The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I would bet my life savings that if we passed on Virtanen and he ended up being successful on a team like Toronto you would whine for the next decade about how we passed on a hometown kid for "another soft Euro."

Bingo, was gonna say the same thing and I'm not even on here much to see it. i enjoy reading everyone's comments, but it gets to the point where such crybabies really have nothing to offer. I think in a way they might do it just to be contrarian, thinking that it brings them attention. Guess it's time to figure out the iggy feature...

I Really like this pick and confident he will contribute in a big way for us down the road, people are concerned about Virtanen because of his shoulder and "hockey IQ" he's only 17 years old and is a 40+ goal scorer in his first year in the Dub, and will continue to become stronger and improve his overall game with experience moving forward

And what's that where your comment came from ... Oh it's a tiny little brain. What's your basis of your thought.

Virtanen is first round pick, but he is not a #6 overall pick, plain and simple. Not one commentator worth is mettle had him rated that high (not talking about BS mock drafts). The simple truth is that we left far more talented players on the board, and for that reason the Canucks messed it up.

There's a big difference between saying there were more talented players possibly available and saying he's an outright bust. You may want to check your attitude at the door the way you started off commenting.

And the first list I checked, McKenzie's, had him at 7th. ISS had him at 7th as well, along with McKeen's, and Central Scouting had him at 6th for North American skaters - arguably still ahead of any European prospects. I didn't think he was worth a 6th overall pick, but you don't see me calling him a bust because he went a few spots earlier than I would have picked him.

At around the 1:40 mark of this video, after he scores does he give the opposing team's bench high fives?

If so, that is hilarious but I'm surprised it fit in with the type of character Linden, Benning, & co were looking for.

haha yeah i saw that too when looking at his highlights yesterday, had to rewind it a couple of times

• Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

At around the 1:40 mark of this video, after he scores does he give the opposing team's bench high fives?

If so, that is hilarious but I'm surprised it fit in with the type of character Linden, Benning, & co were looking for.

I think so.

But I don't see it as problematic. He's 17 and plays on the edge and will mature.

Maybe he's such a great and likeable guy he's friends with everyone ;)

Haven't got the impression that he's cocky or an agitator -- seems to let his physicality do the talking on the ice.

• Upvote 1

And what's that where your comment came from ... Oh it's a tiny little brain. What's your basis of your thought.

Virtanen is first round pick, but he is not a #6 overall pick, plain and simple. Not one commentator worth is mettle had him rated that high (not talking about BS mock drafts). The simple truth is that we left far more talented players on the board, and for that reason the Canucks messed it up.

TSN had ranked him No.7 going into the draft.

• Upvote 1

What is CDC's thing with assuming the character of prospects from one isolated incident?

His only flaw is his hockey IQ. If he didn't have that problem he would probably be the number 1 pick if not in serious contention for it. I get a sense from Benning that he doesn't see that as that big of a problem that can't be addressed. The kid is still 17. He's a student of the game. He can still study the game and work on positioning etc for years. Come by the time he's 20-22, if he has upped his in game smarts, which is totally possible, you can very well see Virtanen turn into the best player in the draft. I'm a believer. When people say a 17 year old kid can't up his smarts, they're being ridiculous.

There's a big difference between saying there were more talented players possibly available and saying he's an outright bust. You may want to check your attitude at the door the way you started off commenting.

And the first list I checked, McKenzie's, had him at 7th. ISS had him at 7th as well, along with McKeen's, and Central Scouting had him at 6th for North American skaters - arguably still ahead of any European prospects. I didn't think he was worth a 6th overall pick, but you don't see me calling him a bust because he went a few spots earlier than I would have picked him.

Exactly.

A guy like Filatov was "more talented" than guys like Boedker, Bailey, and Hodgson. How did that turn out for Columbus?

It's about picking the best package of attributes in a player. If the Canucks only ever picked the most talented players, they would be a team full of soft wimps. If they only ever picked the biggest players, they'd be slow and talentless. It's about finding a middle ground.

Virtanen has the elements of speed, size, grit, and talent that our scouts obviously found attractive. Weaknesses like hockey IQ and playmaking can always be taught as he develops. The fundamentals are there though. The next step is development.

• Upvote 2

What is CDC's thing with assuming the character of prospects from one isolated

People use the information they have at their disposal. Most people on here have not seen him play, or have spent enough time engaging him on a personal level to make a fully accurate judgment. You cannot deny that giving the other team's bench high fives after he scores is cocky. I'm not knocking him for it, I did the exact same celebration when I was his age (and yes, it was a cocky move). I'm just saying a cocky incident like that seems inconsistent with the humility possessed by the current management group. Obviously people change and obviously the Canucks have more information at their disposal than I, or the rest of CDC, do. People can only speak from their subjective perspectives.

why would anahiem trade up for nylander/Ehlers/Fleury? They probably would take Virtanen at 6th

Exactly. Why do people seem to think we took him too high.

I think people are taking too much stock in mock drafts. Those rarely predict picks beyond the top 5.

If Anaheim traded up to 6th, I bet they take Virtanen over Ritchie.

• Upvote 1