The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Topic} Odds say Canucks miss playoffs

Rate this topic

Hairy Kneel

10 minutes ago, Devron said:

They do every year but what people are forgetting is we were a .500 team without Demko. We were rolling with AHL goaltending with poor defensive structure last year 

Unfortunately even that doesn't mean alot since the 'loser point' was started.  For example, under the *DISASTER* season of Torts, team actually was just a bit over .500.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think LA has the D or goaltending. 

Seattle lost Soucy, their best player (jk)

I think there's too much at stake with the Canucks not getting into the playoffs again. It'll be a team mindset from Day 1 of training camp.

I don't agree with the oddsmakers, whoever those guys are. Probably live out east. 

This isn't some media blowhard airing his s**** opinions. Gambling websites don't care about east or west, they only care about how much revenue they will earn at the end of the day. Now what you can argue is that the odds-makers tend to skew themselves heavily in the direction of past performance and aren't necessarily great at predicting future performance. Even still they are far more objective than you and I because their money is tied to making successful predictions. That should easily make them far more successful at predicting performance compared to the average fan who is emotionally invested in the success of their favourite team. For the record I am predicting that the Canucks do make the playoffs but we are far from a lock and I don't think setting the line at 88.5 points is outlandish.

• Cheers 2

did the article bother to say which odds makers they are quoting?

Also the odds makers are setting it up so no matter what happens they make money; so they are not going to have the odds and the likely hood as the same numbers. 

Edited by Gurn
  • There it is 1

18 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The grim reality of the Benning era is that very little was actually accomplished.  Back in 2014 we all knew that a rebuild was necessary but it never came.  And when the Rutherford / Allvin regime took over, there were serious problems with the way the team was structured even though, inexplicably, there existed 3 very good building block pieces in Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.  I would discount the 8 years under Benning except for these 3 players but it is frustrating that besides them, the team cap structure and prospect pool was still holding them back.

Now, enter Rutherford and Allvin and they need a number of seasons to clean up the mess.  I see, stepwise, cap issues and depth improving and this is all that any reasonable fan can hope for.  As long as there is movement in the right direction, and we are seeing it, I cannot complain.  If the Canucks make the playoffs next year, that would be wonderful but if it takes longer so be it.

There will be no pressure from this fan for the Canucks to make the playoffs this season.  There is still work to be done.

Judging by the level of optimism here in this thread, I say there is quite a lot of fan pressure for the Canucks to make it.  Like you, I do think it's misguided optimism simply because of how competitive our division is.

Not surprised.  We overrate our 'core.' 

The team is designed for a few players to rack up points- its not designed to win or contend for anything of relevance.  We will finish outside the playoff picture unless they bring in a legit top 3 dman, add some size and to top 6 and shed some of our softer one dimensional players.  

5 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Yeah the Knights and Oilers are going to be in.  Kings, Kraken, Flames and Canucks are all in the same boat.  One spot left.  So it will come down to the Canucks up against 3-4 other teams.  At least we don't have to worry about the Sharks or Ducks having runs.

Which if those teams get a favourable schedule will help as well with a slight edge in their favour

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The grim reality of the Benning era is that very little was actually accomplished.  Back in 2014 we all knew that a rebuild was necessary but it never came.  And when the Rutherford / Allvin regime took over, there were serious problems with the way the team was structured even though, inexplicably, there existed 3 very good building block pieces in Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.  I would discount the 8 years under Benning except for these 3 players but it is frustrating that besides them, the team cap structure and prospect pool was still holding them back.

Now, enter Rutherford and Allvin and they need a number of seasons to clean up the mess.  I see, stepwise, cap issues and depth improving and this is all that any reasonable fan can hope for.  As long as there is movement in the right direction, and we are seeing it, I cannot complain.  If the Canucks make the playoffs next year, that would be wonderful but if it takes longer so be it.

There will be no pressure from this fan for the Canucks to make the playoffs this season.  There is still work to be done.

but there will be pressure for the canucks to make the playoff if they want to get EP to re-sign or even re-sign at a slight discount.. if we are to go thru the season again.. right at the edge of playoff.. miss again.. stuck with another 14-16 pick.. and then EP decides he had enough.. boy we are in for a tough long rebuild with nothing much in the prospect pool.. sure we have willander, raty, lemm and whoever else.. but none of those are even in the top 50 drafted prospect lemm was top 70ish prior to the draft but prolly closer to 100 now after the draft.. dont even think raty makes the list.. if this season fails again.. there's a 50/50 chance EP might bolt and we either rebuild or have to retool around hughes and miller.

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I really hope we make it, we've suffered enough, I'm tired of watching the playoffs & getting my joy/excitement from cheering against teams. 

It sucks. I hardly pay attention in the playoffs. Just hope for teams like Vegas not to win. Sigh 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Me I think if we get a breakout year for a 3c and the fourth plays decent we should make it.

Best thing we can do is trade a couple players like Brock 1 to 1.5 retained, plus Hogs or Rathbone and a fourth to get that C or in a Myers deal after his bonus with something similar.

That way we get 3 named centers to produce or another RHD and send Myers packing.

If we can do that we will be playoff bound.

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I really hope we make it, we've suffered enough, I'm tired of watching the playoffs & getting my joy/excitement from cheering against teams. 

meh and we'll probably continue to suffer in the cycle of missing the playoff and then sneaking in the playoff get knocked out again until FA is gone.. yes he's willing to spend money but he likes to take shortcuts every step along the way hence why we have been mediocre for almost a decade now.

• Cheers 1

If we stay really healthy yeah I can totally see us making the playoffs. 

I don’t think our roster can suffer any significant injury times, especially on D. 

Consistency is key though and that’s been the struggle. We have too many spurts of good and bad play.  Need more consistency in the first half of the year especially. 

If the pacific is good next year it could cause problems and if it isn’t then it could open a pathway. 

A lot of variables. It will be interesting. 

• Cheers 1

Eastern media says we're crap the oddsmakers say we're crap. Even some cdc'ers say we don't have a chance. 

You know what?

fk dos guys

We're going to do this thing an make the 1st round 

Then go from there and see what happens 

• Like 2