The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Hurricanes “Not Close” On Extension Talks With Pending UFAs

RWJC

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I’d be willing to bet “contract year Myers” turns some heads. Especially since he’ll be playing down the lineup and/or with a good partner.  

Our cap situation (and everyone’s) opens up a bit next year anyways that’s where we  can try and get cute landing a longer term RD.  Maybe even Pesce if he doesn’t pan out wherever he lands.

Obviously my post was a bit of a joke but I do think like you that we may be better defensively than some think. At least better than the last couple years. 

Myers can have a career year and I’d be more than happy to let him go at the end of the year or even the deadline if we are borderline playoff position. 

I don’t think we should be spending anymore assets. Let’s see what the season brings and make more adjustments next year :metal:

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's a horrible deal for Carolina.

They take on $6 mil in cap, a garbage D, and a career AHLer. McDonough kind of sucked pretty bad in his 6 game stint. I don't think it gets you close at all unless no one else if offering up a first. But surely someone else would happily beat that offer. Try our first and D-Petey, or maybe our 1st,  Lekkerimaki, and Beau to even out the cap.

I think the poster said AFTER Myers bonus is paid so doesn't that make his cap hit for Carolina1 million not 6? I may have his bonus number wrong though.

18 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I think the poster said AFTER Myers bonus is paid so doesn't that make his cap hit for Carolina1 million not 6? I may have his bonus number wrong though.

No, unfortunately his cap hit still remains the same. His actual salary in dollars is only 1 million for the season so it's perhaps attractive to teams watching their financial bottom line. We do have the option of retaining some of the cap, but of course we ourselves have to replace him in the line-up for at least 1 million. It's possible but those types of deals are historically hard to negotiate. You don't see too many of them.

There are a lot of moving pieces to the puzzle and they may just be too hard to navigate to the point we just see Myers play out his contract on the third pairing.

Edited by Gawdzukes

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser + 1st enough for Pesce? I'd love to do scraps like Beauvillier + 1st + Rathbone but doubt they bite. Then again if Pesce is on his way out maybe his value drops?

Is there a world we give them Myers 50% retained? Beau + Myers + pick?

I highly doubt it. That's 7 mil going their way and only 4 mil coming back. They have less than a mil in cap space.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser + 1st enough for Pesce? I'd love to do scraps like Beauvillier + 1st + Rathbone but doubt they bite. Then again if Pesce is on his way out maybe his value drops?

Is there a world we give them Myers 50% retained? Beau + Myers + pick?

Golden Girls Lol GIF by HULU

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Obviously my post was a bit of a joke but I do think like you that we may be better defensively than some think. At least better than the last couple years. 

Myers can have a career year and I’d be more than happy to let him go at the end of the year or even the deadline if we are borderline playoff position. 

I don’t think we should be spending anymore assets. Let’s see what the season brings and make more adjustments next year :metal:

Yeah and honestly, I have no idea how the overall team D shapes up this year.  We’ve been all over the place the last few years.  

But Myers seems to be in a good position to do well - not near 6 mil AAV well - but well enough he’ll either have value to the team or at the trade deadline with some retention IMO.  A bit of wishful thinking on my part maybe but he’s had good enough seasons between some pretty bad ones so I’m hoping I’m not completely out to lunch.

That’s my hot take for the offseason!

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah and honestly, I have no idea how the overall team D shapes up this year.  We’ve been all over the place the last few years.  

But Myers seems to be in a good position to do well - not near 6 mil AAV well - but well enough he’ll either have value to the team or at the trade deadline with some retention IMO.  A bit of wishful thinking on my part maybe but he’s had good enough seasons between some pretty bad ones so I’m hoping I’m not completely out to lunch.

That’s my hot take for the offseason!

Yeah, if Myers is on the 3rd pair, he'll do quite well.  I'm curious how Soucy will do with likely increased responsibilities.  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

CDC: Complains Canucks gave up picks to get Hronek.

CDC: Complains Canucks bought out OEL.

CDC: Wants to part with assets to get rid of Myers.....

:frantic:

Then when the Canucks pull the trigger complain all over again hehe

• Haha 1

I think the cost might be a bit high to get him. We have lots of great prospects, but I don't think management wants to trade them at this time. We'll need good players on cheap contracts in a couple years when the OEL buyout is worse and our team is trying to be a regular playoff contender. 

Maybe Beau (50%) retained + 1st could get it done. 

I don't think they'd love the deal, but they get a potentially solid 1st round pick and a middle 6 winger at 2 million and they were going to lose Pesce anyway. As others said I think there will be better offers on the table for him (1st + a solid prospect). 

I'm sure if we wanna give up Hoglander or Podz along with a high pick then they'd agree much quicker lol 

21 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's a horrible deal for Carolina.

They take on $6 mil in cap, a garbage D, and a career AHLer. McDonough kind of sucked pretty bad in his 6 game stint. I don't think it gets you close at all unless no one else if offering up a first. But surely someone else would happily beat that offer. Try our first and D-Petey, or maybe our 1st,  Lekkerimaki, and Beau to even out the cap.

Pass. On. Pesce. 

Myers is underrated. He can be an effective 3rd pairing d-man on a great team. 

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Pass. On. Pesce. 

Myers is underrated. He can be an effective 3rd pairing d-man on a great team. 

In the past with Winnipeg he excelled in that situation. Let's hope he is up to the task. It is contract year. We should see his best effort. 

• Cheers 3

On 7/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, Gawdzukes said:

It is contract year. We should see his best effort. 

I think this is a great point. He's not even old yet, and his play this season could mean a difference of millions for him. We should see his best.

He's not always positionally sound and takes penalties, but in a limited role I too think he can be effective. Not 6m effective, but certainly adequate as a 6th.

Really, with such limited cap room this season and a high cost to unload it, it's not the worst thing in the world to keep him for now. He's off the books next season when the ceiling rises, so it kinda works out that way at least.

I still can't help think he's movable to a cap floor team without sweeteners once his bonus is paid...

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think this is a great point. He's not even old yet, and his play this season could mean a difference of millions for him. We should see his best.

He's not always positionally sound and takes penalties, but in a limited role I top think he can be effective. Not 6m effective, but certainly adequate as a 6th.

Really, with such limited cap room this season and a high cost to unload it, it's not the worst thing in the world to keep him for now. He's off the books next season when the ceiling rises, so it kinda works out that way at least.

I still can't help think he's movable to a cap floor team without sweeteners once his bonus is paid...

At this point we actually need him. 
I agree with you, plus we’re already paying the bonus so if I was Aqua I’d want to see us hold him to deadline and get as much use out of him as possible for the money, albeit in a lessened role