff team. 

Could we see something like Garland for Kuznetsov? Garland gets Washington close to $3m in cap relief for two years and production wise wasn’t that much lower.

This frees up more cap for the Canucks when OEL’s buyout savings becomes less favourable 

• Vintage 1

OEL contract was bad but let’s be honest.  He is not the reason why the Canucks did not make the playoffs last year.  

Unless they make some amazing moves in the summer, Canucks will miss the playoffs.  And probably be the laughing stock in the NHL if OEL signs cheaply elsewhere and rebounds to previous form. 

:picard:

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Myers and Beau coming off the books basically pays their replacements and the raises to FH and EP.

We have some short term cap space - but we can’t go out and sign a guy for term.

Paying for a with value guy with one year doesn’t make sense since we aren’t even a playoff team. 

Could we see something like Garland for Kuznetsov? Garland gets Washington close to $3m in cap relief for two years and production wise wasn’t that much lower.

This frees up more cap for the Canucks when OEL’s buyout savings becomes less favourable 

Ok- this addresses one of my major issues with the buy out/cap space hit.

I like this type of idea,  short, short term.

4 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Thanks, EP.  I saw that on capfriendly but wasn't sure if that includes OEL's buyout for next season?

Next season the Canucks currently have over $40 million in cap space with Poolman on LTIR and 9 players signed. That includes OEL’s buyout. 

Petey and Hronek will take up probably close to 50% of that cap space. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Or Garland for Ryan Johansen might be an option now.  Not sure if Nashville is interested, though.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrik Allvin, two months ago:

I know some people aren’t that high on the guy but I genuinely wonder if Bear’s injury expedited this decision.  

With Bear we had a set top 5 and we knew he could play with OEL and Hughes.  Without him we have Hronek - but then Myers who we know *didn’t* play well with those two. 

Lots of need to go shopping this offseason and the cap flexibility opens up way more options.

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Jesus man. 
It gets harder and harder to continue cheering for this team.  
I mean, I’m not going to stop, but I hate this constant feeling of disappointment. 

Try cheering for them for the last 52 years and then come and talk to me.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Who could have anticipated that painting themselves into a corner capwise would result in lingering consequences?

1st degree murder - Imgflip

the last 3 off-seasons have been punctuated with the OEL trade, a huge Miller extension and now the OEL buyout

This team just needed to catch its breath for a minute and re-tool around Petey, Hughes and Demko.  Instead they doubled down on some 30+ year olds and it feels like we’re sprinting right into a wall.

Maybe - hopefully - Allvin works some magic here with the cap space he’s carved out.  But if it’s just sign a UFA D and C for likely more than they’re worth it’s not going to go well.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1