The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

Virtanen - McCann - Fox

Gaunce - Cassels - Vey

(something tells me Shinkaruk might be on the move)

Jensen plays RW

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Virtanen - McCann - Jensen

Gaunce - Cassels - Vey

That looks much better.

Edited by Drouin

People have to realize a player that has average skating but great hockey IQ has very little time to make plays in the NHL.On the other hand a player with blazing speed and quickness can get away with having a lower hockey IQ because he gives himself more time to process what he's seeing.

And what's that where your comment came from ... Oh it's a tiny little brain. What's your basis of your thought.

Virtanen is first round pick, but he is not a #6 overall pick, plain and simple. Not one commentator worth is mettle had him rated that high (not talking about BS mock drafts). The simple truth is that we left far more talented players on the board, and for that reason the Canucks messed it up.

Go back and re-read your post unlike your response above your first post had little logic in it; when you start in out with the word "bust" ! The simple truth is anyone picked could be a bust for any number of reasons. I would have liked Nylander or Ehlers , but I have enough logic to understand taking Virtanen.

The upside of these three players is very different for many different reasons. Nylander will be the best playmaker of the three maybe Henrick Sedin like. Ehlers could be the most exciting goal scorer of the bunch, All three can skate like the wind, but who is the fastest? Virtanen has tools that both the other two will never have and everyone knows them.

Simple truth you can use all the number crunching you like until they play in the NHL you do not know who will produce and who will not. I'm a numbers guy myself , but I do realize the numbers will never tell the whole story too many other factors to look at.

I like the pick more and more as time goes on.

I still have the same concerns as I did before the draft, but I have always thought he had 20-30 goal upside, and at his peak he could be one of the best scorers in the league.

If he develops a more dynamic offensive game (which may be possible) he could be a star, and him coming to his hometown team has added some extra fuel to the fire.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I like the pick more and more as time goes on.

I still have the same concerns as I did before the draft, and I have always thought he had 20-30 goal upside, but at his peak he could be one of the best scorers in the league.

If he develops a more dynamic offensive game (which may be possible) he could be a star, and him coming to his hometown team has added some extra fuel to the fire.

Virtanen is the type of player we needed. Has all the tools to be an NHLer and the potential to be a great one.

Watching him dominate in the WHL is going to be fun.

Jensen can play either wing, same as Virtanen.

And McCann spent a lot of time on LW last season.

Wow. thanks didnt know this, makes things much more interesting... How is he on the wing compared to center, does anybody have an idea?

Edited by Horvat

I wanted Ehlers but I'm still happy with Virtanen. What really gets me pumped is that Virtanen is 17, one of the youngest players in the draft and already 210 lbs of speed, skill and physicality. There's concerns regarding his hockey IQ but the Tigers are a great junior club and they'll definitely help him think the game and polish his playmaking. I can't wait to see what he does next year.

I wanted Ehlers but I'm still happy with Virtanen. What really gets me pumped is that Virtanen is 17, one of the youngest players in the draft and already 210 lbs of speed, skill and physicality. There's concerns regarding his hockey IQ but the Tigers are a great junior club and they'll definitely help him think the game and polish his playmaking. I can't wait to see what he does next year.

He plays for the Hitmen.

I agree that in time, Jake will develop a greater sense of the game around him. If management feels it is an area of concern, then they will provide him with every opportunity to improve - video, mentorship, an increased emphasis on creativity, brain stimulating activities..

And if this Hockey thing doesn't work out he'll have all the skills needed to work with the mentally handy capped.

Good idea to have a plan "B" Jake,

People have to realize a player that has average skating but great hockey IQ has very little time to make plays in the NHL.On the other hand a player with blazing speed and quickness can get away with having a lower hockey IQ because he gives himself more time to process what he's seeing.

So, you're saying we should have kept Raymond over Henrik?

• Upvote 1

people talking about jakes hockey IQ need to remember just how young he is for this draft class.

