The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I think you've worded your expectations even a little stronger than I would myself, but I was prepared for some of those players at least to be worse than they have been. There's still room for them to be more productive (certainly in consistency and when it counts) but I can't really complain at this point and hope it is enough to have this team be as competitive as they can when the playoffs roll around.

If you go by what Gillis has said in his interview today he seems to favor a off season deal is what he expects .

Everyone knows the cap goes down and the canucks have little to no flexibility as it stands and he claims buying out Lou is not something there talking about then it appears he is backing himself into a corner .

Gillis has to trade one or else other teams are just going to call his bluff this summer and force the Canucks to buy him out so they can sign him to a shorter deal while the canucks walk away with nothing and the owners stuck with a bill for the buy out and Mike Gillis with out a job

If you go by what Gillis has said in his interview today he seems to favor a off season deal is what he expects .

Everyone knows the cap goes down and the canucks have little to no flexibility as it stands and he claims buying out Lou is not something there talking about then it appears he is backing himself into a corner .

Gillis has to trade one or else other teams are just going to call his bluff this summer and force the Canucks to buy him out so they can sign him to a shorter deal while the canucks walk away with nothing and the owners stuck with a bill for the buy out and Mike Gillis with out a job

The one thing I heard Gillis say that I think indicated what a deal must include if it is to happen this season was the part where he referred to being

"strong down the middle - may have a weakness there in a couple spots..."

Judging by that I'd guess that a deal would have to include an affordable, viable 3C - a two way guy with shutdown abilities, who has potential 2C tweener/upside if Kesler's health can't be assumed. Obviously Couturier is ideal if talking Philly (inb4 Smashian's 147th insistence that he knows who is and is not "available"), a guy like Goc imo as one part of a Florida deal (good affordable depth piece but lots of value remaining for futures in a deal) Toronto's roster players are a tough sell and they have no extra depth at C, Washington is even more difficult to find a good fit imo... I think Florida can actually afford a deal, while Philly has a roadblock, so what Gillis wants and who can provide it will require patience.

Why is the context different? Hodgson kept behind closed doors any desires he spoke of with Gillis. At least that side of it was professional. It gave the team the flexibility to do what they felt was best of the situation.

Lou has gone public. In a charming sort of way; but its still public.

It's hard to argue that has not handcuffed us here?

From my standpoint, a guy who accepts a $60 mill deal and then throws his weight around influencing things is not cool.

FTR; I don't have to speak for Luongo, never tried to. But he's on record and I expressed a view on it. My view is a guy who wants out because he does not start is pouting. You are welcome to disagree but calling posters "full of crap" or pathetic is not cool either.

Gillis can go over the cap by as much as 10% during the offseason and if there are still no takers, Gillis could run with a major youth movement if he got cap squeezed.

D. SEDIN  $6,100,000.00   H. SEDIN  $6,100,000.00   Z. KASSIAN  $870,000.00

N. JENSEN  $895,000.00   R. KESLER  $5,000,000.00   A. BURROWS  $4,500,000.00

D. BOOTH  $4,250,000.00   J. SCHROEDER  $900,000.00   J. HANSEN  $1,350,000.00

A. VOLPATTI  $700,000.00   M. LAPIERRE  $1,000,000.00   D. WEISE  $700,000.00

#13 FWD  $550,000.00  

LW TOTAL:  $11,945,000.00   C TOTAL:  $13,550,000.00   RW TOTAL:  $7,420,000.00

D. HAMHUIS  $4,500,000.00	  K. BIEKSA  $4,600,000.00

A. EDLER  $5,000,000.00	  J. GARRISON  $4,600,000.00

P. ANDERSSON  $660,000.00	  C. TANEV  $1,250,000.00

#7 D  $700,000.00	  #8 D  $700,000.00

LD TOTAL:  $10,860,000.00	  RD TOTAL:  $11,150,000.00

C. SCHNEIDER  $4,000,000.00  

R. LUONGO  $5,333,333.00  

G TOTAL:  $9,333,333.00  

TOTAL CAP HIT:  $64,258,333.00   SALARY CAP:  $64,300,000.00   CAP SPACE:  $41,667.00

Andersson has $210,000 in ELC bonuses on top of $660k, but there is the bonus cushion provision. Now, whether or not Luongo & Schneider could coexist for yet another year without causing lockeroom issues is a big question mark and something I can't see flying.

