The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-giovinco-bradley-top-earners-mls/

'Caps are 16th out of 23 in team spending at just over $8 Million. That's about $18 million less than top spending TFC. (This is a league where you can buy a championship)

TFC have the top two earners in the league in Giovinco and Bradley, (both over 6 million per) with Jozy Altidore not far behind at 5 Million. In contrast the highest paid Whitecap is Kei Kamara at $1 million. What hurts even more however, is the fact that LA Galaxy somehow managed to land Ibra for $1.5 million. One has to wonder why Vancouver has never pulled off anything resembling that sort of coup.

It's been said many times: (but bears repeating, IMO) this team will go nowhere as long as Lenarduzzi is in charge and as long as ownership continues to try and compete on the cheap.

How much in transfer could that super young guy we have get?  I forgot his name, but he's really good.  Couldn't we use that transfer money to buy a really top player?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much in transfer could that super young guy we have get?  I forgot his name, but he's really good.  Couldn't we use that transfer money to buy a really top player?  

Davies. I don't know, but something tells me that if he fetched a big transfer fee, Lenarduzzi would use the money to buy a half dozen South and Central Americans at around 200k each...

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Davies. I don't know, but something tells me that if he fetched a big transfer fee, Lenarduzzi would use the money to buy a half dozen South and Central Americans at around 200k each...

Robinson knows how to make something from nothing...imagine what he could do with a bigger budget?

I think Lenarduzzi needs to shut it down. The nostalgia is nice but at some point this team needs fresh management before people stop watching.

On 10/05/2018 at 2:18 PM, Alflives said:

Doesn't matter how much transfer money we have as long as the deterrent Astro turf is in. Big euro stars are already looking to move to big American cities, the Astro turf is a reason big players wont play in Vancouver for their teams, let alone sign here. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Doesn't matter how much transfer money we have as long as the deterrent Astro turf is in. Big euro stars are already looking to move to big American cities, the Astro turf is a reason big players wont play in Vancouver for their teams, let alone sign here. 

I forgot about the turf issue.  I'm one of those who don't think soccer should be played on turf too.  It's not only dangerous, it makes for less skill in the game.  We need an outdoor stadium, like the one proposed by our owner a few years back.  It would have been awesome!  Stupid city.

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The "Old Whitecaps" still was able to sign this guy (granted he only played for one season for us) on the even WORSE type of Astro turf back at the old Empire Stadium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruud_Krol

Money slips thru our owners hand like they were covered in flypaper.  Makes me feel so fortunate we have a owner of the Canucks that isn't afraid to spend money - and lots of it.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I forgot about the turf issue.  I'm one of those who don't think soccer should be played on turf too.  It's not only dangerous, it makes for less skill in the game.  We need an outdoor stadium, like the one proposed by our owner a few years back.  It would have been awesome!  Stupid city.

Right? I mean who wouldn't have wanted a water front stadium with grass and the fella who wanted to make it happen was willing to foot most of the bill himself. Thanks city council! Instead we got a tiny hole in the roof of an ancient dome and it still cost a fortune.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Right? I mean who wouldn't have wanted a water front stadium with grass and the fella who wanted to make it happen was willing to foot most of the bill himself. Thanks city council! Instead we got a tiny hole in the roof of an ancient dome and it still cost a fortune.

We do have bike-lanes though, which the kids can play soccer in, because they are so rarely used. :lol:

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, RonMexico said:

But it's got pretty lights. 

That outdoor waterfront stadium would've been sweet.  Too bad this isn't feasible:

Image result for arizona stadium grass on rollers

The grass field gets rolled in on game days.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:40 AM, RonMexico said:

I believe the Port of Vancouver and the Canadian government were also being difficult about some land swap or something.  

That's at least a couple of goals given up near or during injury time this season.  Not a footy expert but those are two wins that have gotten away from the Caps, they held the play but a couple of lapses in coverage has resulted in draws.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a really shoddy and poorly played game by the caps today

2 players get red cards .. goodie for them i guess

this team has a big problem with red cards for a couple seasons now

and robinson is unable to correct this problem

what is with this team's mindset ?
4 - 0 loss after a break?  what excuses are meaningful?

and i have committed to going to the next game

due to request from an out of town guest

i hope i don't want to tear my eyes out from watching

or sound too much like a negative nelly

if the caps do not put out a decent professional effort

On 10/05/2018 at 2:18 PM, Alflives said:

Last I heard its rumored that Davies could be around $10 mill, not sure if they were doing that as CAD, USD, EUR or PND when they were talking about it.  Regardless he's going to be the most expensive player the Whitecaps will probably ever buy or sell in their existence.  These types of players very very rarely come along and for one to be with the Whitecaps is amazing.