To put it in perspective Jack Eichel a #1 or #2 pick next year is closer in age to Jake (72 days apart) than jake is to almost all of the top rated prospects in this draft.

Nikolaj ehlers (185days) sam reinhart (285days) Ritchie (256 days) draisaitl(295days almost a full year) bennett&dalcolle (58days weird both have same bday) nylander (108)

for me that is a great bonus for Jake that he is close in development to some of the prospects that are much older than him. If you look at sam reinhart's month by month totals from 2012-13 it tells a very clear tale he went from barely averaging a PPG before xmas to almost 1.5ppg after xmas in 2012.

that 9 month difference at that age are huge in development and maturity and physical growth. For me it is another piece of the puzzle to look at when evaluating prospects for a draft.

fun fact: bo horvat is closer in age to reinhart, draisaitl and ritchie than jake is.

• Upvote 1

Jensen plays RW

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kassian

Virtanen - McCann - Jensen

Gaunce - Cassels - Vey

That looks much better.

That third line looks beastly.

Adding Virtanen and McCann really moved filled out our prospect pool for forwards.

Our center depth is pretty elite for our prospects right now.

4th line could be

Kenins LaBate Grenier

at some point.

That third line looks beastly.

Adding Virtanen and McCann really moved filled out our prospect pool for forwards.

Our center depth is pretty elite for our prospects right now.

4th line could be

Kenins LaBate Grenier

at some point.

Define "Elite"

Wayne Gretzky? Horrible Skater,

Luc Robitaille? First time I saw him play, my first thought was "I can skate better than that"

Ray Sheppard? I don't even know if he COULD skate, but he could score 50 goals,

Speed will keep you in the NHL, and get you that 3-4 line job, if you happened to be faster than the next guy,

But Skill trumps all, ability to see how the play is developing and where you or your teammates need to be and what you need to do when you get there is what separates the main-eventers from the Jabroni's in this league.

Were that not the case, and speed/size is all that mattered, Sestito and Mike Brown would be perennial all-stars.

Unfortunately for then, they can bull their way to a certain part of the ice or get there faster then the next guy, but by the time that happens someone with "Hockey I.Q" has has already taken the play elsewhere.

Wayne Gretzky? Horrible Skater,

Luc Robitaille? First time I saw him play, my first thought was "I can skate better than that"

Ray Sheppard? I don't even know if he COULD skate, but he could score 50 goals,

Speed will keep you in the NHL, and get you that 3-4 line job, if you happened to be faster than the next guy,

But Skill trumps all, ability to see how the play is developing and where you or your teammates need to be and what you need to do when you get there is what separates the main-eventers from the Jabroni's in this league.

Were that not the case, and speed/size is all that mattered, Sestito and Mike Brown would be perennial all-stars.

Unfortunately for then, they can bull their way to a certain part of the ice or get there faster then the next guy, but by the time that happens someone with "Hockey I.Q" has has already taken the play elsewhere.

Hockey IQ is very important for sure. But I think your irrational hatred for Virtanen is clouding your argument. He is still a very talented player that does good things with the skillset he has. Will that translate to the NHL? Who knows. But you could say that about any prospect.

There are a lot of players in the league who have average hockey IQ and are still very good players.

And organizationally, we needed more players like Virtanen and less like Schroeder. Because the flip side of your argument is that small guys can be wizards in junior but get overmatched physically at the NHL level and not translate that same type of game.

Define "Elite"

Stalked. Among the best etc. I totally agree with him.

Horvat, McCann, Gaunce, Cassels, Fox, and Vey. That is actually a really deep squad at center. Aside from a obvious number 1 center (which is pretty hard to find) this is super solid. I for one thing, one of these guys can probably turn into a number 1 center anyway. It's a matter of numbers. Chances are, at least one of these guys should underachieve, and at least one of these guys should overachieve.

Edited by TheLiveWire