The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson, Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd-round pick; Sharks acquire Mikael Granlund, Jan Rutta, Mike Hoffman, 2024 1st-round pick; Canadiens acquire Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, 2025 2nd-round pick

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya it's like the rest of the owners have no interest in winning the cup themselves and are ok with other teams "helping" each other under the table. 

I know hey. The mental gymnastics some people must come up with to justify these crazy ideas is just wild. The entire concept is just bizarre to be honest.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

54 minutes ago, rekker said:

Just the opposite. Dubas is overrated because some think he looks smart. Just the opposite as it shows all the time that he never played the game and lacks the experience to put together a team to win in the playoffs. 

Dubas is smart. He wanted Karlson, he pulls off moves to achieve his goal, that is smart. Also I have never heard of GMs needing to play the game to be successful - where do you come up with that? 

The Leafs under Dubas has reached 100-115 points every year in the regular season. That is an achievement in itself. Sure your counter argument's going to be they have Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander.. So why are the Canucks not hitting 100 point seasons with Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Demko? Matthews is just 1 year older than Pettersson lol. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I know hey. The mental gymnastics some people must come up with to justify these crazy ideas is just wild. The entire concept is just bizarre to be honest.

Well it’s not owners first of all it’s GMs.

Second of all it’s not some crazy idea to think there’s an inner club of GMs or even owners in the NHL. It exists in all walks of business so to think the NHL is different is naive.

Also The NHL brand staying strong is good for all owners. So being able to see Crosby in the playoffs is good for business. Pretty easy to understand when you realize profits are the number 1 goal.

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You really don’t understand what the old boys club is do you? :lol:

It’s no different than politicians doing each other favours for returned favours later.

If you don’t understand that this is how the business world works and the focus is often more on keeping the total brand of the NHL strong then you’re naive.

Aha, OK. I am really interested to see what Pitt gives back to both Montreal and SJ in the future then. Obviously you have little practical experience of the real business world. Sure, owners do background deals to enhance their businesses like interests. They don't do their direct competitors lopsided favors for kicks though. Hockey is also different then most businesses in that success is measured in visible assets. As in we all saw the the trade. This isn't some behind the scenes deal. So what about the rest of the Metropolitan division. They're on board with this too because it's good for hockey somehow. How is it good for hockey anyway?

I mean if you think they NHL is fake why are you even here? I stopped watching WWF wrestling when I was 10 because it wasn't real.

28 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Dubas is smart. He wanted Karlson, he pulls off moves to achieve his goal, that is smart. Also I have never heard of GMs needing to play the game to be successful - where do you come up with that? 

The Leafs under Dubas has reached 100-115 points every year in the regular season. That is an achievement in itself. Sure your counter argument's going to be they have Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander.. So why are the Canucks not hitting 100 point seasons with Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Horvat, Demko? Matthews is just 1 year older than Pettersson lol. 

He's an absolute idiot.  The reason you want someone in charge who has played the game is so they understand what the hockey people are telling him.  He keeps bringing in defencemen who can't play defence, fired a coach who wanted to force his overpaid floaters to start putting in an acceptable effort, and insisted on keeping all of those floaters even after it became clear that none of them care about winning.  He then proceeded to whine about the sacrifices needed to do the GM job while wondering why the players don't put in the effort needed to succeed in the playoffs, all while being insubordinate to his boss who actually does understand the sport.

Dubas is simply not qualified to work in any job in hockey ops beyond possibly getting the coffee under adult supervision.  He is exhibit A as to why you don't let an analytics dweeb with zero understanding of the sport make hockey decisions.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Lol. Not every GM can get as much as they could though.

That’s ridiculous to think any GM is gonna get some kind of standard value. That’s proven to not be true time and time again.

It’s not my opinion its based on countless analysts, insiders, and scouts giving their opinion of what he’s worth. And I can tell you it was more than a single late 1st round pick.

I can only imagine if Benning made a trade like this. Fans would be crucifying him. :lol:

They couldn't even give him away last year. Well Grier is an idiot then if he passed up better offers. I don't know why he would do that though. I guess it's all part of the doing favors thing to make other teams better. What a funny sport.

