The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian not what we think he is?

Merely

Kassian is exactly who I thought he was. An ok 3rd liner. I've made peace with that. No need to hate on him, he didn't make that trade for Hodgson.

If given the opportunity he could be a solid 2nd liner. At the same stage, we got an "OK 3rd liner" for a poor third liner, so we're still in the black on that trade.

Bertuzzi was playing on our 4th line at age 24.

Comparing Kassian to guys like Nash, Lucic, and Bertuzzi right now is dumb. These guys either got their shot right away on weak teams, or had to earn their way up like Bertuzzi. Kassian will have to do what Bertuzzi did to become a top player. that takes patience.

No wonder fans in this city are always so bitter. They have ridiculous expectations that are never met.

aboslutely right. This guy will be a very solid thrid lines for years. I can see and Horvat anchoring a solid third line for many years.

The reason Kassian was a no show in the first period is because it was dominated by special teams and Kassian is yet to get a sniff on our PP unit. He received a total of 3 shifts in the 1st period, a 45 sec one at the start, a 1:14 one in the middle, and a 33 second one at the 18 min mark.

You say you noticed him more in the second and third. Well thats because he received 5 total shifts in the second and 5 more in the 3rd. He just got more ice time. hence why you noticed him more. The kid needs to play more than 10 minutes a game, simple as that. How is a player supposed to be mentally involved if he plays less then 3 minutes in the 1st period. He's putting up the same even strength numbers that the twins were doing when they receive the same ice time.

Give the kid some PP time. Kassian last season averaged less than 13 minutes per game and got next to nothing on PP time. If were expecting more out of him we are going to have to give him more opportunity. As mentinoned he’s averaged the same even strength output as the twins in their first 4 years in the league. Add what could be added if we started giving him a fulltime role on the 2nd unit PP.

This wouldn’t be that big of a discussion “if” our second line was producing. It hasn’t and at times it’s looked awful. By not changing it up we can only expect the same results, it’s time to change it. If we move Kassian on to the second line and he isn’t producing we are no worse for wear, but if it does click, then we got a lot to gain.

Why move Kassian to the second line and not Richardson, because it doesn’t take a hockey genius to understand that Kassian is ahead of all our bottom 6 players when it comes to offensive potential. Richardson and Hansen work hard but it’s easy to see that don’t have the hockey IQ or the hands offensively to control the play. They are crashers and bangers that get rewarded by garbage goals and that works for them. But in the top 6 week need players who can slow down or speed up the play with their puck position. Something Kassian has the skillset to do.

I don't know how your statement of being dominated really makes any sense, the first period had 3 penalties, the 2nd period had 3 penalties and the 3rd period had 4 penalties, so Kassian played more when there was more penalties handed out. I think the reason he didn't get many shifts in the first period, because the shifts he had he had no hustle and Willie saw this. I saw this he had no jump in his legs in the first period hence he was a no show, and clearly Willie saw the same thing. I remember his first shift early in the 2nd period he was out there skating his butt off. I saw it and I'm sure Willie saw it, he didn't do that in the first period on his shifts. Why play a guy more if he isn't hustling on the shifts he's being given? Probably why he was limited so much in the 1st period. Willie rewarded him in the 2nd and 3rd, because he started playing his game in the 2nd period.

This is the problem with Kassian, he just isn't consitent game in and game out and other coaches see it first hand. Until he's consitent he won't be rewarded, he needs to work and continue working from the start of the game to the end. Like I said he played well in the 2nd and 3rd period, but he needs to play like that the whole game, no matter how many shifts he gets, play hard on every shift.

As far as the PP goes, the 1st unit isn't even right imo, I don't think Vey should be on the 1st unit, he's just not experienced enough to be put in that type of role yet. I would replace Vey with Burrows, for one Burrows has some chemistry playing with the Sedins so he knows them, plus he can go to the net and cause some ruckus, and hopefully help him a bit offensively. Bieksa should be on the 2nd unit, they need a big shot from the point and the only real guy they have is Edler, as frustrating as Edler is sometimes he should be on the 1st unit. 2nd unit Bonino for sure, but other than that I'd say either Higgins, Kassian, or Vey. Kass would be a good option to put in front of the net, to cause ruckus and hopefully bang in a couple goals in front. I believe the 2nd unit needs 2 D on the point to be safe, so either Bieksa, Hamhuis or Tanev.

