The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Derek Roy to VAN

With the Twins contract expiring in 2 years, I think the Canucks will go all in.

They sent down Ebbett and Barker which is not a big deal but it clears 2 roster space.

Gillman said we arnt done yet and are looking for a defenceman and a forward. Could that be Boyle and Clowe?! :bigblush:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Clowe - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Sestito - Lappiere - Weise

Hamhuis - Boyle

Edler - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

if they were going to move kes to the wing.. then maybe we should have kept hodgson with as many points as the twins rather than give up prospects and picks for a small expensive center with 4 goals. .. I'm about done with GMMG.

Good post on all counts! Yes, interesting about SJ but of course they won the Prez trophy a few years before us. A longer dry spell when heavily invested, and not as good a market. Very wierd the way they are playing Burns. I guess he's a bigger version of our Ballard; possibly the real reason they feel off track.

I think we can still reload and compete. Stuff happens, Crosby just got hurt for example. But certainly not without another deal even though Roy helps.

Lou for Mike Green... Cut our losses on Ballard.

Connauton didn't develop his defensive game the way the Canucks wanted him too and he has been surpassed by Corrado as their best d prospect.

Roy apparently wants to cash in come free agency so he could be a pure rental and it's a risk giving up a 2nd rounder in a deep draft if he doesn't re-sign.

It's interesting how two similar teams in the Sharks and Canucks are going about the trade deadline. The Canucks still think they are a move or two away from being legit contenders again this year so they are buyers.

Meanwhile the Sharks are in the same situation as the Canucks yet they are selling and trying to reload and get younger.

Canucks still could use a top 4 d who can qb the power play.

Also if they don't trade Luongo tomorrow the goalie market is going to be totally over saturated in the summer to get any value for him.

If the Canucks wanna be legit contenders they need to make at least 1 more big move. This Roy trade alone doesn't make them Stanley Cup contenders.

Speaking purely about Roy in the present (this season - since he's UFA and rumored to be looking for a big payday next season),

I like :

-PPG

-experienced centerman

-some playoff experience

-6pts in last 5gms (maybe he can spark this lack-lusture offence?)

Don't like:

-probably a rental - but heck, it's about time for a risk no?

-size - he's essentially a perimeter player and that doesn't go far in the playoffs

-traded twice in less than two years (does that mean he's sought after by other clubs or....?)

Like others before me, I wasn't a fan of this player before this trade but I go on record I'm ready and waiting to be proven wrong.

Past 4 team that have won the cup had 3 good centers

Sedin sedin Kassian

Raymond Roy Hansen

Higgins Kesler burrows

Booth lapierre Weise

Sedins will not be pushed around with Kassian around, we have seen burrows with Sedins in the playoffs and it wasn't working

Roy's speed line will create match up problems

Keslers shutdown line can defend by playing offense

Lapierres line can skate and hit

Great use organizational use of K Conn BTW, as noted by many already.

Behind Garrison, Ballard, Hamhuis and Edler it would have been a couple of years at least before he cracked our line up. And having been an AHL all star, with enough wheels and spunk I would not be surprised at all to see him in the show. I hope we do!

Good luck Kev!

I really like this deal.

Sucks we lose Connaution, but we have alot of LHD prospects, and there are some quickly passing Kconn on the depth chart anyways.

Roy fits what we need, a C and brings badly needed offense. Yeah he is small but its doesn't affect his play, he is still and effective player.

Good job Gillis.

I think Roy will re-sign here, it is always Gillis's way. With Roy in the line-up Kesler can be placed into the third line center until he is in good enough form to take over the 2nd. I still wouldn't mind Bozak, Franson and a second for Lu. This would allow Roy to be on the 2nd line. When healthy:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Roy-Kesler-Raymond

Higgens-Bozak-Hansen

Booth-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieska

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Ballard

Franson-Alberts

Schneider

blank

Pretty good deal.

A second is a second. A late second. The Canucks drafting has been garbage anyway. Always has been, probably always will be. During Gillis' tenure, he's had four of he and his scouting staffs' picks play for them. Are we really giving anything up here?

Connauton.. meh. Bottom pairing guy at best unless he pulls some serious untapped potential out of his ass.

Roy will fit nicely on the second line with Kesler as the roster currently is. We have the ability to put him on the third line as well if we want a more balanced, even approach.

Archived