The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think that’s a bad place for Jake to be. Top 10 picks aren’t all first line/top pairing players... you hope they become that but honestly a #6 pick that turns into a second line winger that plays physical and is capable of potting 20 points isn’t bad imho. 

I mean, you hope for more, but at the same time, having him become a player in the Hansen-mold isn't the worst thing in the world. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Baer's shooting percentage puts him top-15 in the league over the past 3 seasons (min 120 games)

What really?!

Top 15 percentage would seem to relate to more actual goals.

I’ll try to find that info for myself, but would you pass a link in where to find it if you have it top of mind?

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think that’s a bad place for Jake to be. Top 10 picks aren’t all first line/top pairing players... you hope they become that but honestly a #6 pick that turns into a second line winger that plays physical and is capable of potting 20 points isn’t bad imho. 

20 points?   Do you put that as a ceiling on him?   Interesting.   He is well above that pace his last 40 NHL games - right?   

15 hours ago, nzan said:

What really?!

Top 15 percentage would seem to relate to more actual goals.

I’ll try to find that info for myself, but would you pass a link in where to find it if you have it top of mind?

I've answered your question in the Baertschi thread to keep the Virtanen thread about Virtanen.

Good to see he's getting more time with Horvat, as Green moved him to that line partway through last game.  His play on the boards is much-improved as he's become very good at protecting the puck and getting it to an open man, so maybe they need a playmaker on the other wing rather than Schaller.

Jake has actually shown good chemistry with a number of players now, including Horvat, Goldobin, and Gaudette.  As such, he's increasing his versatility into a guy that can move up and down the lineup, and even moreso should he establish himself on the PP and work his way onto the PK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Good to see he's getting more time with Horvat, as Green moved him to that line partway through last game.  His play on the boards is much-improved as he's become very good at protecting the puck and getting it to an open man, so maybe they need a playmaker on the other wing rather than Schaller.

Jake has actually shown good chemistry with a number of players now, including Horvat, Goldobin, and Gaudette.  As such, he's increasing his versatility into a guy that can move up and down the lineup, and even moreso should he establish himself on the PP and work his way onto the PK.

Did I miss something or is Boeser injured again?

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lol @ Roussel-Granlund-Eriksson being listed as the second line.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:
Jake has actually shown good chemistry with a number of players now, including Horvat, Goldobin, and Gaudette.

I'm looking forward to us getting some healthy bodies back. Dying to perhaps see a Virtanen, Horvat, Gaudette line at some point.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Is it just me or would anyone else want to see Leipsic and Roussel switch roles?  Roussel is fast and can keep up with EP and Goldy while also being their protector since they are the two smallest guys on the team.  Meanwhile, Leipsic has shown that he can be put in a shutdown role as well and last time he was put in a more offensive role he gave the puck away for odd man rushes.

6 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Is it just me or would anyone else want to see Leipsic and Roussel switch roles?  Roussel is fast and can keep up with EP and Goldy while also being their protector since they are the two smallest guys on the team.  Meanwhile, Leipsic has shown that he can be put in a shutdown role as well and last time he was put in a more offensive role he gave the puck away for odd man rushes.

I’d prefer to see virtanen with pettersson in this instance.

3 minutes ago, nzan said:

I’d prefer to see virtanen with pettersson in this instance.

I'd rather see Eriksson there.

As poor as he's been here he's the only one that is a proven 30 goal scorer. Maybe a high end playmaker like he had in Boston is what he needs. And maybe his goal last game was him getting the monkey off his back.

Worth a shot IMO.

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Jake has earned more playing time, plain and simple.  He could be a key player for us for years to come, but they have to continue building him up by giving him more time.

He's on the first line with Horvat, looks like that's exactly what they're doing.

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He's on the first line with Horvat, looks like that's exactly what they're doing.

I see it, and I think it's great, I just want it to be growing and growing, not just because of injuries.  He is 4th on the team in scoring, 4th in hits, and 20th in playing time.  I just hope Green doesn't cut back every time Jake makes a mistake.  

13 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I see it, and I think it's great, I just want it to be growing and growing, not just because of injuries.  He is 4th on the team in scoring, 4th in hits, and 20th in playing time.  I just hope Green doesn't cut back every time Jake makes a mistake.  

Maybe Green's giving Virtanen exactly what he needs, when he needs it, to be 4th in scoring, 4th in hits etc? 

Why are we second guessing what's working? 

• Cheers 1