The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

5 hours ago, Toews said:

The Canucks official website is under the domain nhl.com, but the forum is under the domain name canucks.com. Its literally right there in your search bar. Again if the NHL was the one shutting down forums then they would have closed all of them down at once and not left some alive and closed down others. 

It is possible nhl told every team to shut down their forum by end of year and Canucks decided to do it now

On 9/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, -SN- said:

Alternative: https://www.forumcanucks.com

So...this is obviously a disappointment. The decision wasn't mine, but apologies for the timing, I know it's a bit awkward with the season so close. Like many of you, this forum has been a big part of my life. I've always used it as my source for news and discussion, and I've enjoyed the many many personalities that have been through. I also didn't enjoy a few, but even those battles will be remembered fondly.

As to why? I can't tell you that - but I think there is a focus on other social media channels now, and the forum hasn't been seeing a lot of growth.

There are of course some existing alternatives, but none of them have the same long-form format as we have here.

To try to support the existing community and provide a place where everyone can continue, or simply come together, I've booted up a new forum at https://www.forumcanucks.com/ (soon to likely be https://www.canucksfanforum.com). The structure mostly follows what is here to make moving over simple and easy, but of course it is open to suggestion and change. I'll keep it going as long as possible.

:metal:

Sad to see this forum go with all the great fans here chatting together and sharing their thoughts! A place where we can speak our minds about our hockey team. 

With 44 pages of messages here tells you how important this forum is to all of us!!! Hope to see everyone at the new forum and thanks to the person hosting it for all of us!!

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Nave said:

I'm actually so choked. Joined in 2015, but I lurked for long before that. 

This forum helped me through a really hard time, including a battle with schizophrenia, which I ended up on the other side stronger and wiser. At a time when I needed to condense my circle of friends to only those I trusted, these forums gave me a sense of connection around a team we all loved. 

I honestly don't know if I'll be as invested in the Canucks without CDC. 

Join us at our new fan run Unofficial Canucks Fan Forum at https://www.forumcanucks.com/

Run by the same mod team and lots of familiar names have already signed up. Hope to see you there. 

• There it is 2

I’m really bummed about this and I wish we had a reason for why this is happening, especially right when the new season is beginning. I already joined the new forum but I feel like it won’t be quite the same. 

I don’t post all that often but I do check the boards almost daily and have for years. Having grown up in Southern California, I never had Canuck fans to bond with in person. This forum has been a great way for me to connect with people who love the team I love and share my passion for this team. I think it’s unfair for anyone to take that away from us. Now I live in Washington so I get to go to a few home games a year and be around fans more which is great but this still a such a great outlet for me and so many others. Really really sucks. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I’m really bummed about this and I wish we had a reason for why this is happening, especially right when the new season is beginning. I already joined the new forum but I feel like it won’t be quite the same. 

I don’t post all that often but I do check the boards almost daily and have for years. Having grown up in Southern California, I never had Canuck fans to bond with in person. This forum has been a great way for me to connect with people who love the team I love and share my passion for this team. I think it’s unfair for anyone to take that away from us. Now I live in Washington so I get to go to a few home games a year and be around fans more which is great but this still a such a great outlet for me and so many others. Really really sucks. 

It won't be the same but the more we bring on board the longer this community survives.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea Bob.Loblaw said:

It won't be the same but the more we bring on board the longer this community survives.

Honestly, it's pretty damn close to the same. Same layout, style and a lot of the same people. Even the old threads have been carried over.

To me it's the same but even better because the fans have broken away from the franchise and created their own forum. That's how it should be. I'm actually starting to see this as a win win.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

It's not the same. It's better.

1 hour ago, sashimii said:

Honestly, it's pretty damn close to the same. Same layout, style and a lot of the same people. Even the old threads have been carried over.

To me it's the same but even better because the fans have broken away from the franchise and created their own forum. That's how it should be. I'm actually starting to see this as a win win.

Yes, I feel the same

I am not a big poster , but really enjoyed reading this forum for a very long time.

Im my opinion, one of the best places on Internet with unique mix of people from all over the world.

40 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Is our whole history going to be erased?  What about the burrows thread!!??

Already started a new thread in the other forum, but if there are particular posts you want to remember, then maybe take some screenshots and post there?

45 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Right??

That one should be in the hockey history books, it's epic. I hate the thought of it being gone. We have started a new one, but that old one holds all the good stuff.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Hey @goalie13, are you moving over to the new board? The 'predict the score' needs to find a new winner this year.

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

@goalie13 is there, his handle there is "Goalie29".

Yup.  I took the opportunity to update my jersey number.  ::D

I'll have the first PTSC thread up a few days before game 1.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

46 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Already started a new thread in the other forum, but if there are particular posts you want to remember, then maybe take some screenshots and post there?

41 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Right??

That one should be in the hockey history books, it's epic. I hate the thought of it being gone. We have started a new one, but that old one holds all the good stuff.

Dunno if Stealth has the capacity to do it, but I'm sure he could export the data from this forum and import it into the new forum.  Just not sure if it'd be worth his efforts.  That'd be a lot of work.