The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] It's time the Canucks open up their chequebook & ink Tanev for good

TheRussianRocket.

^hea currently playing top pair with Edler and he's not s 5/6 guy. And doesn't matter, he brings stability to the backend. Edler can hit/shoot/produces points/is fast but he's not the greatest dman now is he? See your point is flawed, it's ultimately about how you play. And you can't pick and choose certain categories like that...if so, I can say all the advanced stats Tanev does better than majority of the league.

I would argue that hammer and juice is our top pair but either way he has been top 4 the last few years without a doubt.

Proves my point, we ain't going anywhere with that as our top pair. Just ask yourselves this, where would Tanev play on other top teams defense? For an average team that can be a top pair, but if the ultimate goal is to build a cup winning team our defense isn't it.

Depth for a contending team is different than an average team. If we were a contending team, our depth would be something like Burrows and Higgins as our 4th line and Tanev as our 5th/6th. Our depth is Yannick Weber, Sestito, Mathias, Richardson. While LA has Mike Richards on their 4th line....

Tanev is basically our 4th best dman. I'd stack him up against any 4th dman in the league.

He's a legit top 4 in this league already and he's a late bloomer who still seems to be improving. He seems stronger on the boards this year and his offensive awareness is underrated. He can play well paired with anyone and it would be crazy to risk losing him. Lock him up!

He has improved this year and I agree, he is playing good enough to be a legitimate top 4 guy for most teams. It was still the right move to sign him to a one year though, and ideally I'd like to see how he fares in a rough and tumble playoff series before the Canucks commit.

It can actually be tricky to find a d-man who is so very smart and responsible in his own end. That certainly is worth a paycheque.

But that's about all he brings to the table. People have put him down because of his lack of offensive ability, and others have completely ignored it and claimed he is a 1-2 guy.

He isn't. He's a very solid bottom pairing guy, who could be considered a 2nd pairing guy as long as you don't expect offense out of him.

As such, I think he's worth maybe 3 million, 3.5 tops. Anything more than that is the kind of money you pay for a player who has all-around talent.

The past few years Tanev has (rightfully) settled for 1 year bridge contracts with the team not paying him and Chris's value has only continued to increase. This was really the final audition for him to prove he's the real deal and I'm certain he has done so. It'd make sense to give him a long term deal now instead of waiting and potentially giving another bridge deal come seasons end which would only mean a bigger payday when he decides to sign long term later on.

Thing with Tanev is he's always been a reliable dman, arguably the most responsible in our zone from the entire team, but the question was always is that all he was? He had a minimal offensive side to his game and despite him being so trustworthy defensively, you simply don't hand out big bucks over 4-5 years to a guy that is one dimensional like that. Was smart on our previous management to wait things out and see what Tanev could truly bring and turns out its a win-win for both parties. Tanev has shown he has an offensive game but although he can't finish as well as others, he has great offensive instinct and the ability to set up others and occasionally put the puck in the net as well. From a one dimensional defensive dman, he's made a name for himself as a 2way dman that gives defense first priority and can jump up when need be. At this rate it seems he's capable of being a 25+ point dman for us and add that to his already rock solid play and stable defense, he's earned the right to be paid as a 2 dimensional player.

Now he's not a Kronwall or a Giordano (Great 2way dmen) nor is he a Klein or a Scuderi (minimally limited 2 way dmen) by any means. Rather, he fits somewhere in between the 2 and brings a mixture of both worlds. Chris kind of reminds me of Chicago's Niklas Hjalmarsson and I think that's what he is to us. Tanev is better defensively than him but a little less offensive (production wise) but nonetheless, he falls in the middle and classifies as a good, reliable 2 way dman that does it all.

Tanev has proven himself and I say it's time to lock him up. If JB could sign him during the season it'd be best so his value doesn't get any higher than it already is plus it'd allow management to see it's financial flexibility heading forward. If not the season, definitely afterwards. I say he deserves a contract around the $3.5-$4.25 million range for 5-6 years and will be a go to dman for the Blue & Green for years to come. One of the best and most underrated dmen statistically in the entire league, it's about time... pay the man kid!

Ten million

Tanev doesn't really bring anything special, aside from being reliable in his own end. We already have guys here who brings the exact same traits as Tanev, but are being paid more (Hamhuis) or less (Stanton). If we pay him 4M+, we just handicap ourselves, from bring-in players who we actually need in FA (top 6 forward, PMD).

