The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

3 hours ago, stawns said:

that's just a dumb take on it

https://www.forumcanucks.com/

This site looks like it will be almost identical except Vintage is taking a little break.

We'll just have to make up for it by committee. 

You can't just replace a player ... er I mean poster like @Vintage Canuck :towel:

Hope to see you there. I really appreciate your calm demeanor towards the players, especially those people gang up on. Your coaching and playing background and unique views are very much appreciated as well.

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

https://www.forumcanucks.com/

This site looks like it will be almost identical except Vintage is taking a little break.

We'll just have to make up for it by committee. 

You can't just replace a player ... er I mean poster like @Vintage Canuck :towel:

Hope to see you there. I really appreciate your calm demeanor towards the players, especially those people gang up on. Your coaching and playing background and unique views are very much appreciated as well.

While I've relocated, my robot powers are still left behind. ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Yoooooo CDC homies, this is sad. I feel deep empathy for many long time posters that cared for this forum. This has been a go to place for me regularly for 15ish years. I cant express my gratitude for yall enough. I will join any new site this collective follows. 

Screw rogers. Boycot rogers or whoever made this bad decision. 

• There it is 1

I don't really remember exactly when I joined. It was post 2011 I believe. Sedins, Jannik and Kessler were still around. My handle at the time was NexusRift.

There was a glitch with CDC a lil' while back and I had to sign in again with what is now Sativika.

I can't express enough how much I enjoy being a part of CDC. I've belonged to a few forum sites and was a Mod on a couple. All voluntary, all fun! I guess online forums are going by the wayside. It's really a product made for desktop computers, of which I'm using right now and have been since 1997.

I'm an oldster and have yet to use my old iPhone6 for anything other than calls and texts; still use email, and FB. Point I'm making I guess, is that it's out with the old and in with the new. At least there's hockey to watch. Gonna catch the youngens on the CanucksYouTube at 2pm.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yea makes no sense.

What happened was FA came on here and didn't like seeing what the critics thought of the team, his personal business dealings,  and family drama.

Insecure Billionaires. Talk about 1st world to the exponential extreme problems. Poor baby Francesco.

On 9/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, DeNiro said:

Looks like the Province has already put out a story about it. Pretty much confirms members of the media are on here.

Maybe if enough people speak out they’ll reverse course.

It's basically been an open secret for years, media folks would troll the forum for article material, ideas, and stances 

We did a lot of their work for them

You knew it, a lot of us did 

There would be discussion and articles mirroring said discussion would pop up

On 9/16/2023 at 12:27 PM, Odd. said:

Nowadays I just don’t have the energy to really watch and invest my time in hockey. I have my first child on the way and a lot of my focus is on that and family. i joined these forums as a 17 year old back in 2012 and now leavinf these boards as a grown ass man. went through a lot over the years and ive always found myself around these boards even when life has thrown curveballs at me. 

I was thinking of joining the new forums but i think this is it for me for now. im just not on the internet as much and i dont find myself having the energy to engage in meaningful discussions.

it really was a pleasure being on these forums. Truly. I will miss so many of you.

Wishing you the best

On 9/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, Warhippy said:

Interesting

This is spreading

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-team-shuts-down-popular-website-fan-forums-fans-lament-the-loss/wcm/5491405e-cd47-470a-969e-c1e957aac515

And fancy that. 

And from time to time, senior executives of the team would push to shut down the message boards, often because they’d come across a thread critical of the team, but the team’s digital staff always pushed back, saying that the community it provided, shown in the high number of page views

Executives, management, and ownership out of touch with their source of income, the fanbase, shocker

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You knew it, a lot of us did 

Indeed. Why would any organization decline to use publicly available data to better themselves. You better believe someone in Canucks management kept tabs on it for fan sentiment, media used it, and I guarantee some player at some time couldn't resist checking it themselves.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Indeed. Why would any organization decline to use publicly available data to better themselves. You better believe someone in Canucks management kept tabs on it for fan sentiment, media used it, and I guarantee some player at some time couldn't resist checking it themselves.

It's easier than trying to wrangle twitter/x, keep tabs on CDC, HF, r/Canucks or r/Hockey, and maybe a few others and you'll have a pretty good bead on what sentiments are regarding this or that 

I'm sure they did to a degree, just seems like a wasted resource, a multimillion dollar company can afford to keep a forum afloat 

I understand that forums are antiquated to a degree, the internet has gradually changed, but they're still around and they're still used

Sometimes they just look a bit different

Players for sure, I doubt players just look at twitter, particularly the younger ones who'd have grown up with the more modern internet

Media, absolutely, CDC has been a gold mine for years and several media folks likely got their starts here as forum users

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

I don't really remember exactly when I joined. It was post 2011 I believe. Sedins, Jannik and Kessler were still around. My handle at the time was NexusRift.

There was a glitch with CDC a lil' while back and I had to sign in again with what is now Sativika.

I can't express enough how much I enjoy being a part of CDC. I've belonged to a few forum sites and was a Mod on a couple. All voluntary, all fun! I guess online forums are going by the wayside. It's really a product made for desktop computers, of which I'm using right now and have been since 1997.

I'm an oldster and have yet to use my old iPhone6 for anything other than calls and texts; still use email, and FB. Point I'm making I guess, is that it's out with the old and in with the new. At least there's hockey to watch. Gonna catch the youngens on the CanucksYouTube at 2pm.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!

I find desktops have more way more powerful operating procedures. Both the function and the programming are far better. Phones are dumbing everything down so much in order to make them easy to use ... but in the end they lack creativity and overall end results. They are trying more and more to make desktops look and operate like a phone. It's annoying to no end.

This was my go-to forum during game day thread and post game threads for any little plays and insight during a hockey game.  It is also a place where I gather info of our own prospects' development all over the years whether they have made the team or a bust.  I enjoyed those little features on CDC since early 2000 during heyday of WCE.   I'll miss this place for sure.  Farewell, CDC.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1