#301 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

http://www.theprovin..._medium=twitter

Doan visited both the Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers when he was in New York for labour meetings. Reportedly, he has plans to visit Montreal.

So, where is Vancouver on his priority list?

He hasn’t visited Vancouver but that’s because he’s so familiar with the city,” Bross said. “He knows all about it, the team, the history, and what it’s like to live there. So does his wife.
“It hasn’t been a big priority to visit there.”

Edited by RunningWild, 26 July 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#302 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

If we don't sign Doan, what about Jason Arnott, perhaps for the 3rd line center?? He's big and experienced. The question is, what does he have left in the tank?

I'd rather have an improving Max Lapierre center the 3rd than waste $3M on a declining Arnott.

#303 tas

tas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'd rather have an improving Max Lapierre center the 3rd than waste $3M on a declining Arnott.

then i'm incredibly glad you're not an nhl general manager.

#304 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

and spending 3 million on arnott would be a good idea?

Posted Image

#305 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Doan visiting Montreal eh, maybe I can chase him down and ask him to sign with Van!

#306 Imuzi

Imuzi

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Doan visiting Montreal eh, maybe I can chase him down and ask him to sign with Van!

Get on it!

Posted Image

#307 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Get on it!

Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#308 tas

tas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

POPULAR

and spending 3 million on arnott would be a good idea?

for a year or two? sure. the guy's 6'5" 220lbs with a cup ring and had 17 goals last year. it's only been 2 or 3 years since he scored at a 60 point clip. he has almost 1000 career points. he's been a captain in the league. the canucks are terribly shallow at center ice. kesler won't be 100% until december. if mason raymond took a pay cut to get $2.2 and you're willing to give doan $5 for 5 years, then arnott is a hell of a deal at $3 for a year or two.

Edited by tas, 26 July 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#309 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

for a year or two? sure. the guy's 6'5" 220lbs with a cup ring and had 17 goals last year. he's been a captain in the league. the canucks are terribly shallow at center ice. kesler won't be 100% until december.

keslers spot should he not start the season, will most likely be Schroeder's and then we will have manny and lappy as natural centers. Manny isnt going anywhere, and him playing 4th line wing makes a lot less sense than 3rd C. With that said I would be all for getting a different 3rd line C, but Id rather it be someone young and cheap yet still effective. Im not saying we should or will get matthias, but he could be a good option with 1 year remaining on his ELC

Posted Image

#310 tas

tas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

honestly i'd like 6-8 of the canucks forwards to be natural centers. look at team canada 2010, the 2011 boston bruins, 2012 kings, etc.

Edited by tas, 26 July 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#311 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Doan's price will be more than $6 million per year on a 4 or more year term. He will get grossly overpaid as most UFA's do. Paying this high a price for a 35+ player on a multi year deal is not a good idea.

I do not think Canucks will be announcing the signing of Shane Doan any time soon. MG will not and should not offer the type of money and term other teams will be willing to offer.

#312 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

A lot of things appear to be hinged on what happens with Doan.

Where he signs will affect what the Canucks try to get in the assumed Luongo deal, and it will affect what kind of cap space the Canucks have to sign any any other free agents (such as Arnott). Hopefully he signs soon so Gillis can get on with the rest of the off-season wheelings and dealings.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#313 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Doan's price will be more than $6 million per year on a 4 or more year term. He will get grossly overpaid as most UFA's do. Paying this high a price for a 35+ player on a multi year deal is not a good idea.

I do not think Canucks will be announcing the signing of Shane Doan any time soon. MG will not and should not offer the type of money and term other teams will be willing to offer.

