The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Bats and EE are great bang for buck I couldn't see the Jays parting with 80 home runs and 210 rbis for 24 million next year. Tulowitzki on the other hand if they can find a big budget team that needs a SS and has a bunch of mlb ready prospects in return I wouldn't dislike a trade.

Tulo has 30 HR power which premium production from a SS. I don't get why people think he, or anyone else under contract, should be traded. Yes the cupboard seems a little bare after loading up for this recent run but there is no need to sell off the vets while the team can easily still be in playoff contention come next season.

• Upvote 2

I just get worried with his injury history. Theres definitely risk on every player I get that but with Tulo he's had a bad injury history and he gets paid the most. Is Tulo at 20 million dollars a better option than Goins + 19.5 dollars in the rotation and pen?

Its like you could have Goins, Samardizja, O'Day + all the prospects you could get for Tulo all under the same budget. All I'm saying is if we are tight on the budget something like this could be a nice option.

They have named the 3 finalists at each position for the Gold Glove Awards...3 Jays make it....

Here is the complete list of finalists:

American League

Pitcher: Mark Buehrle (Blue Jays), Sonny Gray (A's), Dallas Keuchel (Astros)

Catcher: Jason Castro (Astros), Russell Martin (Blue Jays), Salvador Perez (Royals)

First base: Eric Hosmer (Royals), Mike Napoli (Rangers), Mark Teixeira (Yankees)

Second base: Jose Altuve (Astros), Brian Dozier (Twins), Ian Kinsler (Tigers)

Third base: Adrian Beltre (Rangers), Evan Longoria (Rays), Manny Machado (Orioles)

Shortstop: Xander Bogaerts (Red Sox), Alcides Escobar (Royals), Didi Gregorius (Yankees)

Left field: Yoenis Cespedes (formerly Tigers), Brett Gardner (Yankees), Alex Gordon (Royals)

Center field: Kevin Kiermaier (Rays), Kevin Pillar (Blue Jays), Mike Trout (Angels)

Right field: Kole Calhoun (Angels), J.D. Martinez (Tigers), Josh Reddick (A's)

National League

Pitcher: Jake Arrieta (Cubs), Gerrit Cole (Pirates), Zack Greinke (Dodgers)

Catcher: Yadier Molina (Cardinals), Buster Posey (Giants), Wilson Ramos (Nationals)

First base: Brandon Belt (Giants), Paul Goldschmidt (D-backs), Adrian Gonzalez (Dodgers)

Second base: Dee Gordon (Marlins), DJ LeMahieu (Rockies), Brandon Phillips (Reds)

Third base: Nolan Arenado (Rockies), Matt Duffy (Giants), Todd Frazier (Reds)

Shortstop: Brandon Crawford (Giants), Adeiny Hechavarria (Marlins), Andrelton Simmons (Braves)

Left field: Starling Marte (Pirates), Justin Upton (Padres), Christian Yelich (Marlins)

Center field: Billy Hamilton (Reds), Andrew McCutchen (Pirates), A.J. Pollock (D-backs)

Right field: Curtis Granderson (Mets), Bryce Harper (Nationals), Jason Heyward (Cardinals)

Doug Miller is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @DougMillerMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Anthopolous is off to a bigger opportunity...... the return of the Montreal Expos!!

I bet he signs with a very high profile team. If you really look at it, we are in pretty big trouble going forward. Nothing in the farm anymore with major question marks in pitching. 

I bet he signs with a very high profile team. If you really look at it, we are in pretty big trouble going forward. Nothing in the farm anymore with major question marks in pitching. 

I'm not sure whether to read this as a case of him being opportunist and looking to cash in on one playoff run where he went on a spending spree to add some great pieces, who, if they stick around, may make not only short-term sense - or whether to look at this as a case of a franchise that is in the end owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and no matter how you dress it up for the show, it's still a pig in lipstick.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure whether to read this as a case of him being opportunist and looking to cash in on one playoff run where he went on a spending spree to add some great pieces, who, if they stick around, may make not only short-term sense - or whether to look at this as a case of a franchise that is in the end owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and no matter how you dress it up for the show, it's still a pig in lipstick.

