The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

Either QH or JT would do just fine imo. My money is on Quinn. 

Just as important as who is captain is getting the decision made and announced prior to seasons puck drop. 

Failure to designate a captain prior to opening night is just going to create yet another distraction contributing  to uncertainty amongst the players and fanbase as to this teams identity. 

We already have key players whose start date is questionable. Seems like every year has turmoil of one sort or another before we’ve even played a game. Would be nice to have a season start with minimal unknowns and distractions. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

Horfat Wallet was an even worse captain than Naslund. A stat padding puck sucker. A true dumparoo!

At the time Horvat was named captain It was him or tanev or Edler, everyone else was trash or just brought in... He did his best with the disaster line up and lack plan attitude the team ownership had at the time. 

We all saw how Tanev was treated .. and elder also walked. 

They clearly expected a quicker turn around. Draft Horvat, Jake, Demko, Boeser, OJ, etc And team built.. I know that order is slightly out

Wasn't till Petey and Quin were on the back burner the real build started, even Demko if he doesn't perform this year and next will be moved, its really a perpetual thing... but blaming Horvat for being the captain after the time following a 10 year up doesn't make sense. Naslunds career was ruined by a cheap shot that was rectified but albeit aggressively... Or he would maybe have helped a cup final so... What your point?

Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

At the time Horvat was named captain It was him or tanev or Edler, everyone else was trash or just brought in... He did his best with the disaster line up and lack plan attitude the team ownership had at the time. 

We all saw how Tanev was treated .. and elder also walked. 

They clearly expected a quicker turn around. Draft Horvat, Jake, Demko, Boeser, OJ, etc And team built.. I know that order is slightly out

Wasn't till Petey and Quin were on the back burner the real build started, even Demko if he doesn't perform this year and next will be moved, its really a perpetual thing... but blaming Horvat for being the captain after the time following a 10 year up doesn't make sense. Naslunds career was ruined by a cheap shot that was rectified but albeit aggressively... Or he would maybe have helped a cup final so... What your point?

My point was poking fun at@Alflives.

Edited by Citizen Erased

48 minutes ago, Wise Guy said:

Imagine you're the captain of any other NHL team and in the dressing room pre-game you say " are we gonna get beat by Huggy Bears team?" Sadly I am officially writing off this season now. We're still going to be a fun team to play against.

You think other teams call him Huggy Bear? :picard: 

That’s literally a dumb nickname that only fans still use.

Also yes they would be afraid to lose to him because he’s a dynamic skater that can skate circles around them. Most teams game plans revolve around shutting him down. 

All around dumb statement from a clearly fair weather fan.

• Upvote 1

Its smart in the sense that if you make Petey the captain, he's going to be pestered non stop about his contract situation in the media scrums. 

Heard a lot of good things about Hughe's leadership in the locker room, and Petey probably prefers not having that distraction to focus on the season.

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Its smart in the sense that if you make Petey the captain, he's going to be pestered non stop about his contract in the media scrums. 

Heard a lot of good things about Hughe's leadership in the locker room, and Petey probably prefers not having that distraction to focus on the season.

Yeah I also think the types of people that they are, Petey needs/likes to fly under the radar. He wants to be the best, but he doesn't have to be the best speaker, just focus on points. Skating and passing seems to come so naturally to Hughes that I don't think a little extra scrutiny or interviews will affect his on ice performance and he looks like he wants it - becoming more of a leader at the right time, when we need one.

Miller is another obvious choice but is obviously a bit older already whereas Quinn could be cap for a decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wise Guy said:

Imagine you're the captain of any other NHL team and in the dressing room pre-game you say " are we gonna get beat by Huggy Bears team?" Sadly I am officially writing off this season now. We're still going to be a fun team to play against.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Also yes they would be afraid to lose to him because he’s a dynamic skater that can skate circles around them. Most teams game plans revolve around shutting him down. 

Surprised this is even a serious comment.

"are we going to be beaten by Huggy bear" as he dances around your entire line & feeds it to Petey for an easy goal. You don't think people respect Quinn Hughes?? This guy is one of the best D in the league, and in the 0.1% of the 1% skaters in the league. Crazy comment. 

I'm sure as hell not betting against Quinn Hughes, and I'll tell you that for free.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Actually, we didn’t pick the name. The players did (thanks to Brandon Sutter)…we just go with it…  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-quinn-hughes-embraces-nickname-thankful-star/?sn-amp

• Like 1

I think the C would weigh on JT and possibly affect his game.  He seems to have hinted at the fact that he prefers to ignore the media.  Well that's not happening if you're the captain.  He gets frustrated fairly often.  I don't think we should compound the issue.  

He would be a great captain in terms of the example he sets and the things he brings on the ice.  His leadership certainly benefits the team.  If RT was to put give Miller the C I'd definitely support the decision.  Tocchet is much better positioned to make an informed decision than any of us.  Quinn just feels like the logical choice both on and off the ice.  The arguments against him seem to boil down to "he's small" or "he's young" lol.  That's pretty weak.  (hockey DB has him listed as about the same size as Sakic and Yzerman.  Quinn is also older than either of those guys when they were named captains)

It seems like those in support of JT are a little less reasonable.  Looks like a lot are ready to be mad if they don't get their way.  Or am I reading that wrong?