The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What does Myers bring besides a warm body?

He is not someone who Green uses a lot on the penalty kill. He does not play on the top powerplay unit. At even strength he starts in the offensive zone more than anyone except Hughes. 

How many defenseman who are currently on ELCs would get paid 6+ million if they had to renegotiate their contract right now? Less than 10%? 

Myers does not take away any tough situations from Edler or Tanev. As I said, Tanev is playing the same amount on the penalty kill this year as he was last year. He also has more defensive zone starts than Myers. Again, Tanev's average is time has gone down 18 seconds. Do you have any examples that counter this?

You said yourself. Zone starts.

He's also playing almost 22 minutes a night so Edler and Tanev don't have to play over their heads TOI (or situations/zone starts).

That 'not used a lot' is still used some. That's why he's here. He's an additional, capable, top 4 D. Nobody's declaring him as some top pair dynamo. He's here to take the edge off. At a higher level than the bottom pair guy.

Guys on ELC's don't make $6m. It's literally impossible. It's even highly infrequent they make that much on RFA bridge deals unless it's also buying UFA years and/or they're TOP players (Hughes will likely see something in that territory on his bridge deal for instance). $6m is basically the current, going rate for a 2nd pair unrestricted free agent. First pair D tend to be more in the $8-12m range. Whether there's 30 or 5 other guys in that situation doesn't particularly matter. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He's talking about the ripple effect of adding Myers and how it has helped keep Tanev healthy this season (knock on wood). Hughes plays a part in it as well, but we have another top 4 dman that can eat up some of the minutes that Tanev may have had to take.

Isn’t the “knock on wood” thingy what we have been doing for 5 or 6 years already?

This isn’t about other players making it easier or healthier for Chris Tanev..  it’s about having a stronger player .

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Isn’t the “knock on wood” thingy what we have been doing for 5 or 6 years already?

This isn’t about other players making it easier or healthier for Chris Tanev..  it’s about having a stronger player .

You're starting another argument that isn't related to the current topic. We've been over this already.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

You're starting another argument that isn't related to the current topic. We've been over this already.

In fact, adding Tryamkin to Myers and Hughes would only serve to aid the current subject further! ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, khay said:

So your post shows that Myers filled the gap between our #1, #2 defenceman and our next best defenceman. 

Last season: Edler > Tanev >>>>>> Stecher > Hutton, Biega, MDZ.

This season: Edler, Hughes > Tanev >= Myers >> Stecher. 

In an ideal world, we want that gap to be filled by someone within the system at a lower cap hit. You are not wrong there: 6M #4D may not be desirable. But we didn't have an option but to sign a UFA. We already traded our 1st rounder for Miller and bleeding more asset to fill another gap? It may weaken the team significantly. UFA players, although costly, provide options to fill gaps in the roster without a loss of an asset.

I think at worst, Myers is a #4 defenceman, whom on UFA market goes for at least 5M. We may have overpaid by 1M at most so I think it's worth it.

As for providing protection for Tanev, I guess having Myers exposed Tanev less to highly stressful situations. For example, because we had no one reliable after Edler and Tanev, these two guys had to play in more stressful situations, 5-on-5 not to mention PK during the course of last season. This season, with Myers being a reliable option, Tanev and Edler can take a break after a PK on some of these high stress 5-on-5 plays.

Here are the numbers from NHL.com, if anyone is interested:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=penaltykill&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=D&playerPlayedFor=franchise.20&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shTimeOnIce&page=0&pageSize=50

Avto vs Dynamo Mn. Try with more offensive forays this game. Interesting, not his forte but he does bring the puck in with speed. Avto is 33 points ahead of Dynamo in the standings and it was a choppy 6-4 win for Avto (still missing N.1 goalie out for the season with surgery) Tryamkin has to learn his reads as he enters the zone. Try showing some meanness clearing the crease in the 2nd, nice to see. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, DS4quality said:

Wait didn't we sign Myers for 5 and not 6 million? Where did that extra million come from? So does that mean he's actually a 4m player getting 5m?

Nope, he’s a 6 million dollar player getting 6 million per year.  

Adds a ton of stability to our lineup and Tryamkin will too with a mentor like Myers.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Tryamkin played 24:57 in that game! Example to the bolded part of the quote:

He will fit in fine with our other offensive minded players,.  I’ve never seen Nik get pinned on his outside move up the boards..

if he just scans the ice to see the size of anyone in front of him , he could almost decide to take it straight to the net on a whim.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 Days.   Twelve Days.        Just Twelve Days...  

TWELVE Godamn DAYS

12 short days...            a sexy Twelve. 

T

T  W E L V E

E

L

V

LovE It.   :gocan:

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

TWELVE Godamn DAYS

T

T  W E L V E

E

L

V

Until? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

TWELVE Godamn DAYS

T

T  W E L V E

E

L

V

You really need to get some help for this addiction SamB)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The first bolded part isn't exactly true and those numbers were only looking at short handed time. Edler, Tanev and Benn are Green's clear top 3 options on the penalty kill. Myers takes the odd shorthanded shift (likely when one of the other 3 aren't available and/or when Benn got scratched). A more accurate way to describe it would be:

Tanev > Edler >>> Benn >>>>>>>>Myers>>>>>>>>> everyone else

Remember, that's purely on the penalty kill and only measures minutes played. I believe Stetcher's shorthanded stats are actually impressive and similar to Tanev's, but he doesn't get the same deployment. Myers isn't relied on to make any tangible difference on the penalty kill. Tanev still plays the same amount shorthanded as he did last year. 

Regarding the second bolded part, Myers' cap hit looks like it might directly push Stetcher off the team. It will probably cost us assets to get comfortably under the cap next year considering we need to make room for bonuses as well. These are directly caused by cap mismanagement, which Myers' contract is an example of. He's not the only reason we are in cap trouble and it's not entirely his fault by any means, but he is a contributor. Myers has been a good addition to our defensive core, but at a cost that is too high when you consider the cap implications. 

I get what you're saying about paying a premium for UFAs, but there is no rule saying that you MUST sign UFAs. The option to simply stand pat is available and often underutilized. 

I see your point regarding PK. What you are saying is that Myers is not even the third best PKer. In fact Benn, at 2M salary, is used more for PK than Myers. And hence, if anyone is relieving Tanev of tough duties, it should be Benn not Myers. And furthermore, Myers does not fill in the gap between Tanev and Stecher on PK. Got it.

But I guess I'm looking beyond penalty kill to determine if Myers' salary is justified.

I see Tanev and Myers as complementary players. For example, remember our  2nd PP unit was probably the most useless 2nd PP unit in the entire league. It's no coincidence that it's better this season with Myers. He provides a hard right handed shot from the point and he is pretty good at getting the shot through. Neither Stecher nor Tanev provides a shot from the point on the PP. In fact, even among forwards, we didn't really have a right handed shot from the point on the PP for so many seasons. Myers gets PP minutes, Tanev gets (tougher) PK minutes. Myers shares some of the tough 5-on-5 minutes that Tanev used to absorb too. 

Let me reiterate that I don't disagree with you regarding Myers on PK; you do provide the minutes to back up your claim. Myers may not be great on PK and no doubt that Tanev is great on PK and hence, the coaching staff deciding to continue to go to him for important kills. But when I say Myers fills the gap between Tanev and Stecher, I mean it beyond PK, to 5-on-5 and PP. Myers does somethings at 5-on-5 and PP better than Stecher and Tanev. 

I have no doubt that he is deserving of his salary at least for this season and even if he is slightly overpaid, it isn't by much.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1