Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Dirtiest Player Ever

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Dirtiest Player (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the dirtiest player ever

1. Mark Messier (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Claude Lemieux (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Chris Simon (4 votes [36.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

4. Eddie Shore (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

5. Sprague Cleghorn (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

6. Billy Smith (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Matt Cooke (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

8. Ulf Samuelsson (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

9. Ken Linseman (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

10. Darius Kasparitis (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Ron Hextall (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Chris Chelios (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Dale Hunter (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Brad Marchand (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

15. Steve Downie (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sean Avery HAS to be on the list.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#32 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Funny how Matt Cooke is now over looked, but he was a dirty player.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#33 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Chris Simon. The guy was completely loony.

Kicked out of the NHL . Lol That's the dirtiest player forsure

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#34 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

He was more the Derpiest player then the dirtiest

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#35 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Brad ratface Marchand or Matt Cooke

I lol'd

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#36 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Brad Marchand will be up there with all of these guys by the end of his career.

He has only played two full seasons and he already has a bigger history than most of the guys in the league.

Messier was dirty too, more so than he is credited for, it just goes by the way side since he was such a good player.

zackass.png

#37 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Not Playing - Claude Lemieux

Playing - Raffi Torres. Matt Cooke is up there, but he's seemed to be better (at last he was last season). Torres is dangerous and has no remorse for his actions.

I don't think Torres is really all that dirty either.

He may have dirty hits, but I don't think he tries to hurt people like Cooke, Marchand and other's do, he's just overpowering. He hurts alot of people because he is so big and has such good skating ability for his size, so his hits are often more devastating then he intended them to be. He does have trouble knowing when not to hit someone, but as I said he isn't dirty in the sense that he goes out and looks to hurt people and be dirty.

zackass.png

#38 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't think he was all that dirty, he was just a coward.

He doesn't have nearly the track record of some of these other's guys being brought up.

zackass.png

#39 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Chris Simon
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#40 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Marchment in my opinion. What a disgrace of a human being. He didn't have an ounce of honor and was on the ice with only one thing on his mind... To see how seriously he can injure someone.

#41 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Billy or Ulf.

Dishonorable mention: Messier and ratface.
Posted Image

#42 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

simon for sure
Posted Image

#43 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Chris Simon has to take the crown for dirtiest player ever the 2 incidents plus his other suspensions its surprising he didn't injure more players the way he lost it

from wiki his other incidents

On November 8, 1997, during a game against the Edmonton Oilers, Simon was suspended three games after calling Edmonton forward Mike Grier (racial slur) [3]
Simon flew to Toronto to apologize to Grier.[4] Grier and Simon were later teammates for a brief time in 2002 with the Washington Capitals.

Simon was suspended for one game in a 2000 playoff series against Pittsburgh for cross checking Peter Popovic across the throat on April 13, 2000.

He was given two-game suspensions once on April 5, 2001 for elbowing Anders Eriksson,
and twice in 2004 for cross checking Tampa Bay's Ruslan Fedotenko and then jumping on and punching him, and for kneeing Dallas's Sergei Zubov.[2]

guy had more than a couple screws loose in the head

Edited by captaincanuck88, 22 November 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#44 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Chris Simon. The guy was completely loony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esETGHljQi4

Orr, Simon, Hollweg, Asham, Rachunek, Mara....how was that NOT a full on donnybrook?

I guess Hollweg was lying on his stomach, probably unsure of his whereabouts, but still.

/=S=/

#45 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

"Marchment has been suspended for deliberate attempts to injure other players numerous times throughout his playing career. He was suspended 13 times by the league in his first 12 NHL seasons and his hits were blamed for injuries suffered by Mike Modano, Joe Nieuwendyk, Greg Adams, Mike Gartner, Kevin Dineen, Peter Zezel, Pavel Bure, Sami Salo, Paul Kariya, Wendel Clark and Martin Ručínský. On February 3, 1995, while the Toronto Maple Leafs were visiting Marchment's Oilers, a hit by Marchment partially collapsed one of Gartner's lungs; the severely injured Gartner had to return to Toronto by train.

Marchment always stuck in my mind as someone who was out to injure the other team's best players. Just look at the list of names mentioned above. His hits were always like a high-speed stealth attack. His victims rarely even knew he was coming.

Simon was certainly dirty, but his deeds seemed to be more of a retaliatory nature. He gets checked hard, so he swings back etc.

Carcillo has potential. I think it's just a matter of time before he ends someone's career.

#46 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

"Marchment has been suspended for deliberate attempts to injure other players numerous times throughout his playing career. He was suspended 13 times by the league in his first 12 NHL seasons and his hits were blamed for injuries suffered by Mike Modano, Joe Nieuwendyk, Greg Adams, Mike Gartner, Kevin Dineen, Peter Zezel, Pavel Bure, Sami Salo, Paul Kariya, Wendel Clark and Martin Ručínský. On February 3, 1995, while the Toronto Maple Leafs were visiting Marchment's Oilers, a hit by Marchment partially collapsed one of Gartner's lungs; the severely injured Gartner had to return to Toronto by train.

Marchment always stuck in my mind as someone who was out to injure the other team's best players. Just look at the list of names mentioned above. His hits were always like a high-speed stealth attack. His victims rarely even knew he was coming.

Simon was certainly dirty, but his deeds seemed to be more of a retaliatory nature. He gets checked hard, so he swings back etc.

Carcillo has potential. I think it's just a matter of time before he ends someone's career.

Yeah Marchment belongs in the discussion for sure - so does Ulf Samuelsson.

#47 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

and who could forget Bobby Clarke?