If given the opportunity he could be a solid 2nd liner. At the same stage, we got an "OK 3rd liner" for a poor third liner, so we're still in the black on that trade.

He HAS been given lots of opportunities and hasn't taken them. Played his way onto the bottom 6 by not being able to play defense and not being nearly as physical as advertised.

Also, we'll never be in the black on that trade because Hodgson could have helped the team win when we were still good. Instead we got Kassian who wasn't NHL ready, onto a team that was going for the cup. As soon as that trade happened I said by the time Kassian is good, the team won't be.

If Hodgson is a poor 3rd liner then Kassian shouldn't even be in the league. Compare their point totals.

Actually, I was a supporter the whole time so you can quit assuming I wasn't because that's all that is. He had shown a helluva lot more than Zack has. I mean, Zack averages 12:30 a game, he averages one shot per game, one hit per game, has 2 blocks. What the hell is he doing out there? Sign me up to skate around out there, I'll do it for free at least. I will be very surprised if he breaks double digits in goals this year.

Is that so? Cause right now Hodgson has 1a in 7 games playing 16 min and is a -6 with averaging barely a shot a game playing on the 2nd line. Hodgson has shown that he is an over rated prima dona who not only reached his ceiling, but is already on the way down.

And, if we simply go by Kassians current 'slow' start, he is on pace for 32 goals and 112 hits (which would be good for 5th on the team last year) Looks pretty good for someone only playing 12 mins a game....not 12:30 btw)

Is that so? Cause right now Hodgson has 1a in 7 games playing 16 min and is a -6 with averaging barely a shot a game playing on the 2nd line. Hodgson has shown that he is an over rated prima dona who not only reached his ceiling, but is already on the way down.

And, if we simply go by Kassians current 'slow' start, he is on pace for 32 goals and 112 hits (which would be good for 5th on the team last year) Looks pretty good for someone only playing 12 mins a game....not 12:30 btw)

owned

Well to be fair he was probably thinking of both of their careers to date, not just the start of this season. This being said, Hodgson had best get started on making the players around him better (I believe that is one of the claims made about him) or Kassian could well surpass him in points.

On another note, has anyone considered that Kassian may have been the very best that Gillis could get for Hodgson and he traded the kid while he was at his highest value? Considering how Hodgson has performed in Buffalo, there are a number of folks there who are suggesting that the Sabres lost that deal.

regards,

G.

Way to respond a year after the fact :lol:

The biggest thing I notice about Kassian is that his confidence is shaken easily when he gets caught playing overly physical or aggressive. When he was hot towards the end of last year, he found a groove where he was throwing big hits that were clean, and he wasn't trash talking and doing immature things to get himself in trouble.

It makes me wonder if he's naturally a player like Lucic, and he's trying to over discipline himself to the point where he's become timid and invisible or if he's more like Jamie Benn, a playmaking guy who's trying to play more physical because people think that's what he's best suited for.

Another problem is constantly juggling him through the lines when he's still inconsistent player. Just stick him on the fourth line and let him find and build his game and then start bringing him up.

Kassian is exactly who I thought he was. An ok 3rd liner. I've made peace with that. No need to hate on him, he didn't make that trade for Hodgson.

Not sure why you're whining about a trade that we won?

As far as the PP goes, the 1st unit isn't even right imo, I don't think Vey should be on the 1st unit, he's just not experienced enough to be put in that type of role yet. I would replace Vey with Burrows, for one Burrows has some chemistry playing with the Sedins so he knows them, plus he can go to the net and cause some ruckus, and hopefully help him a bit offensively. Bieksa should be on the 2nd unit, they need a big shot from the point and the only real guy they have is Edler, as frustrating as Edler is sometimes he should be on the 1st unit. 2nd unit Bonino for sure, but other than that I'd say either Higgins, Kassian, or Vey. Kass would be a good option to put in front of the net, to cause ruckus and hopefully bang in a couple goals in front. I believe the 2nd unit needs 2 D on the point to be safe, so either Bieksa, Hamhuis or Tanev.

