The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Sharks

-Vintage Canuck-

Glad for the win but promised myself I would not allow W/L to determine the success of this road trip. Instead, I wanted to see how they played/competed win or lose. So far I'd estimate they've played 1.5 good periods 1 so-so and been outplayed badly for 3.5. They've competed hard but not played that well for long stretches.

Tonight should have been a blow out except for MIller.

I'm somewhat concerned that the Sedins have really dropped off the last few games. Each had about 20 min. tonight including the PP and only managed 1 shot between them. Hank was good in the faceoff circle but 5 on 5, they generated nothing and were rag-dolled most of the night. Secondary scoring is great and I am happy to see all 4 lines contributing but the top offensive line has to create some pressure.

Despite the lopsided play, they fought all night and found a way with Miller really stealing this one. Thank goodness SJS doesn't have Miller, they would be unbeatable.

Hopefully the Nucks got a wake up call tonight and will play a much stronger game against LA.

I was watching the Sharks feed, and even their commentators couldn't believe that Tanev "hooking" penalty.

And I guess if a puck isn't far enough for icing, you just have to pretend you don't see the puck until it crosses the line!

I couldn't care less what the play was like.

The bottom line was the Sharks couldn't find a way to win and we gave them a goal of a start. Miller was great but take nothing away from the the rest of the players who's compete level and energy was relentless.

We were also playing a completely rested team while we had just played 2 games in 3 days.

It should be pointed out also (and I am not condemning Bo when I say this) we were to all intents and purposes playing a man short. That is not an issue against the "lesser" teams but it is when you play the likes of San Jose.

Bo is a rookie and he is finding it hard to actually get into the game due to the pace it is being played when the chips are down.

If we accept that we are going to have to cope with this while Bo finds his feet we certainly must cut the team some slack because other people (Richardson and Dorsett in particular) have to make up the shortfall and they did, both playing like Tasmanian Devils.

Burr did not look game sharp and also seemed to have trouble getting to the pace of the game but that was to be expected I suppose after his suspension.

No one can deny a fit Kassian in place of Bo would have helped us last night but all in all I was very pleased at how we bent but didn't break.

Wow, I wasn't a fan of the Miller signing and was already eating crow before this, but have to have another helping now. He totally stole that one. But we've had some stolen from us too. Still, this win wouldn't have happened without his calm, unflappable attitude. I wonder how many cups we'd have over the past 6 years or so with that kind of mental strength in goal. Anyway, the road trip is already going to be at least acceptable and anything after this is gravy.

Wow, I wasn't a fan of the Miller signing and was already eating crow before this, but have to have another helping now. He totally stole that one. But we've had some stolen from us too. Still, this win wouldn't have happened without his calm, unflappable attitude. I wonder how many cups we'd have over the past 6 years or so with that kind of mental strength in goal. Anyway, the road trip is already going to be at least acceptable and anything after this is gravy.

I agree!! 4 points is very much OK out of this road trip, so any more points is just a great bonus. But I got a feeling we'll actually dump the KIngs and goes 3 for 3 on the road :towel:

Glad for the win but promised myself I would not allow W/L to determine the success of this road trip. Instead, I wanted to see how they played/competed win or lose. So far I'd estimate they've played 1.5 good periods 1 so-so and been outplayed badly for 3.5. They've competed hard but not played that well for long stretches.

Tonight should have been a blow out except for MIller.

I'm somewhat concerned that the Sedins have really dropped off the last few games. Each had about 20 min. tonight including the PP and only managed 1 shot between them. Hank was good in the faceoff circle but 5 on 5, they generated nothing and were rag-dolled most of the night. Secondary scoring is great and I am happy to see all 4 lines contributing but the top offensive line has to create some pressure.

Despite the lopsided play, they fought all night and found a way with Miller really stealing this one. Thank goodness SJS doesn't have Miller, they would be unbeatable.

Hopefully the Nucks got a wake up call tonight and will play a much stronger game against LA.

The Sharts and Av's are 2 of the fastest teams in the NHL, and we hung in there and started to outplay both in the 3rd witch shows determination and compete level. LA is much slower and injured and we competed hard with them last year more than any of the Cali teams. We also have Miller who has been getting stronger every game it seems.

Just a question, is there no one else who can step in as a third pairing d-man? Sbisa just seems like such a liability out there.

I take it you missed the game.

Honestly you must have missed it because Sbisa looked fine out there last night. If anyone had a below par game it was Hammer. (Bieksa wasn't that great in the first period but got a lot better)

Glad for the win but promised myself I would not allow W/L to determine the success of this road trip. Instead, I wanted to see how they played/competed win or lose. So far I'd estimate they've played 1.5 good periods 1 so-so and been outplayed badly for 3.5. They've competed hard but not played that well for long stretches.Tonight should have been a blow out except for MIller.I'm somewhat concerned that the Sedins have really dropped off the last few games. Each had about 20 min. tonight including the PP and only managed 1 shot between them. Hank was good in the faceoff circle but 5 on 5, they generated nothing and were rag-dolled most of the night. Secondary scoring is great and I am happy to see all 4 lines contributing but the top offensive line has to create some pressure.Despite the lopsided play, they fought all night and found a way with Miller really stealing this one. Thank goodness SJS doesn't have Miller, they would be unbeatable.Hopefully the Nucks got a wake up call tonight and will play a much stronger game against LA.

I believe that is how some games just go. The Canucks got involved in a few fire drills last night and Miller kept them in the game. That happens. Let's face it, the Sedins are covered like white on rice every game, that is the oppositions game plan each night when you play the Canucks. But unlike other years, secondary scoring is now pitching in and I beliieve that is what Benning has been working on since he was hired. Our secondary scoring was practically non existent in previous years.

Sedinery is still there in my opinion, it is just being frantically checked.

I will however concede we have a long way to go before we count ourselves any type of playoff team.

Canucks were fracking lucky to win this one....hope they enjoy it....and hope it helps them for the next series of games.....they have the crappy start like tonight against the ducks and they will be smashed...

Sharks always dominate the first this season; it's what they do. Team worked hard and deserved the win, it wasn't lucky at all.

I think the fact of the matter is the Sharks had a lot of rest while Vancouver had a 9 game streak without 2 days between games. The team is probably tired. I am very happy with how the team has played considering we had a week off after only our 2nd game.

3 more games and we have a slowdown so the team can catch their collective breaths. 2 days before the yotes and 4 days after.

Yes we were lucky to win this game but just like with Lu or boy Miller has the capability to steal 4-5 games for us throughout the season, and boy am I glad we have him.

Archived