The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vilmer Alriksson | LW

On 6/29/2023 at 11:08 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

This is a good pick, need to roll the dice on these type of guys. 

I think Vancouver has enough smaller players in the system although they’ve increased the size of their prospect pipeline of late. Enough Conor Garlands already . 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

I think Vancouver has enough smaller players in the system although they’ve increased the size of their prospect pipeline of late. Enough Conor Garlands already . 

Just need to be patient with the big guys, I think it helps that Alriksson can say in Sweden for a while before signing a ELC. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Just need to be patient with the big guys, I think it helps that Alriksson can say in Sweden for a while before signing a ELC. 

It was a 4th round pick. What do you have to loose. Time and develpment might result in good things for the guy

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Is he going or will he stay in europe and play in a semi mens league?

He's a teammate of Lekkermaki, I think we'll see him play at least one more year in Sweden but realistically I wouldn't expect him to play any CHL games. I imagine they'll let him cook overseas and sign his ELC in 2-3 years, barring any monumental steps this coming season

2 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

He's a teammate of Lekkermaki, I think we'll see him play at least one more year in Sweden but realistically I wouldn't expect him to play any CHL games. I imagine they'll let him cook overseas and sign his ELC in 2-3 years, barring any monumental steps this coming season

Whoops, I forgot Lekkermaki was headed to Orebro next year. The rest still stands.

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Is he going or will he stay in europe and play in a semi mens league?

I don't know what a "semi mens league" means, but that sounds very unlikely. Assuming he stays in Sweden he'll surely play SHL or Allsvenskan once he's ready, although some more time in J20 first would be likely - he hasn't exactly lit up the junior circuit yet.

I'm still wondering what you mean by "semi mens league". Maybe you're thinking of something like the 3rd Swedish tier, HockeyEttan? That could be possible, but it wouldn't be a common route for an NHL-drafted prospect.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1

Guelph GM compared Alriksson to Alexei Toropchenko, 4th rounder taken in 2017 by the Blues. Says he sees similarities to him back when he has Alexei at Guelph.

Would be huge for his development to play in the CHL if he’s going to be returning back to the J20 league in Sweden anyway.

This is a project pick that I’ll be very interested in. 6’6 forwards are rare, especially at 18. Just so raw. He already moves good in the limited highlights from development camp. Good straight line speed as well. Love these types of picks in the later parts of the draft.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 3

On 7/5/2023 at 11:56 PM, HighOnHockey said:

I don't know what a "semi mens league" means, but that sounds very unlikely. Assuming he stays in Sweden he'll surely play SHL or Allsvenskan once he's ready, although some more time in J20 first would be likely - he hasn't exactly lit up the junior circuit yet.

I'm still wondering what you mean by "semi mens league". Maybe you're thinking of something like the 3rd Swedish tier, HockeyEttan? That could be possible, but it wouldn't be a common route for an NHL-drafted prospect.

Edler played in a semi mens league as I recall, and that's where he was drafted. Hockey Sweden basically black balled him for moving to the Dub

On 6/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, aqua59 said:

Alriksson would look great on a line with Garland and Dries, especially with Hughes and Rathbone on D. He’d look like a mountain rising out of a field of molehills.