The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Nowadays I just don’t have the energy to really watch and invest my time in hockey. I have my first child on the way and a lot of my focus is on that and family. i joined these forums as a 17 year old back in 2012 and now leavinf these boards as a grown ass man. went through a lot over the years and ive always found myself around these boards even when life has thrown curveballs at me. 

I was thinking of joining the new forums but i think this is it for me for now. im just not on the internet as much and i dont find myself having the energy to engage in meaningful discussions.

it really was a pleasure being on these forums. Truly. I will miss so many of you.

Reflecting back my thoughts are similar. I remember the WCE era when I first started posting here back as a teenager. Now, I am a married father of 2 children and just don't have the time or energy to focus on much else outside of work and focusing on my family.

Thanks for the all the memories.  This was a great community and it's a damn shame it is coming to an end just like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Come and join us   https://www.forumcanucks.com

300 strong and growing!

I’ve registered on the new forums, and this will be my last post here. Nice to see so many folks on the new site already! C’mon over everyone!

I’ve had blast here over the years. GDT’s were so often more fun than the games themselves and kept me sane during some dark seasons.

Adios my amigos :towel:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Interesting

This is spreading

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-team-shuts-down-popular-website-fan-forums-fans-lament-the-loss/wcm/5491405e-cd47-470a-969e-c1e957aac515

And fancy that. 

And from time to time, senior executives of the team would push to shut down the message boards, often because they’d come across a thread critical of the team, but the team’s digital staff always pushed back, saying that the community it provided, shown in the high number of page views

Please share this on the new site!

I would do it but I do not want to steal your thunder!

As I continue to explore my options as to how I will express my Canuck fandom in the digital sphere, I find myself reflecting with some sadness that in all of our time here together we’ve never had a Cup win to celebrate. I am still wary of this new management regime and basically now my hopes for a Canuck Stanley Cup win really centers on my dad….the guy who got me introduced to hockey and the Canucks in the late 70’s. My dad is getting older, seemingly quicker with each year. I really want him to see a Cup win.

Sorry for the melancholy vibes, but this forum’s shuttering just has me in a bit of a reflective malaise in regards to the (often painful) history of this club. I probably do need to set myself up at the new place for Canuck talk. That will help. But also, I’m going to be checking out bunch of training camp days over in Victoria. That should also help. Seeing the boys on the ice always has the effect of instilling some semblance of optimism.

But still, what a bummer this has been.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I've been a here lurking and getting my news here since 2003 when i moved to Chicago! Back then it was the hockey armpit of the world to me and nothing ever could change that opinion, even Stanley cups! These forums where a breath of fresh air and a taste of home! Going to miss all you guys and gals! Stay passionate about the things you love! Go Canucks Go!

PS - look on the bright side! At least you don't have to lock your liquor cabinet anymore because of Alf! :)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, puckstopper said:

I've been a here lurking and getting my news here since 2003 when i moved to Chicago! Back then it was the hockey armpit of the world to me and nothing ever could change that opinion, even Stanley cups! These forums where a breath of fresh air and a taste of home! Going to miss all you guys and gals! Stay passionate about the things you love! Go Canucks Go!

PS - look on the bright side! At least you don't have to lock your liquor cabinet anymore because of Alf! :)

It seems like it but next thing you know @Alflives is creeping around https://www.forumcanucks.com/

Then you’re swatting him with your broom all over again.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

It seems like it but next thing you know @Alflives is creeping around https://www.forumcanucks.com/

Then you’re swatting him with your broom all over again.

Oh joy, that means continued drops of such gems as “Horfat”. :rolleyes: Guess it was too much to hope for that the new place might shoot for a higher level of discourse, lol.

• There it is 1