#48 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

while acceptable back then, im going to go with scott stevens. he destroyed a few careers including vancouver's own paul kariya

scott stevens would have a permanent chair in shanahans office
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#49 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

while acceptable back then, im going to go with scott stevens. he destroyed a few careers including vancouver's own paul kariya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiDJ1y7cGIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVeqzYgTELk

scott stevens would have a permanent chair in shanahans office

Scott Stevens wasn't dirty. Haha
Scott Stevens was just a tank of a man. He just devestated players that got in his way, Nothing dirty about it . :rolleyes:

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#50 brenbowa

brenbowa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

STEVE MOORE.

#51 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

STEVE MOORE.

It's funny that you bring up Moore since there are so many posts naming Marty McSorely, essentially for a single dirty play, yet no-one has mentioned Todd Bertuzzi....

Also, it's true that Mark Messier played a dirty game, however, it's also true that his game was similar to Gordie Howe's. I see the prevailing CDC Anti-Messier sentiment as a contributing factor to his being mentioned so often.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#52 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

It's funny that you bring up Moore since there are so many posts naming Marty McSorely, essentially for a single dirty play, yet no-one has mentioned Todd Bertuzzi....

Also, it's true that Mark Messier played a dirty game, however, it's also true that his game was similar to Gordie Howe's. I see the prevailing CDC Anti-Messier sentiment as a contributing factor to his being mentioned so often.

Actually Steve Moore was a Cooke type of player. Keep in mind he had run St. Louis (who was then the leagues leading scorer) from behind a few games previous to his headhunt on Nasland. He was trying to earn a permanent roster spot from tony "tomahawk" Granato and headhunting seemed his way to do it. He is not the dirtiest player on this list because his career was cut short but it looked like he was working at it.

Bert belongs on the list if McSorely does and both do not as I stated earlier it's not right to define their full careers on a single incident.

As for Messier? 1 week after the NHL was purged of goonery forever buy making an example of Bertuzzi, Messier speared a younger player in the groin to which it was stated by the NHL "That's a vet showing a rookie who he can and cannot hit in this league"

Edited by TimberWolf, 23 November 2012 - 09:26 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#53 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Scott Stevens wasn't dirty. Haha
Scott Stevens was just a tank of a man. He just devestated players that got in his way, Nothing dirty about it . :rolleyes:

Stevens deliberately targeted his opponents heads on many occasions. Their heads may have been lowered but that's no excuse. He'd be facing multiple suspensions if he was playing in today's game.

#54 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Chris Simon, Sean Avery, and Matt Cooke are my choices.
Posted Image

#55 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Stevens deliberately targeted his opponents heads on many occasions. Their heads may have been lowered but that's no excuse. He'd be facing multiple suspensions if he was playing in today's game.

Haha yeah I agree I was just being sarcastic thats why I put this face ' :rolleyes: ' . He's a career killer, and a great defenceman.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#56 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#57 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Actually Steve Moore was a Cooke type of player. Keep in mind he had run St. Louis (who was then the leagues leading scorer) from behind a few games previous to his headhunt on Nasland. He was trying to earn a permanent roster spot from tony "tomahawk" Granato and headhunting seemed his way to do it. He is not the dirtiest player on this list because his career was cut short but it looked like he was working at it.

Bert belongs on the list if McSorely does and both do not as I stated earlier it's not right to define their full careers on a single incident.

As for Messier? 1 week after the NHL was purged of goonery forever buy making an example of Bertuzzi, Messier speared a younger player in the groin to which it was stated by the NHL "That's a vet showing a rookie who he can and cannot hit in this league"

Some of the worst spears I have ever seen came from that guy.
Posted Image

#58 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Sprague Cleghorn:

Sprague was never popular in Ottawa, even when he played there. In one game against Montreal Cleghorn viciously attacked Newsy Lalonde with his stick, reportedly drawing the ire of police although no charges were ever drawn.

Whenever he played against former Ottawa teammates, Cleghonr often instigated brawls and cheap shots as if he seemed to have a personal vendetta against certain players. In fact, in one playoff game, after Cleghorn viciously cross checked Lionel Hitchmen, his own team fined and suspended him for the rest of the playoffs. The decision was even handed down before the NHL had time to rule on it.

Tired of Cleghorn's ruthlessness and undisciplined play, the Senators decided on releasing the most feared man in hockey in 1921. The league assigned him to the Hamilton Tigers but the Montreal Canadiens desperately wanted the local native as a drawing card for home games. They executed one of the first trades in league history, as Montreal sent Harry Mummery, Cully Wilson and Amos Arbour for Cleghorn and defenseman Bill Couture.

Cleghorn was very upset with Ottawa for letting him go, and was determined to get revenge the only way he knew how. In one of the first clashes between Cleghorn's new team versus his old, reports claimed prior to the game that Sprague would settle the score once and for all with Ottawa for dropping him after he helped them win the 1920 Stanley Cup. He would go on to viciously injure 4 Senator players - Cy Denneny, Frank Nighbor, Tommy Gorman and Eddie Gerard. Cleghorn's disgraceful conduct in resulted police action and even league movement to ban him from the NHL for life. Reportedly two teams would not agree to the ban.

Despite such actions, Cleghorn continually produced results, including helping the Habs win their first Stanley Cup as a member of the National Hockey League.

After a stint with the Boston Bruins, Cleghorn, once described by an NHL official as "a disgrace," retired in 1928. His numbers were unarguably great - 84 goals and 123 points in 256 games as a defenseman. His PIMs total was 489.

Posted Image

#59 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Bobby Clarke probably.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#60 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

If you want to go far back enough, I would probably say Eddie Shore. Claude Lemieux comes pretty close too.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.