The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (May 4)

Gstank29

Benning has to be one of the most clueless people I've ever listened to. The Sbisa stuff, the crowd stuff. He's truly lost, not sure how be ever became a GM of a NHL hockey team.

This is a bit tough, but I am beginning to have my doubts about Benning as GM. Love him as head scout but he might be in over his head in some areas (like contract negotiations).

And, while I was negative about Gillis by the time he left, he did at least sound intelligent. Benning does sometimes sound kind of clueless.

Subban to the rescue! lul

If an opposing crowd affects your veteran team, then it's probably time to make it a non-veteran team.

Anyone notice that Benning is just saying what Torts already said? Hopefully he does it this time instead of bringing in more 35yr olds.

I cringe every time you say lul

The big notes I took from this is

1) Looks like O'Connor is ours

2) Virtanen/Gaunce could make our bottom six ( with Baertschi in top 6 )

3) YOUTH YOUTH YOUTH

I like the sound of all of those

I like what I heard. Bit baffled as to why Subban's taking forever to sign. Maybe he's asking for too much? Basically said one of Bieksa or Hamhuis will be gone when their contracts expire, hence Sbisa's contract. Either Matthias or one of the vets is leaving too. Could be a pretty interesting off season.

I hope we can hold on to Matthias for another year or two. He's still young, got great size that is unmatched on this team and potted 18 goals as a 4th line center. Not many 3rd line centers score 18 goals, let alone 4th line centers playing 10 minutes a night. One of the biggest reason we had such great depth was because of Matthias' streaky scoring.

Hopefully we can hold on to him for 1 or 2 more years at 2M per.

The only knock on him is that he didn't really use his body consistently, and was shredded defensively. Of course if we let Richardson AND Matthias walk, who is there to fill that 4th line center spot?

Gaunce has been playing the wing pretty much all season so if he's to become a Canuck next season, I'd hope he slowly transitions into the center spot by playing on the wing first.

Linden Vey is alright but was bullied around, and far too small to be a checking line center.

Benning and Linden have said it themselves that they don't want Cassels or McCann thrown into the NHL, but to play in the AHL first, so they're definately not candidates for the 4th center spot.

JB needs to realize how important Matthias was to this team's bottom-6, and that he has to be re-signed. Dorsett is a kind of player who could have easily been replaced by a kid on the wing and the sort of veteran we need to get rid of (good toughness but shocking defensive stats, one of the worst Corsi's on the team), but good luck replacing Richardson and Matthias at center.

If he's worried about cap, get rid of Higgins and/or Bieksa. I'll admit Burrows is a good veteran to have around the kids growing into the NHL, but as great as Higgins and Bieksa have been at times, they're expendable now.

how old are you 11 ? do you really think mattias who scored 18 goals will sign a 2 yr deal for 2 mill per seriously try 3.75-4.25 thats the market also how much time did mattias play center all yr maybe 5-8 games hes more a winger who has size but under utilizes it especially in playoffs. as for richardson we need a fourth line center than can win a face-off brads expendable

I hope we can hold on to Matthias for another year or two. He's still young, got great size that is unmatched on this team and potted 18 goals as a 4th line center. Not many 3rd line centers score 18 goals, let alone 4th line centers playing 10 minutes a night. One of the biggest reason we had such great depth was because of Matthias' streaky scoring.

Do you even watch the games? Vey played fourth line center far more than Matthias who played the bulk of the year on left wing. And there's no chance in hell he signs for 2m. You're as far off base on salary as you are on the position he played.

Do you even watch the games? Vey played fourth line center far more than Matthias who played the bulk of the year on left wing. And there's no chance in hell he signs for 2m. You're as far off base on salary as you are on the position he played.

Not to mention he played a lot more than 10 minutes a night more like 13-13.5

Did Benning pretty much confirm that Hamhuis and Bieksa are as good as gone next year? Seems like he did.

Better shore up that D.

I didn't get the vibe that he said they were gone....He was basically explaining the reasons for signing Sbisa to term..they need a physical presence etc...but you never know.

Archived