The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] It's time the Canucks open up their chequebook & ink Tanev for good

TheRussianRocket.

The past few years Tanev has (rightfully) settled for 1 year bridge contracts with the team not paying him and Chris's value has only continued to increase. This was really the final audition for him to prove he's the real deal and I'm certain he has done so. It'd make sense to give him a long term deal now instead of waiting and potentially giving another bridge deal come seasons end which would only mean a bigger payday when he decides to sign long term later on.

Thing with Tanev is he's always been a reliable dman, arguably the most responsible in our zone from the entire team, but the question was always is that all he was? He had a minimal offensive side to his game and despite him being so trustworthy defensively, you simply don't hand out big bucks over 4-5 years to a guy that is one dimensional like that. Was smart on our previous management to wait things out and see what Tanev could truly bring and turns out its a win-win for both parties. Tanev has shown he has an offensive game but although he can't finish as well as others, he has great offensive instinct and the ability to set up others and occasionally put the puck in the net as well. From a one dimensional defensive dman, he's made a name for himself as a 2way dman that gives defense first priority and can jump up when need be. At this rate it seems he's capable of being a 25+ point dman for us and add that to his already rock solid play and stable defense, he's earned the right to be paid as a 2 dimensional player.

Now he's not a Kronwall or a Giordano (Great 2way dmen) nor is he a Klein or a Scuderi (minimally limited 2 way dmen) by any means. Rather, he fits somewhere in between the 2 and brings a mixture of both worlds. Chris kind of reminds me of Chicago's Niklas Hjalmarsson and I think that's what he is to us. Tanev is better defensively than him but a little less offensive (production wise) but nonetheless, he falls in the middle and classifies as a good, reliable 2 way dman that does it all.

Tanev has proven himself and I say it's time to lock him up. If JB could sign him during the season it'd be best so his value doesn't get any higher than it already is plus it'd allow management to see it's financial flexibility heading forward. If not the season, definitely afterwards. I say he deserves a contract around the $3.5-$4.25 million range for 5-6 years and will be a go to dman for the Blue & Green for years to come. One of the best and most underrated dmen statistically in the entire league, it's about time... pay the man kid!

Just what them team needs, another 4m+ defensemen.

Defense does win championships (just ask LA/Chicago/Boston) and not like we have any forwards deserving of big raises anyways, may as well use it where we can. And I said between $3.5-$4.25 mill...i don't see any other way he signs for less than that long term and if it's anothervbridge, then you get the same problem later down the road unless you have a better suggestion.

He is good, but man people here overate him. If we are in a position where Tanev can be our 5th guy with a solid partner, then you know we have depth and have a playoff defense. If we are signing him and expecting him top be in our top 2 or 4, then you know what kind of position we are in...

Tanev doesn't hit, weak shot, not fast, not a point producer. A solid 5th/6th guy the can play top 4 minutes when/if needed. If we want and are working towards building a Championship team, we all know this defense isn't going to cut it.

^hea currently playing top pair with Edler and he's not s 5/6 guy. And doesn't matter, he brings stability to the backend. Edler can hit/shoot/produces points/is fast but he's not the greatest dman now is he? See your point is flawed, it's ultimately about how you play. And you can't pick and choose certain categories like that...if so, I can say all the advanced stats Tanev does better than majority of the league.

Defense does win championships (just ask LA/Chicago/Boston) and not like we have any forwards deserving of big raises anyways, may as well use it where we can. And I said between $3.5-$4.25 mill...i don't see any other way he signs for less than that long term and if it's anothervbridge, then you get the same problem later down the road unless you have a better suggestion.

Tanev doesn't really bring anything special, aside from being reliable in his own end. We already have guys here who brings the exact same traits as Tanev, but are being paid more (Hamhuis) or less (Stanton). If we pay him 4M+, we just handicap ourselves, from bring-in players who we actually need in FA (top 6 forward, PMD).

I'd say, try to negotiate a deal between 3-4M near the trade deadline. If he's asking for more money, then trade him for prospects and picks. Then, re-sign Stanton in the off-season for under 2M.

^hea currently playing top pair with Edler and he's not s 5/6 guy. And doesn't matter, he brings stability to the backend. Edler can hit/shoot/produces points/is fast but he's not the greatest dman now is he? See your point is flawed, it's ultimately about how you play. And you can't pick and choose certain categories like that...if so, I can say all the advanced stats Tanev does better than majority of the league.

Proves my point, we ain't going anywhere with that as our top pair. Just ask yourselves this, where would Tanev play on other top teams defense? For an average team that can be a top pair, but if the ultimate goal is to build a cup winning team our defense isn't it.

Depth for a contending team is different than an average team. If we were a contending team, our depth would be something like Burrows and Higgins as our 4th line and Tanev as our 5th/6th. Our depth is Yannick Weber, Sestito, Mathias, Richardson. While LA has Mike Richards on their 4th line....

Unfortunately imo Stanton could eclipse any chance of Tanev getting over $3M.

Stanton has looked a bit more physical and just as reliable in the time he has been here. Like the person above says, let's see how CT does this year but even if he is outstanding I can't see him making $4M on this team. I don't think Benning works like that and I don't see him getting more than 3/4 years either.

I'd sign him at $3.65 million a year over 4 years.

For those who don't think he'll be worth that in 2 seasons you're daft as the going rate for even marginal players is increasing with the cap raises that occur every year and in 3 years we will see the Barkers of the league getting $3+ million just to fill boots on the roster.

I will agree that as of right now inking him to that would be beneficial to the team and to Tanev but I am unsure that benning is ready to jump on knowing he still has to solidify his roster and confirm Sbisa is worth holding on to and whether or not we have a reliable 7-8 between Corrado and Weber

He is good, but man people here overate him. If we are in a position where Tanev can be our 5th guy with a solid partner, then you know we have depth and have a playoff defense. If we are signing him and expecting him top be in our top 2 or 4, then you know what kind of position we are in...

Tanev doesn't hit, weak shot, not fast, not a point producer. A solid 5th/6th guy the can play top 4 minutes when/if needed. If we want and are working towards building a Championship team, we all know this defense isn't going to cut it.

Which is why he gets under 4m in my opinion, plus you never know he might start to produce as he gets more experience, he has the vision. He has a decent enough wrister but obviously doesn't get the opportunity to use it in effective areas much.

I would counter the second bolded sentence by saying that actually every championship team needs a player like Tanev in their top 4. You need an offensive pair and a shutdown pair, or at least players that can do both. Right now, and for the last 3 years, we have lacked the offensive defensemen. Tanev is top 4 on most of the 'elite' teams at the moment because of the shutdown/stay at home role he plays. That role is a necessity for success, in 2011 hamhuis didn't do all that much hitting or point producing either..

He is with Edler to allow him to explore/discover the offensive part of his game we have all been asking of him for years with Tanev there to be bail him out if need be. This I think further proves Tanev's serviceability. Edler producing is obviously a major need for this team and if Tanev can allow eddie to do that then that further increases Tanev's value.

I think Tanev is a servicable player for sure and he has value to this (and any) team. However, I do feel he is a bit of a money chaser. I still think we should lock him up for the figures you said because, as mentioned, 3or4 years down the line he is on a bargain contract. IF he overvalues himself and wants upwards of that I say we explore the option of trading him for a solid return.. if it's there.

I just really hope Benning sees the talent level of Tanev and Stanton and doesn't compromise keeping them because of Sbisa's "potential"

Next year I am hoping Frankie takes the next step and we have a top 6 of this:

DH 4.5M - FC 900k
AE 5M - CT 4.25M
RS - 1.75M - KB 4.6M

Archived