The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

More important about where Jake will be in March. If he continues his progress upwards he will be a key part of the future. Love the way Green is not only increasing his TOI but putting him on the PP. His ability to protect the puck has improved dramatically. 

Agreed.  I haven't been much of a Jake fan in the past, but I am beginning to see improvements in his overall game that has me changing my mind.  Riding shotgun with Bo, playing on the pp, toi, scoring, takeaways and solid defensive plays indicate that he could become an impact player for this team at some point.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-11-19 at 2:09 AM, austy said:

Could jake handle the right point ie the boeser spot on the pp2? 

I've been hoping that happens for a while now.

In fact I even wanted Hansen there when he was a Canuck, I have no idea why the Canucks personnel are so averse to just putting the players with cannons at the top of the circle and teeing them up.

Hansen had one of the best one timers on the team and it was really disappointing we didn't use him there. 

Honestly speaking, I'm not a fan of Virtanen's game. It is extremely reliant on North-South hockey and when we actually retain puck possession and enter the cycle he ends up doing his own thing because he is inept at reading the play. 

What he does have going for him is that absolute laser beam of a shot. If he can lock that down I think he'd be akin to David Booth in his prime. I think loading him up on the right side is a great idea. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

They have him being a net presence on the 2nd unit, which is starting to annoy me. Has one of the harder shots of our forwards. Put him on the left boards and let him tee off some shots dammit.

Yeah I dont recall him having many 'dirty goals' from that spot. Would live to see him RIP a one timer or two. I wonder if the coaches worry about the defensive responsibilities of that spot? He certainly has the quickness though.

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

no, love Jake, but Brock is on a different level.  It's like asking can Jan Hlavac replace Markus Naslund on the top power play unit, he can't.  but jakes gone a long way.  

Thats why I wrote pp2. Brocks on pp1

The Pettersson, Goldobin, Virtanen line is such a treat to watch. These 3 player's skill sets compliment each other wonderfully.

I wonder why Green doesn't start games with Virtanen on that line. Why does Virtanen have to start games on the Granlund line?

and then there'd be a switch late in the game swapping Eriksson with Virtanen.

I don't get it...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Byrix said:

The Pettersson, Goldobin, Virtanen line is such a treat to watch. These 3 player's skill sets compliment each other wonderfully.

I wonder why Green doesn't start games with Virtanen on that line. Why does Virtanen have to start games on the Granlund line?

I don't get it...

Jake should be with Pettersson from day one.  Totally agree. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Byrix said:

I don't get it...

I gotta agree but it might be hard for him to hold that spot when Boeser comes back. BB and EP had some good chemistry going before BB's injury and  he will likely slot back into that line when he returns. I think Jake belongs on the wing of one of the top 2 lines and should not be starting on Granlunds wing. Scrubs like Eriksson, Motte and Schaller should be heading further down the lineup while Jake should be trending up. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake should be with Pettersson from day one.  Totally agree. 

Jake is driving the play more and more as he refines his puck possession skills. To an extent his success along those lines is leading him to pass more than he should. When up high in the circles he should take the shot more. Love this kid. His confidence is really growing. I hope he has a Greener bobble doll and bows down each night.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I gotta agree but it might be hard for him to hold that spot when Boeser comes back. BB and EP had some good chemistry going before BB's injury and  he will likely slot back into that line when he returns. I think Jake belongs on the wing of one of the top 2 lines and should not be starting on Granlunds wing. Scrubs like Eriksson, Motte and Schaller should be heading further down the lineup while Jake should be trending up. 

BB and EP had one awesome game. I don't think that spells chemistry.

I think Boeser has chemistry with Horvat and their skill sets compliments each other.

Boeser, Horvat, Baertschi is gonna be a great line, we saw that last year.

Now, with Pettersson, Goldobin, and Virtanen growing and maturing, Green would have 2 scoring top lines when the players come back healthy.

I would still like Jake to get some more NASTY in his game. If he can muscle himself into a net front scoring position regularly like Horvat does, then we can sit back and shotgun beers all season long.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I still feel if he played left wing his goal scoring would take off... and if he was used right on the power play. Kid has a bomb of a shot, why not use him in Boeser’s spot like he played in jr. I remember him being used there against Calgary one game and he ripped a shot top corner, but was never put there again.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias_Petterson said:

I still feel if he played left wing his goal scoring would take off... and if he was used right on the power play. Kid has a bomb of a shot, why not use him in Boeser’s spot like he played in jr. I remember him being used there against Calgary one game and he ripped a shot top corner, but was never put there again.

My guess is, that he will rifle low shots from wide and low percentage scoring areas, than end up going back into our end of the ice

Either he needs to make a pass quicker, hold onto it instead of shooting it anyways or move quickly towards the front for a better percentage shot

23 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I think he will end up on PP1 eventually. Net front presence with Horvat down low.