Well, they hired Shapiro after his splash trades. At the beginning of the season I'd wager AA was thinking he'd stick past this year, the new guy must have hinted at limits on his powers. 

The odd thing is that this stuff is all happening before Shapiro officially takes over.

Well, they hired Shapiro after his splash trades. At the beginning of the season I'd wager AA was thinking he'd stick past this year, the new guy must have hinted at limits on his powers. 

The odd thing is that this stuff is all happening before Shapiro officially takes over.

I'm not going to criticize AA for cutting those deals.  A franchise that misses for that many years is on virtual life support where their fanbase's 'spirit' is concerned.

They needed that, perhaps even if the cost is part of their future.  They  also arguably owed it to guys like JB and EE.

So I think chalking up AA's moves to attempts to save himself in the short run, or cash in on an alternative opportunity, would imo be reductive.  And really, they were a hit with a runner in scoring position away from pushing a steamroller to game 7.   Not a bad gamble in the end, and regardless, revitalized a soporific market.

But unfortunately, at the end of the day, they are MLSE.  If anyone can frack up a franchise, I'd hand it to them.

Edited by oldnews

this is Ed Rogers' doing, the Jays are his baby

Nov. 5, 2014

Ed Rogers, deputy chairman of Rogers Communications, phones White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf to ask for permission to hire Williams

“I asked, ‘For what position?’ ” Reinsdorf said Friday from Chicago. “Edward said, ‘For Paul Beeston’s job.’ ”

It could be pointed out here that Rogers’ knowledge of the baseball landscape was so deep, he did not know Beeston and Reinsdorf were best friends.

Reinsdorf said he told Rogers he would talk to Williams and call back.

“I called Paul and he was shocked,” Reinsdorf said. A few days later, they talked again. Beeston told Reinsdorf he had talked to the Rogers people.

So, Reinsdorf decided not to call back Ed Rogers.

Nov. 10, 2014

GMs meetings, Phoenix

Reinsdorf tells Williams that Rogers had phoned and they want to hire him and ...

“Kenny was not surprised — he’d already been contacted by an emissary,” said Reinsdorf. “I was annoyed by that for it was clearly tampering.”

Who was that deep-throated caller from Toronto?

Roger Rai, Ed Rogers’ pal from their University of Western Ontario days?

Reinsdorf was unsure who made the call to Williams. But it was tampering.

The White Sox had not given the Toronto Blue Jays or a phone company permission to interview Williams.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/23/the-inside-story-on-how-rogers-tried-to-replace-blue-jays-president-paul-beeston

I'm not going to criticize AA for cutting those deals.  A franchise that misses for that many years is on virtual life support where their fanbase's 'spirit' is concerned.

They needed that, perhaps even if the cost is part of their future.  They  also arguably owed it to guys like JB and EE.

So I think chalking up AA's moves to attempts to save himself in the short run, or cash in on an alternative opportunity, would imo be reductive.  And really, they were a hit with a runner in scoring position away from pushing a steamroller to game 7.   Not a bad gamble in the end, and regardless, revitalized a soporific market.

But unfortunately, at the end of the day, they are MLSE.  If anyone can frack up a franchise, I'd hand it to them.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I'm a bit confused about the MLSE angle. What does MLSE have to do with the Jays?

They would be dumb not to pick up the options on EE and Bautista, after this year however....

When it comes to the starting rotation and bullpen I get this nagging feeling that Rogers is going to cheap out again.  I hope I'm wrong since the difference between contending next year and not is some money.

Aren't the Jays owned by them along with the Leafs, Raptors, and TFC?

They do? I thought Rogers did...:unsure:

Also, nothing on the MLSE site about owning the Jays. Just Leafs, TFC, Raptors and Marlies...

I thnk you're right Rupe, but Rogers owns MLSE - so we're talking the same umbrella in the end.

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2015/01/26/mlse-blue-jays-deal-with-dollar-dive.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/bell-rogers-now-official-owners-of-mlse/article4493958/

Edited by oldnews