The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

54 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

At the end of the day, it’s the team and coach who ought to decide. I’m ok now with whoever gets it, they know a lot more than us as to who is their best leader both on and off the ice. 

I am just hoping for something new. We need a new attitude and desire to win at all costs. We have been way to comfortable with losing. If we are behind in a game, I would like to see this team find a way to fight back. A change would be good either way.

• Like 1

Management should decide on captaincy. Voting can lead to issues in the room and might end up a popularity contest. What if a player wanted the captaincy and view themselves already as a leader ended up with little to no vote from his teammates? Ego and feeling will be hurt. Should be a management coaches decision. 

• Like 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Management should decide on captaincy. Voting can lead to issues in the room and might end up a popularity contest. What if a player wanted the captaincy and view themselves already as a leader ended up with little to no vote from his teammates? Ego and feeling will be hurt. Should be a management coaches decision. 

Plus what if the player voted to be captain declined? Clearly this is and should be a management (coaches) decision. IMHAO it’s best to wait another year. 

Reports: Canucks likely to name Quinn Hughes as team's next captain

The Canucks choosing Hughes as their next captain appears to be a no-brainer, but there's also some risk involved.

Sat, September 9, 2023 at 12:09 PM PDT

Quinn Hughes stands as one of the biggest sources of optimism for the Vancouver Canucks, so it makes sense that he’s reportedly on the verge of becoming their next captain.

As the Daily Hive notes, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman and CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal rank among those who believe the 23-year-old will soon wear the “C” in Vancouver.

Bo Horvat served as Canucks captain for the past four seasons before being traded. The team didn’t have a captain in 2018-19 after Henrik Sedin’s long run in the role
MM360HandAnimation.gif

It's looking like Quinn Hughes will be rocking the

It's looking like Quinn Hughes will be rocking the "C" on his chest for the Canucks next season and beyond. (Photo by Jeff Vinnick/NHLI via Getty Images)

For the most part, the Canucks choosing Hughes as their next captain is the closest thing to a no-brainer for a franchise that sometimes appears out of its mind. Judging by a poll Dhaliwal ran recently, it’s something fans can get behind.

Canucks reporter for the Athletic, Thomas Drance, also believes it's Hughes' time.

"I think the signs are all pointing to Quinn Hughes..," he told Dhali on Friday.

It sure sounds like Hughes gets a vote from Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet, too. During a May interview with Missin’ Curfew, Tocchet stated that Hughes was on a "trajectory" to become captain. Tocchet also praised Hughes for speaking up and saying things in uncomfortable situations.

When asked, Hughes sounded ready to take on the role.

"I'm very comfortable. I've had a lot of great mentors... It's an honour to play here, with the fans so passionate. If that ever happened, it'd be an honour as well," Hughes told The Daily Hive's Rob Williams.

Hughes makes sense as Canucks captain, but could he suffer on a directionless team?

If all things were equal, there’d be real room to debate Hughes versus Elias Pettersson as Canucks captain. In reality, Hughes is signed for the mid-term future ($7.85 million cap hit through 2026-27) while Pettersson approaches what could be a franchise-altering contract year.

With Pettersson’s contract negotiations "on hold," it makes Hughes the easy captain call for the Canucks. Such a choice might even distract fans from worrying about Pettersson’s future.

All of that said, Vancouver Is Awesome's Daniel Wagner posed an interesting question: What if Hughes is ready to be captain, but the Canucks aren’t in the right spot to name one at all?

“ … let’s make sure the ship isn’t sinking before naming a new captain, as that new captain might go down with the ship.”

Fair or not, when a team fails or succeeds, top players and coaches tend to receive too much of the blame or praise. While naming Hughes captain ultimately still looks like the right call for the Canucks, there’s definitely some risk that the young blueliner may face critiques that should instead be lobbed at an often-clueless front office.

Then again, that might just come with the territory of being a captain in the NHL — especially north of the border.

• Huggy Bear 3

It certainly sounds like it’ll be Quinn Hughes. I wonder though, has there ever been a smaller captain in the NHL?

And is this slightly symbolic of the fact the Canucks have been too soft for too long? That’s partly why I like the Miller option. We’ve had captains who’ve been non-factors physically in many recent years, with Hank, Markus, Bo, and Lu. I crave for those Linden days when the captain would lay out a big hit from time to time.

