The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Demko looks like a confused goalie right now. He is getting beat high on the glove side consistently and from what I see he is going down too early and playing too deep in the net. The better shooters are picking corners on him.

Everything I've read about Rollie is that he likes his goalies to play deep in the blue but it isn't working right now with Thatcher.  I would like to see him more aggressively attacking the shooter to get some confidence back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Demko looks like a confused goalie right now. He is getting beat high on the glove side consistently and from what I see he is going down too early and playing too deep in the net. The better shooters are picking corners on him.

Everything I've read about Rollie is that he likes his goalies to play deep in the blue but it isn't working right now with Thatcher.  I would like to see him more aggressively attacking the shooter to get some confidence back.

Sounds like he just needs to find the space between his natural play and what Rollie wants him to do. 

Probably just over thinking his positioning etc instead of playing on instinct. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sounds like he just needs to find the space between his natural play and what Rollie wants him to do. 

Probably just over thinking his positioning etc instead of playing on instinct. 

Sounds like another young fellow we have in Utica. 

could we be over coaching?

On 2/20/2017 at 1:50 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Thatcher, it seems, is having his AHL growing pains as well. Made 26 saves out of 31 shots faced in a 7-4 home loss to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

Not to worry, though. Cory Schneider had his AHL growing pains with the Manitoba Moose and look what happened. 

Schneider had Lungo's mentorship though. Who is going to mentor Demko?

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Comparing Schneider's first season to Demko's isn't really fair. 

The Moose had a veteran lineup that was a Calder Cup contender and Demko has a very young team in front of him with a blueline that gives up far too many opportunities most nights. Add to that the fact that he only plays once a week (if that), and it's alot to ask for a young goalie.

Demko showed earlier in the season when Bachman was out that he can more than handle the AHL level. His biggest problem seems to be getting in a groove after siting out for long stretches. He's so used to being the guy that plays every game, that it's a bit of an adjustment to play the backup role. It's all part of the learning curve though.

Great points. I didn't realize that. 

Overall, we still need to be patient and not panic. Thatcher is going to be fine.

On 25/01/2017 at 0:22 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Demko claims the #3 spot on the Canucks Army Midterm Prospects Rankings:

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/25/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-3-thatcher-demko

do we have any idea who in the Jr and college ranks would be mostly a lock for utica next season?  we have quiet a few who will be bumping up don't we? 

breezer, neil, Olson, jasek, etc etc who else?

could we see Lockwood or gaudette if he doesn't make it on the big club? I'm expecting Boeser to be given all chances go earn an nhl spot even if it's learning on the fly.  who else would make the jump?

I'm expecting gaudette would likely be one of the early call ups if he doesn't make the squad.  can we expect Subban to be there next year? I highly doubt it myself. 

3 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

Thatcher and the comets with the 2-1 win last night. He stopped 27/28 shots to bring his record to:

10-11-4, .896 SV%, 2.95 GAA

much better :) patience is key.  he seems to thrive when under pressure.  the team loses 2 of their top guys and he stands up.  he has a lot of character. its as if he wants the burden of being the #1. 

I think they are taking the right approach though.  let him train with rollie get some games in but work on his fundamentals.

• Upvote 1

On 25/02/2017 at 11:06 AM, Rush17 said:

do we have any idea who in the Jr and college ranks would be mostly a lock for utica next season?  we have quiet a few who will be bumping up don't we? 

breezer, neil, Olson, jasek, etc etc who else?

could we see Lockwood or gaudette if he doesn't make it on the big club? I'm expecting Boeser to be given all chances go earn an nhl spot even if it's learning on the fly.  who else would make the jump?

I'm expecting gaudette would likely be one of the early call ups if he doesn't make the squad.  can we expect Subban to be there next year? I highly doubt it myself. 

Sounds like the plan is for one more year of college for Gaudette. 

32 minutes ago, Get real canuck fans said:

5 goals allowed in last 4 games on 128 shots. His 2nd real good stretch,,followed by some shaky stretches but he will find his groove if not now in the near future and the shaky stretches will be minimal

Great to hear, especially with Bachman unavailable.  Sounds like the whole team is really coming together, and at the right time.

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Looks like we've got a future no.1 goaltender on our hands.

Hopefully Markstrom can be a good stop-gap while we wait for Thatcher to develop. 

Markstrom has to be given some games before this season comes to an end. and management have to force Willie to play Markstrom more. he's almost 28 years old and hasn't had a sniff to prove whether he can be a starter in this league or not. times running out for him. if Miller is brought back. I can't see how Willie changes his way with his roster deployments. if anything he continues with the way he's been coaching his year. i can't stand his addiction to Megna. what the &^@#. Megna has 10 points this year. TEN. and he's often playing in roles that he shouldn't be put in. I don't understand Willie's logic. that man has to go. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Markstrom has to be given some games before this season comes to an end. and management have to force Willie to play Markstrom more. he's almost 28 years old and hasn't had a sniff to prove whether he can be a starter in this league or not. times running out for him. if Miller is brought back. I can't see how Willie changes his way with his roster deployments. if anything he continues with the way he's been coaching his year. i can't stand his addiction to Megna. what the &^@#. Megna has 10 points this year. TEN. and he's often playing in roles that he shouldn't be put in. I don't understand Willie's logic. that man has to go. 

The whole Megna thing is management's fault.

We simply do not have enough young players in this organization to play instead of Megna.