The selective hearing that goes on with some posters is amazing.

Gillis specifically stated that, although they had scenarios available, the time would come when the organization would absolutely have to move one of the goalies - for the sake of the goalies themselves, and the organization. He restated this later in the interview as well.

Gillis may not get the deal he is looking for this season, but there's no way that he keeps Luongo into 2013-14. Even if he has to let him go for less than he wants.

Or he is just simmering down the expectations.perhaps illicit a better offer?

I actually believe he is genuine in this instance though. We've been winning, in several cases due to goal tending when we have injuries.

But really I wanted to comment on the youth movement. The only guy on Miller Draft's list who might be preferred to stay, and is not, is Ballard in favour of Anderson? The rest of that actually makes very logical sense even if we trade Lou.

My agenda remains a combination of futures and some play off muscle. We'll see how it plays out?

Edit: Add to that deadline purchases usually don't see teams giving up their best play off ready asset's. Its hard to project teams not being more willing to give us what we want in summer; as DeNiro suggested while licking the wounds of play off disapointment an re-arming themselves for a better fortune... Similarly, there will also be other teams looking to offload cap; the veteran we're looking for in the equation could come directly or not...

He could, if squeezed, do exactly as you've suggested. I wonder how likely it would be, though. His mantra has been to ice the team that has the best chance to win, and while I believe having two star goaltenders does move toward that end, does sacrificing experienced skaters for youthful ones do more to offset the star goalie tandem than it does to compliment them? It would be an interesting move, but a move that would shift the speculation from goalie controversy to rebuild controversy.

Conventional wisdom says one of them will be traded, and now his comments about this summer being the time to make a move all but put any speculation to rest.

I'd like to know if the Canuck's have any scouts at the Washington vs Florida game. Lots of offence in that game so far or should I say bad goaltending?

How much longer can Steve Yzerman go on with Lindback? 3-0 so far to a team that killed by the Leafs a few days ago. This looks like it's going to be the Lightnings 5th loss in a row. Yikes!

Interesting scenario, but not too likely in my opinion. It means getting rid of Ballard, and letting Higgins, Raymond, Alberts and Malhotra walk when their contracts expire. While the latter two almost certainly will be out of the picture, I'm pretty sure that they'll keep at least two of Ballard, Higgins and Raymond. Depth matters, and has been a big part of our strength. Of course it's nice to have it in goal too, but we can get picks and prospects by moving Luongo or Schneider, compared to nothing by letting UFAs walk. With so many teams having to dump salary to make next year's cap, it isn't going to be business as usual at the trading deadline or draft this year. Hope we don't get burned by waiting too long.

Gillis can go over the cap by as much as 10% during the offseason and if there are still no takers, Gillis could run with a major youth movement if he got cap squeezed.

D. SEDIN  $6,100,000.00   H. SEDIN  $6,100,000.00   Z. KASSIAN  $870,000.00

N. JENSEN  $895,000.00   R. KESLER  $5,000,000.00   A. BURROWS  $4,500,000.00

D. BOOTH  $4,250,000.00   J. SCHROEDER  $900,000.00   J. HANSEN  $1,350,000.00

A. VOLPATTI  $700,000.00   M. LAPIERRE  $1,000,000.00   D. WEISE  $700,000.00

#13 FWD  $550,000.00  

LW TOTAL:  $11,945,000.00   C TOTAL:  $13,550,000.00   RW TOTAL:  $7,420,000.00

D. HAMHUIS  $4,500,000.00	  K. BIEKSA  $4,600,000.00

A. EDLER  $5,000,000.00	  J. GARRISON  $4,600,000.00

P. ANDERSSON  $660,000.00	  C. TANEV  $1,250,000.00

#7 D  $700,000.00	  #8 D  $700,000.00

LD TOTAL:  $10,860,000.00	  RD TOTAL:  $11,150,000.00

C. SCHNEIDER  $4,000,000.00  

R. LUONGO  $5,333,333.00  

G TOTAL:  $9,333,333.00  

TOTAL CAP HIT:  $64,258,333.00   SALARY CAP:  $64,300,000.00   CAP SPACE:  $41,667.00

Andersson has $210,000 in ELC bonuses on top of $660k, but there is the bonus cushion provision. Now, whether or not Luongo & Schneider could coexist for yet another year without causing lockeroom issues is a big question mark and something I can't see flying.

Archived