Is 6 million worth it or better to pay someone 4 million via a upgrade trade and have to give up some of your players to do it? I like 6 million lose no current players.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#314 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#315 tequila

tequila

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

keslers spot should he not start the season, will most likely be Schroeder's and then we will have manny and lappy as natural centers. Manny isnt going anywhere, and him playing 4th line wing makes a lot less sense than 3rd C. With that said I would be all for getting a different 3rd line C, but Id rather it be someone young and cheap yet still effective. Im not saying we should or will get matthias, but he could be a good option with 1 year remaining on his ELC

And you are happy with this?
Schroeder as our second line C with 0 (zero) NHL games played? Behind him M & L who are 4th liners at best?
Again. Are you happy with this? This has to be the worst C depth in the league.
At minimum this team needs another top 6 play-maker and hopefully MG is aware of that. Last year, even with Kesler we had problems scoring. Unless we upgrade our top 6 Fowards we'll struggle to reach playoffs.

What I'm reading here Doan $6 million/ 4 years? $5 million/ 5 years?
He is 35 not 25! Everything more than $4 million/ 2 years is over-overpayment!
I would like to have him on this team but after a playmaker!

Posted Image
tequila

#316 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Not sure if posted yet, article:
"Phoenix Coyotes sale to Greg Jamison may be on thin ice"

Edited by RunningWild, 27 July 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#317 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

honestly i'd like 6-8 of the canucks forwards to be natural centers. look at team canada 2010, the 2011 boston bruins, 2012 kings, etc.

Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. The main ingredients of a Cup winner is a solid #1 top pairing on defence, a world-class goalie and depth down the middle.

Since our 2011 Cup run, we basically lost 2 big centermen. Hodgson is gone and has not been replaced, and Malhotra is not the same as he used to be, so essentially our center ice position is a lot weaker. Now factor in an ageing Henrik who has most likely hit his prime that season, and Kesler who is constantly injured and you have a terrible center position.

What was once our strongest asset is now dwindling and MG has done nothing to fix it. Firstly, we need to find an offensive centerman for our 3rd line to keep up with Raymond and Hansen who can both score 15-20 goals next season. That gives us 5 NHL centermen playing in our lineup which is much stronger depth.

If MG isn't going to pick us up a nice 3rd line center who can score 30-40 points then guys like Raymond and Higgins better start practicing how to be centermen. They've both played the position in the past so better get used to it again, because you win Cups with depth at center ice, not wing which is what we're stacked with right now.

At the end of the day, the Canucks need a guy like Jochen Hecht, Arnott or Morrison more than a guy like Doan. We have plenty of powerforward wingers for our top-6 (Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Hansen) and just not enough centermen, especially with Kesler most likely chugging at a slower pace than usual.
Posted Image

#318 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

for a year or two? sure. the guy's 6'5" 220lbs with a cup ring and had 17 goals last year. it's only been 2 or 3 years since he scored at a 60 point clip. he has almost 1000 career points. he's been a captain in the league. the canucks are terribly shallow at center ice. kesler won't be 100% until december. if mason raymond took a pay cut to get $2.2 and you're willing to give doan $5 for 5 years, then arnott is a hell of a deal at $3 for a year or two.

I really hope MG is considering trying to sign Arnott to a 1 year deal. He'd be an offensive upgrade from what we had in Pahlsson, he's a big body who will add toughness, and he could take 2nd line center duties temporarily if Kesler isn't back in time for the start of the season.

#319 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

At the end of the day, the Canucks need a guy like Jochen Hecht, Arnott or Morrison more than a guy like Doan. We have plenty of powerforward wingers for our top-6 (Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Hansen) and just not enough centermen, especially with Kesler most likely chugging at a slower pace than usual.

I really don't think you understand what a power forward is.

#320 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. The main ingredients of a Cup winner is a solid #1 top pairing on defence, a world-class goalie and depth down the middle.

Since our 2011 Cup run, we basically lost 2 big centermen. Hodgson is gone and has not been replaced, and Malhotra is not the same as he used to be, so essentially our center ice position is a lot weaker. Now factor in an ageing Henrik who has most likely hit his prime that season, and Kesler who is constantly injured and you have a terrible center position.

What was once our strongest asset is now dwindling and MG has done nothing to fix it. Firstly, we need to find an offensive centerman for our 3rd line to keep up with Raymond and Hansen who can both score 15-20 goals next season. That gives us 5 NHL centermen playing in our lineup which is much stronger depth.

