The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat Talk (CT edition)

avelanch

He is developing along the lines of a Jonathan Toews... maybe not quite as tall a player, not the reach and not quite as much top speed, but maybe with a little more initial quickness, acceleration and ability to stay on his feet and to hit.

I expect him to put up 60 pts a year once he hits his stride... and do that for 5 years in a row.

And I expect he will be a complete nightmare for the opposing team's top line center... he will be all over them... a real shut down force.

Yeah, I'm expecting he will be "that guy" to score the big goals. Not necessarily game-winners, but the ones to get the team back into games or tie them up. The goals that the team really needed at the time.

Gaunce also strikes me as a bit of a Horvat-lite. Good size, decent skills, good worker, straight-forward quiet demeaner with leadership ability, working on being more physical.

Rhys Jessop, everyone.

Take note.

And quite emblematic of what's wrong with Canucks Army these days (and for the past year or so). Too many bloggers with too little variation in their opinions. It's become a weird little clique over there where they've all adopted a kind of groupthink in their analysis and valuation of players.

Kind of the anti-"meat'n'potatoes" crowd now. And their "sober second thought" tends to actually come from Pronman (whose opinions I respect but who also tends to carry a similar bias toward certain player types--generally of the small, skilled, and European variety).

Not that I have a problem, per se, with punditry of that ilk. I appreciate a variety of opinions and perspectives. It's just that CA seems to be getting into a bit of a feedback loop where all their guys are so far out on one side of the spectrum and they don't seem to realize that they've drifted away from what used to make the site great.

Maybe when they get proven wrong (again) on Virtanen, they'll start to rethink their valuation system that privileges small, skilled players and junior points totals over nearly all other evaluative criteria.

Not saying those things aren't important. Just that it's only one piece of the puzzle.

Joining the love fest... :wub::wub::wub:

I think his progress exceeded most people's expectations including the guys and staff on the team. He started from a careful 4th line center with limited minutes where he was solely focusing on the defensive aspects of his game. Through the past four months he's added so much more into his game steadily.

• Hitting and finishing his checks which he wasn't doing at the beginning but as he gains confidence and becomes comfortable with the speed of NHL, he's doing it on a consistent basis
  • More stickhandling in the offensive zone where he is using his strength to protect the puck along the boards as well as showing periodic flashes of drags and dekes
  • Shooting more on the rush and off the wing
  • more short passes

This guy is something special and I for one am thrilled to see him in a Canucks uniform for a long long time to come and maybe one day wearing the C on his chest.

Looking at the goal he scored against Minny you can see so many layers of his maturity, skills and brains. It was almost a 50/50 puck in the neutral zone and the opposition hesitated for just a split second and he pounced on it and gain possession and drove into the offensive zone. While his line mates are a step behind him, instead of stopping along the boards, he lowered his gravity to utilize his inner ox and leaned on the defender to drive to the net. As soon as he sees himself running out of angle, instead of running into the crease and the goalie, he changed strides to go behind the net and used the net to block the defender for a wrap around shot. After that he drove right to the net and eventually found the rebound before anyone else saw where the puck landed. A greasy goal indeed but he basically made it happen from the beginning, in the neutral zone. These are the little things he does consistently that makes a huge difference.

He's also starting to look like one of those guys that can make his line mates look great...Hansen, Kenins, Dorsette. He is the constant in these equations.

And for those that says WD doesn't know how to properly develop a player, he's the showcase for the contrary. As he develops and WD gets more comfortable and confident with him, you are seeing increased minutes, more critical faceoffs (sometimes just for a faceoff), PK and PP time in the last few games.

I'm getting his jersey. :blush::blush:

Bo Horvat is on pace for a 30 point season as a 19-year old. These numbers are even more impressive than Ryan Kesler's rookie season as a 21-year old. I think Bo's numbers will continue to rise each season. Maybe he can become an 80-point player within 4 years.

Kesler is a unique player though. Not everyone is gonna end up performing like he did. Some players have great years early on in their career and then their production drops off. Hopefully that's not Bo.

If he turns out to be a player anywhere near Kesler's abilities I would deem him a very successful draft pick.

Bo Horvat is on pace for a 30 point season as a 19-year old. These numbers are even more impressive than Ryan Kesler's rookie season as a 21-year old. I think Bo's numbers will continue to rise each season. Maybe he can become an 80-point player within 4 years.

That's a big maybe. Even Kesler and Toews haven't ever hit 80 points in a season.

Not to say his offense won't continue to improve (I think it will), but that's asking a lot of any prospect, especially one that plays a two-way game like Horvat.

Some people still think of Bo as being our 4th line centre, who is playing exceptionally well for his first year.

But if you really think about it, who on the current roster is your second best centre [obviously Hank is #1]. It's not Shawn, it's not Vey, . . . . . Yes the second line centre right now is Bo. The only reason he isn't playing in Vey's spot is because Vey can't play in his. That would weaken the overall team. But on the basis of their play, Bo is clearly playing better and contributing more to the Canucks than the other two centres.

The only thing Gillis did right while in Vancouver was drafting Horvat. Still could have gotten more in the trade but picking the right player in Bo ( who will be one hell of a player ) makes it hurt less

oh give me a break, yes gillis made mistakes like every GM does benning will make some too. Gillis is/was not the antichrist he did a lot of good things for this organization. He also made some serious blunders like any gm who gets fired which is why he is no longer here.

back on topic, Bo just keeps earning his stripes and willie just keeps giving him a little bit more each game to see if he can handle and so far he hasnt looked out of place anywhere.

Our record when Bo scores a goal is currently 6-0-1:

1st Goal vs Anaheim: 4-3 SO Loss

2nd Goal vs San Jose: 3-1 Win

3rd Goal vs Florida: 2-1 Win

4th Goal vs Buffalo: 5-2 Win

5th Goal vs Pittsburgh: 5-0 Win

6th Goal vs Chicago: 5-4 OTW

7th Goal vs Minnesota: 3-2 Win

Good find. He is a spark plug for the team.

The only thing Gillis did right while in Vancouver was drafting Horvat. Still could have gotten more in the trade but picking the right player in Bo ( who will be one hell of a player ) makes it hurt less

9th overall is the highest draft pick ever received for a goalie straight across, no we couldn't have got more unless we traded Schneider in our division or maybe A nipple bit more in the west.

Schneider was still mostly unproven at that point too.

He doesn't scream multiple 70 point seasons to me.

I've always had the same expectations. 50 point second line center. His newfound confidence on offense is a welcome addition, but he needs to continue to grow in a bottom six role. I didn't expect this offense, none of us did.

I was expecting him to pace at 15+ points per 82 games, and he's doubling that pace.

He's also playing with the right players. Hansen, Dorsett, and Kenins are all torpedos who go hard on the forecheck.

And yes, while the overhyping is natural @ cube, he's doing it at a faster rate than Hodgson did, and he's a completely different player.

Archived