13 minutes ago, Slegr said:

It certainly sounds like it’ll be Quinn Hughes. I wonder though, has there ever been a smaller captain in the NHL?

And is this slightly symbolic of the fact the Canucks have been too soft for too long? That’s partly why I like the Miller option. We’ve had captains who’ve been non-factors physically in many recent years, with Hank, Markus, Bo, and Lu. I crave for those Linden days when the captain would lay out a big hit from time to time.

Steve Yzerman was one of the greatest captains ever.

He was the same size as Hughes…

People in this market have some weird obsession with size. :lol:

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Detroit also had a bunch of deterrents built in to ensure nobody messed with their captain… like extreme tough guys and a deadly power play. We have neither. One thing I always felt when the Sedins were in their prime is that players always had to protect the Sedins. It would be kind of nice if we didn’t have to worry about protecting our captain. 

Just now, Slegr said:

Detroit also had a bunch of deterrents built in to ensure nobody messed with their captain… like extreme tough guys and a deadly power play. We have neither. One thing I always felt when the Sedins were in their prime is that players always had to protect the Sedins. It would be kind of nice if we didn’t have to worry about protecting our captain. 

That’s a completely different argument.

Team needs to get tougher I won’t argue that. The captains size has zero relevance to that. 

Teams didn’t pick on Bo even though he was a softy. And they’re not gonna pick on Hughes.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That’s a completely different argument.

Team needs to get tougher I won’t argue that. The captains size has zero relevance to that. 

Teams didn’t pick on Bo even though he was a softy. And they’re not gonna pick on Hughes.

Bo played like a softy for sure, but he’s 215 pounds, and could handle himself physically. He just didn’t go out of his way to use his physicality to benefit the team in any consistent way.

Hughes is 5’10, 180 pounds, a smidge shorter and lighter than Stevie Y, with no heavy weights on the team to protect him if someone wants to run him. It’ll just be something the team will learn to deal with - luckily Hughes can avoid a lot of contact. But he’ll be a bigger target with the captaincy, especially come playoffs.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Plus what if the player voted to be captain declined? Clearly this is and should be a management (coaches) decision. IMHAO it’s best to wait another year. 

i don't think the player will decline if they vote.. they prolly ask for who is interested in the captaincy and then vote out of those players.. but like i said egos and feeling might get hurt say if 1 person have 95% of the votes.. for most people it's probably no big deal but not everyone operates the same.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Henry Richard was 5’7 and 160. He was the captain of the Canadiens and won the Cup 11 times. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Henry Richard was 5’7 and 160. He was the captain of the Canadiens and won the Cup 11 times. 

Nice sleuthing, thanks. Hughes won’t be the smallest NHL captain of all time. Some guy born in 1936 will continue to hold that status.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I think what people are after is more passion and raw emotion

i like this idea

the stoic captain has been around for too long, lets see some emotion

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Nice sleuthing, thanks. Hughes won’t be the smallest NHL captain of all time. Some guy born in 1936 will continue to hold that status.

No “sleuthing”.  Watched the Pocket Rocket play. Lots of smaller guys were captains and great ones too, who led their clubs to Cups. Crosby isn’t exactly a hulking giant either. 
Hughes would be a fine captain and certainly better than our last one. He’s still not my choice. IMHAO we should go without a Captain for this next year. 

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Bo played like a softy for sure, but he’s 215 pounds, and could handle himself physically. He just didn’t go out of his way to use his physicality to benefit the team in any consistent way.

Hughes is 5’10, 180 pounds, a smidge shorter and lighter than Stevie Y, with no heavy weights on the team to protect him if someone wants to run him. It’ll just be something the team will learn to deal with - luckily Hughes can avoid a lot of contact. But he’ll be a bigger target with the captaincy, especially come playoffs.

You don't need to be big to be a good captain.  You need to be a good leader to be a good captain.  There are many ways to express good leadership - I'm not sure why you're so hooked on size.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Funny Hughes has never had an issue with being “run” even on soft teams and even in the playoffs. 

Silly to think teams will be able to suddenly target him because he has the C. It’s a non issue. 

Worry about hypotheticals if/when they happen otherwise you’re just another Canucks fan looking for something to complain about.