The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Boston needs to unload cap so I like the idea of taking Reilly off their hands + grabbing Carlo in the process

indont think we can send cap back their way though 

Why would we ever do something with Boston? Why would you even consider a Boston player coming to Vancouver? There is smart hockey but there are boundaries to not ever, EVER be crossed.

• Wat 1

I’m overthinking this but this move made me think the canucks are going to take a dman in the draft. Someone they feel confident will be able to come in and contribute at least what OEL would have on their ELC to offset the cost in years 3 and 4 of the buyout money being the highest.

Willander/Reinbacher/ ASP here we come!

1 minute ago, brbetts542 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but RT coached oel for 4 years. He more so than anyone would understand his worth and career trajectory. 

management would have been working in lockstep with tocchet on this one.

I bet this was their first fight and Tochets first written warning

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I’m overthinking this but this move made me think the canucks are going to take a dman in the draft. Someone they feel confident will be able to come in and contribute at least what OEL would have on their ELC to offset the cost in years 3 and 4 of the buyout money being the highest.

Willander/Reinbacher/ ASP here we come!

You havent been watching Abby Canucks I guess... We are deep in defense, and the only thing holding them back were OEL and Myers

• There it is 1

29 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

This was always the preferred route to getting under the cap.  I hated the idea of having to trade our pick as a sweeter or even trading down. This was the best way.

I'd have just ridden it out, we could have been cap compliant as we were and cap would have come off organically 

Management wants to put their stamp on this team though, it's not as if JR is gonna be around forever, dude is old

Wonder what they are thinking for a 2 LD. Ryan Graves fits what we need but isnt the quickest player himself & is going to cost a premium.

We dont really have the expendable assets to acquire a really good defenseman ala Hanifin. 

Maybe they are going to try patch work with someone like Dumoulin on a short term deal, or take a chance on a questionable contract ala M.Pettersson

37 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Okay how about this 

imagine Hughes and Hronek get injured 

Hirose-Johansson

Rathbone-Woo

Loui-Eriksson

Wouldn't be fair to other teams tbh, we've gotta at least give them a fair chance 

8 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Umm maybe readjust your expectations of this team. 

Playoffs would be great I agree, but there are so many holes in our roster and nothing has been added yet, so we'll need to wait and see. 

Our D alone now has a new hole at 2 LD. 

So main areas to still sort out with 6.4 million in cap space:

- 1 top 4 RD

- 1 top 4 LD

- 1 3C

- Depth

No clue what their plan is on pulling this off. I'm glad we don't have to dump a winger anymore with the same urgency. God I hope Schenn signs back here for 1.5 or less. 

Top dollars for one year contracts rather than average dollars for long term lock.  I don't mind this strategy, it get off the books right away after one year even one of UFA guy that is undeserving for top dollar but gives him motivation to see what he can do rather than stuck with him for a long time.  If he caught fire, trade him at the deadlines if we falters out of playoff spot or that guy helps us make the playoffs.  I don't mind rather than being stuck with bad contracts.  It helps us for one season.  We still need to unload wingers though to offer a top dollars to other area of needs for one year.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. OEL was gonna be on the books at $7.26 million for the next 4 years.  So those hits in 2025 and 2026 don’t matter as a $2.5 million Dman can take his place on the 3rd pairing.  The actual real dead cap is years 5-8, or 2027-2030.  It’s $2.1 million for those 4 years, so even less than the Luongo dead cap hit, but % wise it’s a lot less because the cap will be well over $100 million by that time.  

The bottom line is we now have $12.1 million in cap space and can act like a real team this summer in terms of improving our team with free agents and also via trade.  We are now able to trade a guy like Garland and move that $5 million to a position of need, like a 3C or a LHD.  We can even weaponize the cap space to a certain extent by being able to take on a bad contract and get a pick or prospect in return.  

NY Rangers come to mind now.  There is a possibility we can go after Lafreniere and take on Goodrow’s contract for example.  That’s just one example.  There are many possibilities now that were not available to us yesterday but are available now…

Yes - also agree with this. Years 5-8 will hopefully be more of an annoyance rather than a huge hindrance (knock on wood) given how much the cap should have grown by then. Given the incredibly crappy hand they were dealt, this was probably the most logical move management could have made.

• Upvote 1