The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

6 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Do you want him to be your starter if Demko gets injured or misses any time?  Then it becomes a duo of Silovs and Martin, if thats the case it would be tank for Celebrini.

If Demko gets injured again it doesn't matter who our back-up is we're finished. Maybe not so much with this re-vamped defence, but still, I don't think we'll find a backup who can theoretically play a solid 40-50 games. I think we'll just use someone in our lineup right now (Martin or Silovs) or maybe sign a really cheap guy, but if Demko goes down it's over anyway.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Depth Charts (not lines): 

Kuzmenko - Petey - Boeser

Beauvillier - Miller - Garland 

Mikheyev - Bleuger - Podkolzin 

Pearson - Aman - PDG 

Hoglander - Dries - Studnicka 

McDonough - Sasson - Karlsson 

Bains - Raty - Klimovich 

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Wolanin - McWard

Hirose - Woo

Rathbone - Johansen

Brisebois - xxxx

Irwin - xxxx

Demko 

Martin 

Silovs 

Tolopilo

Which of our top 4 LWers are dealt? We have a glut and we could use the cap for a RHD like Pesce, if we get him without too much going the other way. He's a UFA at the end of the season though and I'm not a fan of his age. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If Demko gets injured again it doesn't matter who our back-up is we're finished. Maybe not so much with this re-vamped defence, but still, I don't think we'll find a backup who can theoretically play a solid 40-50 games. I think we'll just use someone in our lineup right now (Martin or Silovs) or maybe sign a really cheap guy, but if Demko goes down it's over anyway.

This. 

I mean in a perfect world, sure you sign a solid vet like Raanta to tandem with/fill in for injuries, but this team had a LOT of holes to fill, and limited cap to do so.

Running it back with Martin, Silovs (or yes, some other Clark approved at/near league min guy), behind a much improved defense, and actual structure for another year, is fine.

Edit... Speaking of Sawchenko :lol:

Edited by aGENT

14 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think we still have about 2m even with Pearson returning 

Pearson was “preparing for training camp.” Doesn’t mean he’s cleared for contact, let alone to play.  Sounds more like he’s just doing what he can, and remaining optimistic 

• Like 1

I gotta say, I'm really impressed with the signings today. Short-term deals for older guys, every single signing has been focused on defense, which is our clear weakness. If these players fit in well, we could actually see a big rise in the standings this year, given that our offense is already quite strong.

The only caveat is things get a lot harder in 2023-24 with Petey and a heavier penalty for OEL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would have preferred Holl over Cole to be honest and especially for the price-tag. Holl is a pretty big, good-skating RD who can play 20 minutes easily. He didn't end up costing too much either. 

He ended up costing waay too much.

I’ll take Cole on a short term low risk deal any day. We needed guys that can Pk.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I gotta say, I'm really impressed with the signings today. Short-term deals for older guys, every single signing has been focused on defense, which is our clear weakness. If these players fit in well, we could actually see a big rise in the standings this year, given that our offense is already quite strong.

The only caveat is things get a lot harder in 2023-24 with Petey and a heavier penalty for OEL.

Myers 6m, Beauv 4.125 and Pearson 3.250 are off the books come July 2024.

Peteys making 7+ and Hronek is making around 4.5, i think we'll be ok even with OEL penalties 

quick look at cap friendly, for 2024/25 the canucks have projected 35million in cap space with 9 players signed, and the cap increases too

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Myers 6m, Beauv 4.125 and Pearson 3.250 are off the books come July 2024.

Peteys making 7+ and Hronek is making around 4.5, i think we'll be ok even with OEL penalties 

quick look at cap friendly, for 2024/25 the canucks have projected 35million in cap space with 9 players signed, and the cap increases too

Fair points. I forgot about Myers--which is big.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would have preferred Holl over Cole to be honest and especially for the price-tag. Holl is a pretty big, good-skating RD who can play 20 minutes easily. He didn't end up costing too much either. 

He really struggled in the playoffs.

Okay, a lot of Leafs struggled in the playoffs, but they took him out of the lineup because he got badly exposed.

• Cheers 1