The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I've said this so many times before but whoever the Isles pick in the top 10 they for some reason become busts. 

I remember Bennett being labeled the best center of the draft? Loool

Bennett has regressed from 36 to 26 points. he's 21 yo as well. still lots of time. but if he regresses again next year. boy oh boy. 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

He was rated the #1 prospect by quite a few.  Yet another failed Flames development of a prospect?

It's obviously still too early to determine that since Bennett is only 21 years old. But he's so bad at playing center and he's the biggest liability out there for Calgary along with Brouwer. Takes dumb penalties, completely lost on most shifts (basically the Virtanen we saw in those 10 games last season). Uninspired, uninterested.

Not saying Calgary would do this and they'd be stupid to. But if we can somehow pry Bennett away from Calgary without giving up a crucial asset, he'd be welcomed on the third line and maybe TG can do the same stuff he did with Virtanen and reprogram him. But I doubt Calgary would give up on him when he's again still 21. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Took almost 1000 pages (lol) but Jake is finally arriving.  Meanwhile, Bennett in NHL and Dal Colle in AHL both pointless so far, and MDC yet to even play an NHL game.

Anyone know how Dal Calle's doing?

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Not saying Calgary would do this and they'd be stupid to. But if we can somehow pry Bennett away from Calgary without giving up a crucial asset, he'd be welcomed on the third line and maybe TG can do the same stuff he did with Virtanen and reprogram him. But I doubt Calgary would give up on him when he's again still 21. 

Give them Gudbransson for Bennett

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

What are some realistic expectations for Virtanen this season? 

IMO: 15g 10a 25-30ish points. If Virtanen plays with the Sedins all year and gets more PP time, I think 20 goals and 10 assists is quite possible. His speed and size will be very useful with the Sedins. 

Virts could have easily had a hattrick this game but Howard was stellar.

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So Jake had 8 SOG against Detroit.......Just curious......I wonder what percentage of all forwards ever get 8 SOG or more in one game? Just My curiosity? 

Ok, calm down a bit, guys. If you watched JV in Utica last year, he had similar games like this. His ability to break free and create room is amazing.  I think I've post about it before, but the thing JV needs to do after getting the chances is to slow the game down mentally. It's split second difference between a good chance and a goal. I kinda wish he'd play a bit more than the 3, or 4 games last year when he got when Goldobin was on his line, so he could compare the difference of approach between Goldobin and himself when they go into the shooting motion. You can still see that with Jake's 8 shots today, if he'd waited a fraction of a second longer on a couple of the shots he'd have a better shooting angle and would probably had a hat trick to show for it. That's something he has to work on during the season this year and he doesn't have the luxury of the AHL practice schedule to do so. When he gets that shooting motion mentality right, that's when we see the perennial 35 goal power forward project take shape.

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

It's obviously still too early to determine that since Bennett is only 21 years old. But he's so bad at playing center and he's the biggest liability out there for Calgary along with Brouwer. Takes dumb penalties, completely lost on most shifts (basically the Virtanen we saw in those 10 games last season). Uninspired, uninterested.

I would hope... that Calgary has learned to stop trading with JB, by now. They would be wise to latch on to any of their prospects that Jim shows an interest in.

8 hours ago, Tystick said:

That's elite balance right there.

The guy barely moves.

Balance, exactly! |He hardly moved backward yet the hitter was coming hard. If Virtanen went to the Thachuk school of nasty he would be a deadly force in the NHL. Not suggesting I want him to go that route but he could have a little more edge. Maybe after 25 - 40 games he can amp it a bit. 

• Upvote 1

I have a quite a few "in laws" and friends who are flames fans (unfortunately) and i got sick of hearing from them about how Jake is a bust...meanwhile in Calgary the 18 year old (yeah I know he is older than that) phenom Bennett is looking worse every year.  Ive watched him play quite a few times, he looks like a grinder and is guilty of lacking that IQ that everyone said Jake lacked.  Flames called up Jankowski today and many lames fans are hoping Jankowski replaces Bennett at center.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Balance, exactly! |He hardly moved backward yet the hitter was coming hard. If Virtanen went to the Thachuk school of nasty he would be a deadly force in the NHL. Not suggesting I want him to go that route but he could have a little more edge. Maybe after 25 - 40 games he can amp it a bit. 

virtanen-hit-2.gif