If MG isn't going to pick us up a nice 3rd line center who can score 30-40 points then guys like Raymond and Higgins better start practicing how to be centermen. They've both played the position in the past so better get used to it again, because you win Cups with depth at center ice, not wing which is what we're stacked with right now.

please learn more hockey
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#321 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Isn't it sad that if Gary didn't have his knickers in a knot about Balsillie the Yote's would probably be in Hamilton right now. Making the league millions, and saving the owners grief and money.

Shouldn't the owners at least be extremely choked how he's handled this, and how he'd rather let questionable ownership than someone that actually has money?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#322 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Exactly as you are a nobody hiding behind the internet.
Posted Image

#323 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Um, Cody Hodgson was an absolute non-factor in our cup run and Manny Malhotra was injured during that cup run and played in 6 games in the Stanley Cup finals and he did nothing, we got that close to winning the cup with the current centre depth that we have so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins

#324 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Manny of Lappy should not be playing on the third line. We need someone else no matter be Mattias, Arnott, or someone else.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#325 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

And you are happy with this?
Schroeder as our second line C with 0 (zero) NHL games played? Behind him M & L who are 4th liners at best?
Again. Are you happy with this? This has to be the worst C depth in the league.
At minimum this team needs another top 6 play-maker and hopefully MG is aware of that. Last year, even with Kesler we had problems scoring. Unless we upgrade our top 6 Fowards we'll struggle to reach playoffs.

You probably won't like the rumour from the Hockey Hearsay article on Sportsnet. Detroit is out of the race for Doan. They believe some team(s) in East has made a 4 year 30 million dollar offer....I like Shane Doan but a 7.5 million cap hit? That's a spicy meatball!

http://www.sportsnet...hockey_hearsay/

#326 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

We need a better top 6 winger and a center, if we don't get both we're done.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#327 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

I can't believe you actually believe what you are saying!!!!MATS SUNDIN 10 mill a season and Doan is as good as he was if not better cause he's a power forward which we need to help Booth and Kassian know how to play better!!!Doan I'd give 6 to 7 mill for 4 years and get some of our players better, hes a natural leader and would fit well in this team.We would be a better team for the four years then time to rebuild!!!Once Doan signs here which I hope and Luo is traded not for prospects but for more help now we would be instant cup contender which we are now but would be way better and what other teams have done would not be good enough to beat us in what we have done!!!
Posted Image

#328 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,113 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

You probably won't like the rumour from the Hockey Hearsay article on Sportsnet.  Detroit is out of the race for Doan.  They believe some team(s) in East has made a 4 year 30 million dollar offer....I like Shane Doan but a 7.5 million cap hit?   That's a spicy meatball!

http://www.sportsnet...hockey_hearsay/

That rumour has been out there for a while now. I doubt that Gillis would throw that kind of money at Shane Doan, so we'll all have to hope that the rumour is false, or that Doan has other priorities that take precedent over money.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#329 hyroglyphixs

hyroglyphixs

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Are you high? He is paid that much because he is worth that much. Captain in Phoenix, big body, goes to dirty areas, good leader, and is willing stand up for teammates. Yes, 7.5m for 4 years would be an overpayment but I would be running if we got him for 6m for 3 years.

He adds so much to the team and our window is right now. He is exactly what we need.

Posted Image

"If you do enough things, you're going to eventually narrow it down to the things that really make you happy." ~LIGHTS

GO CANUCKS GO!!

#330 Little_Big_Guy

Little_Big_Guy

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Im never one to reply or post in fact this may be my second post of all time Im not entirely sure but you can all take this with a grain of salt. Today is the Kamloops Blazers Alumni Golf Tournament and ofcourse Shane Doan is attending. This is obviously not ground breaking news. The interesting tidbit is that Mike Gillis is partaking in the tournament and supposedly as a guest of Shane Doans. Again read into it what you like. It may mean nothing at all or could be something to look forward to. Just a little something to add to the discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.