Burrows is awful on the pp. Would prefer if he saw very little powerplay time at all, let alone be on the first unit. Even when he was scoring 30 goals he wasn't that good on the pp.

Kassian needs to anchor the 2nd pp unit. He will be able to use his strength and vision to get the puck to Bonino.

He HAS been given lots of opportunities and hasn't taken them. Played his way onto the bottom 6 by not being able to play defense and not being nearly as physical as advertised.

Also, we'll never be in the black on that trade because Hodgson could have helped the team win when we were still good. Instead we got Kassian who wasn't NHL ready, onto a team that was going for the cup. As soon as that trade happened I said by the time Kassian is good, the team won't be.

If Hodgson is a poor 3rd liner then Kassian shouldn't even be in the league. Compare their point totals.

1. He has NOT been given lots of opportunities. The only time he was put in the top 6 for more than 1 or 2 games in a row, he had 5 goals in 7 games then dumba$$ AV put him in the bottom 6 for no apparent reason.

2. Hodgson would NOT have helped us as much as you imagine. When he was on a 40 point pace with us in 2012 he was getting HEAVILY sheltered and put in offensive situations only. In the playoffs you simply can't shelter someone to that extent, especially not against the LA Kings, he would have been absolutely invisible in that series. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a healthy scratch for most of those games. A small, slow, soft forward that is absolutely awful defensively and bad on faceoffs would literally make 0 difference for us in the playoffs against both LA in 2012 and SJ in 2013.

Kassian has the lowest offensive zone start percentage on our entire team, out of all forwards and defensemen. Kind of surprising, for a guy so many people think is bad defensively. Either he's not as bad defensively as you guys think, or the coach doesn't know how to use him.

Kassian has the lowest offensive zone start percentage on our entire team, out of all forwards and defensemen. Kind of surprising, for a guy so many people think is bad defensively. Either he's not as bad defensively as you guys think, or the coach doesn't know how to use him.

How many defensive zone starts dose he have? There are nine "dots", two in the offensive zone who the coach gives to scoring lines most, two in the defensive end that goes to the better center at face offs most times, and finally the five "dots" in the middle of the ice. What did he get? Think before you talk.

How many defensive zone starts dose he have? There are nine "dots", two in the offensive zone who the coach gives to scoring lines most, two in the defensive end that goes to the better center at face offs most times, and finally the five "dots" in the middle of the ice. What did he get? Think before you talk.

If you're gonna give your top 2 lines most of the offensive zone starts, and the bottom 2 lines the defensive zone starts, that means you bottom 2 lines have to be strong defensively. If they aren't strong defensively, they will get pummeled.

1. He has NOT been given lots of opportunities. The only time he was put in the top 6 for more than 1 or 2 games in a row, he had 5 goals in 7 games then dumba$$ AV put him in the bottom 6 for no apparent reason.

2. Hodgson would NOT have helped us as much as you imagine. When he was on a 40 point pace with us in 2012 he was getting HEAVILY sheltered and put in offensive situations only. In the playoffs you simply can't shelter someone to that extent, especially not against the LA Kings, he would have been absolutely invisible in that series. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a healthy scratch for most of those games. A small, slow, soft forward that is absolutely awful defensively and bad on faceoffs would literally make 0 difference for us in the playoffs against both LA in 2012 and SJ in 2013.

1. He's played for 3 coaches now. I guess there must be a league wide conspiracy to keep Kassian off the top 6, results be damned. It can't possibly be that he's just not good enough to play there. AV was the best coach this team has ever had, not a dumba$$.

2. The only reason Hodgson wasn't playing 2nd line C was because he had a Selke quality guy ahead of him. Was like you said, on pace for 40 points... vs Kassian, who wasn't good enough to crack Buffalo's lineup at the time.

Thought Kassian had a good game last night. He set Richardson up on a sure goal but Richardson fluffed. IMHO WD is being patient with Kassian which is fine. He still makes questionable decisions in his own zone which I am sure they are working on.

Kassian has improved every season he's been here. A lot better, or at least noticeably, defensively this season and he's a lot more dangerous in the offensive zone.

Doing a very good job to show he can be a complete NHL player.

Archived