The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Ferries isn't as prepared for the long weekend as they thought they'd be...

Nucklehead22

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe a good idea to have more than minimum staff levels then. Yeah it's more expenses, but your service levels improve.

It has been suggested, on many an occasion.

however they actually work against their long term health.

Approach Transport Canada to get various routes classified to a lower standard, allowing less crew, so less deckhands and engine room staff, then years later wonder why not enough deckhands  or engine room folk are getting their officer papers.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It has been suggested, on many an occasion.

however they actually work against their long term health.

Approach Transport Canada to get various routes classified to a lower standard, allowing less crew, so less deckhands and engine room staff, then years later wonder why not enough deckhands  or engine room folk are getting their officer papers.

Almost as if running it the same as a private, for-profit corporation would lead to these shortsighted cost-cutting measures.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Almost as if running it the same as a private, for-profit corporation would lead to these shortsighted cost-cutting measures.

The people running it are just incompetent as hell.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe time to take all the oil from the Triple O burgers, and fries, and convert it to biodeisel to lower costs?

Reliable hybrid drive trains to cut fuel costs?

They have enough seagulls following them around now, imagine if they smelled like a McDonalds?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I also like @Gurn's idea of building bridges connecting some of the gulf islands with the main island, and then setting up a ferry terminal on the east side of one of the gulf islands.  Helps with tourism on the gulf islands, shortens ferry travel time (the weakest link in the chain), and can potentially benefit the environment in a number of ways.  Too bad NIMBYism is likely to prevent that from happening in the short and middle term.

Might as well put a bridge from Tswwassen to Galiano, to Mayne, to Saltspring then to Victoria. Then put one from Horseshoe Bay to the Sunshine Coast, and to Nanaimo.

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Might as well put a bridge from Tswwassen to Galiano, to Mayne, to Saltspring then to Victoria. Then put one from Horseshoe Bay to the Sunshine Coast, and to Nanaimo.

Wasn't that old Pat McGeer's pet dream projects?  Building a land bridge from the Island to Vancouver?

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wasn't that old Pat McGeer's pet dream projects?  Building a land bridge from the Island to Vancouver?

Probably. I just remember when he was the Education Minister. All the teachers cars had bumper stickers saying "Stick it in your ear, McGeer!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I also like @Gurn's idea of building bridges connecting some of the gulf islands with the main island, and then setting up a ferry terminal on the east side of one of the gulf islands.  Helps with tourism on the gulf islands, shortens ferry travel time (the weakest link in the chain), and can potentially benefit the environment in a number of ways.  Too bad NIMBYism is likely to prevent that from happening in the short and middle term.

$ will prevent that from happening, perhaps a slight benefit tourism-wise but not much else, the costs to build alone would be devastating there is simply zero scenario where that makes sense. The fuel consumption by vehicles would also be adding greenhouse gases.

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

$ will prevent that from happening, perhaps a slight benefit tourism-wise but not much else, the costs to build alone would be devastating there is simply zero scenario where that makes sense. The fuel consumption by vehicles would also be adding greenhouse gases.

The cars will all be electric! It’s the “left” coast. This is the land of Tesla. Musk makes billions here. Build a bridge. Build three! 

Up here, in Powell River, a group called 'Third Crossing Society" has been trying to gather support for a land route from the Squamish area to Powell River.

They have a few 'potential' routes' drawn on a map, that is hanging on the wall in the Town Center Mall.

Way, way expensive- drill a tunnel  through a mountain, to avoid a glacier/mountain peak, a few small bridges etc.

Here is a bit more info on the idea

https://revelstoke.civicweb.net/document/78378/#:~:text=Third Crossing Society la-7624 Duncan Street Powell River%2C,between northern Vancouver Island and the Central Interior.

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/PowellRiverFuture/

And a 8 minute  long vid on You Tube

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

40 minute trip, the coffee is not bad.

is it 40mins from horseshoe bay to naniamo?? i swear it was almost 2hrs last time i went to pick up my kitty. coffee is ok but overpriced i'm happy with my mcd or timmy's coffee i'm not picky.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

is it 40mins from horseshoe bay to naniamo?? i swear it was almost 2hrs last time i went to pick up my kitty. coffee is ok but overpriced i'm happy with my mcd or timmy's coffee i'm not picky.

About an hour and 35 minutes, gives time to unload, then load and go, on a 2 hr schedule.

Langdale to Horseshoe Bay is 40 minutes.