I'd say, try to negotiate a deal between 3-4M near the trade deadline. If he's asking for more money, then trade him for prospects and picks. Then, re-sign Stanton in the off-season for under 2M.

Resign Tanev, 3.5, trade hamhuis at deadline for a 1st round pick to a condending team +, sign Mike Green as UFA in the summer. Beiska's contract is up in 2 years, either let him go, trade at next years deadline or resign him at a cheaper rate.

In two years we'd have

Green

Edler

Tanev

Stanton

Sbisa

Corrado

Possible a prospect or one of our latest picks

I can see Tanev getting 3+, but is he really Edler, Hammer or Bieksa money? I don't think so. I do think he's a player who is a very valuable member of our top 4 but he doesn't command 4 mil. Much of his value comes from being a cost-effective, steady d man. Fortunately for us (unfortunately for him) his skills aren't highly marketable and thus he gets paid less.

But to those slagging him off, he and Edler both have elite corsi for % (65ish). Their pairing's possession game is equal to what the Sedins did last year which is nothing short of stellar.

Tanev has a long way to go. Love the kid but he needs to SHOW us waaay MORE before management is gonna pony up that kind of cash for him. Teams are spending way to much cash on players and it is already biting them in the butts. Do not be surprised if he is traded. This season anything may happen in terms of movement. Players may play themselves in or out of the the future plan.

WE need more consistent goal scoring to really compete.

I could see Tanev signing for 2-4 years @ 3.5-4 million. He is arguably our most consistent defenceman. He can play in all situations against any team/player without making a ton of mistakes. He is IMO a low risk/low reward type of player. What you see is what you get. He won't wow you with anything in particular but he does all the little things well.

Every team needs players like that to balance the riskier ones. He brings a calmness and poise in contrast to a player like Edler or Bieksa who seem jittery and unsure at times. He will probably not put up more than 25-30 points per season but he's not really expected to.

I think the team would be in serious trouble if he gets away.

I think 3.25M for 4 years is fair. 2.8-3M for 3 years would be ideal too. He is undrafted and I think he would gladly take one of those two offers. He's probably one of the most reliable defensemen we've ever had in a long time. The fact that he only has 11 penalties in his 162 career says a lot. You can even combine that with his +/- if you want. If we are going to pay him 3.5-4M+, he's got to put up points as well.

Just what them team needs, another 4m+ defensemen.

Could you perhaps give us some reasons as to why you think Tanev is NOT worth a long contract? I am super curious as you are one of the posters I actually really respect on here.

Personally I think Tanev is worth a longer contract, because he is pretty much one of the only players (let alone Defensemen) who actually shows up, and works hard every shift. Sure he may not have the same offense capabilities as Edler or Bieksa but the fact that he is more defensely consistent then both of them kind of makes up for it. Plus he is still fairly young, and I feel will be an important part of our D core in the future.

I know alot of people feel we don't need Tanev because of Corrado and Stanton but to be honest I don't necessary see it. Corrado is kind over-rated (I would love if he proved me wrong) and although I do like Stanton I do not think he is as defensively sound as Tanev is.

Hammer and Juice will not be able to be our 'top' d line forever and Edler is really unrealiable so I fail to see why Tanev shouldn't be given the credit he deserves.

Could you perhaps give us some reasons as to why you think Tanev is NOT worth a long contract? I am super curious as you are one of the posters I actually really respect on here.

Personally I think Tanev is worth a longer contract, because he is pretty much one of the only players (let alone Defensemen) who actually shows up, and works hard every shift. Sure he may not have the same offense capabilities as Edler or Bieksa but the fact that he is more defensely consistent then both of them kind of makes up for it. Plus he is still fairly young, and I feel will be an important part of our D core in the future.

I know alot of people feel we don't need Tanev because of Corrado and Stanton but to be honest I don't necessary see it. Corrado is kind over-rated (I would love if he proved me wrong) and although I do like Stanton I do not think he is as defensively sound as Tanev is.

Hammer and Juice will not be able to be our 'top' d line forever and Edler is really unrealiable so I fail to see why Tanev shouldn't be given the credit he deserves.

I never said he doesn't deserve a long term deal. In matter of fact, he should be locked up long term, as long as is a reasonable price for the team. Anything north of 4M+, I'd say no deal.

Archived