In all seriousness I think any predictions on his worth subsided greatly as time went on. Obviously.

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well it’s not owners first of all it’s GMs.

Second of all it’s not some crazy idea to think there’s an inner club of GMs or even owners in the NHL. It exists in all walks of business so to think the NHL is different is naive.

Also The NHL brand staying strong is good for all owners. So being able to see Crosby in the playoffs is good for business. Pretty easy to understand when you realize profits are the number 1 goal.

So Montreal and SJ are part of the inner circle I guess? Crosby in the playoffs outweighs the sport itself. Okay. I honestly can't understand why you would bother in any capacity with the NHL if you think the conspiracy goes as far as 3 way team trades to benefit one team. That's like buying 50/50 tickets when you know the4 draw is rigged. i wouldn't call it a smart move.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not at the expense of your brands reputation. That's horrible business sense to blatantly cheat your customers for pure fraud when you already have a very successful product.

34 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The Penguins are an injury of their top three, Crosby, Letang, and Malkin, from not making the playoffs, even with Karlsson in the lineup. Is he going to be the SJ Shark of last season or revert back to the guy he was in a few years previous? With Guentzil (sp) out for who knows how long, I say the offense is going to be pretty thin.

San Jose loses a huge contract which they should have never taken on, they weren't winning with the lineup they had when they acquired him, and pick up a first next season which might be the middle of the pack if the Pens don't make the playoffs.

Who knows what the Habs are doing.

They actually have a solid top 6 with Smith joining the ranks.  Guentzil had ankle surgery and will return in

early November.   Crosby, Malkin, Rakell and Rusk played in all 82 games, while Guenzil and Smith (Vegas)

played in 78 games.  Not bad for heavy minute top 6 players.

Guentzil   Crosby  Rakell

Smith    Malkin   Rust

Solid goal-tending tandem

The bottom 6 needs some help.

Neito/Pitlick   Carter   Acciari

"        Ellis    Nylander

Top 4 pairing is very good

Graves     Karlsson  *Graves will allow Karlsson to play his best offensive game

Pettersson   Letang  *Solid pairing that can play offense and defence

Joseph    Ruhwedel/Smith  *Smith has top 4 potential

The top 6, along with Karlsson and Letang will add a lot of offence.  I think the Pens will make

the playoffs and with the competitiveness and experience of their core players, they may do

very well.

What they lack is depth, which may end up being their greatest weakness.  Dubas is probably

not finished with his improvements on the team.

• Upvote 1

Interesting news to wake up to. Appears a fairly balanced trade for all 3 squads.

The BIG, overall winner? Ottawa Sens. Excellent production from EK65(Hoffman too, to a degree) then turn that asset into TWO top young C's?! Whoa..larceny.

edit: Correction, THREE good young C's..Stutzle, Norris & Ostapchuk. Unbelievable

How bad would the outrage be on these boards, had a prev GM consummated such a deal? Way worse than the OEL fiasco.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Also The Leafs' playoffs exits were against presidents trophy teams or teams that eventually made it to the cup finals, there were a few exceptions but it goes to show the quality of teams Toronto faced in the playoffs. 

Now one could call this an excuse but I remember the years Canucks would be eliminated during the Sedin era many here would defend the team saying they lost to teams that ended up winning the cup.   

Not just the Sedin era, we have a long history of doing that going back to 1989.    It's fun to bash the leafs ... 40% of the cap "tied up into 4 players", yet well we did that too ... it did get us two presidents trophies (not by much but it did) and a finals too.   Luongo, Sedins and Kesler.   Was a great time to be a fan, but in our division we had SJ to worry about and that was it really.   CHI of course and that was awesome.    TO, they also have had to work their butts off, as a 8% higher taxed team than we were back then (thanks NDP!),  to make it work.    In the end it is what it is.   We just have to hope EP, QHs, Miller, Demko and crew can get it done this time.   Don't lose faith! 

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He's alive and well on these boards living rent free in people's heads and in every single thread. ;)

PTBD is serious stuff.  We went from 6 years of great success with Gillis to 8 years of what Benning did. 

• Cheers 2