Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (May 4)

Gstank29

My showerthought for the day:

Year Before:

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Dan becomes 'Over the hill' at age 30

Last year:

Bieksa - Edler : Edler's worst ever season as a defenceman.

This year:

Bieksa - Hamhuis (to start the year): Hamhuis is reeaallly old.

and

Bieksa - Sbisa : Sbisa's Pizzas.

Perhaps there's a trend here.

Finally someone said it.

I treated you cordially and gave you another shot, yet you persist with personal attacks. Once again, I will not be responding to anymore of your posts/comments. Your critiques should be concerning the issues/argument, not about the authors which you presume to know.

Oh, you 'gave me another shot' - that's big and rich of you - thanks for that.

I couldn't care less whether you respond tbh. I'll criticize your arrogant "attacks" on Benning and/or Linden regardless.

Your responses are pointless anyhow, and even weaker than your original "attack" - I can see why you'd give up on them.

Nice to see Utica move on to the second round, knocking off St Louis' AHL affiliate in Chicago and outplaying them by a sound margin.

Baertschi played a big role, with 5 points in 3 games in that series - immediate dividends on that deal, whether people focusing on the Canucks level of this franchise realize it or not.

Clendening with a pair of goals in that series.

Will be interesting to see what youth emerge from their young group - between Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Jensen....McCann, Cassels, Virtanen - they certainly have some guys with legit shots to have solid NHL careers. Likewise on the blueline with Corrado, Clendening, Pedan.....Tryamkin, Subban, Cederholm, Hutton, (Sautner, McNally). Markstrom....Demko.

Also pretty excited about a few possible pmds that could be available when they draft this year....

18 is a popular number. I think I have heard that Matthias scored 18 goals this year almost as much as I heard that Sam Bennett is only 18 years old. But he only had 9 assists, giving him 27 pts. in total. In 5-on-5 points per 60 minutes he was second worst among the fowards on the team after Linden Vey. And it is not like he did much on the PP either. And he is not particularly good on the PK.

He is not good in the face-off circle, is not strong defensively and, despite his size, does not play a physical game. But because he scored 18 goals (which will certainly be a career high for him) he will for sure be overpaid this year. I am just hoping it won't be the Canucks who are overpaying him.

I think you are right.

When you look at the Canucks depth chart and the players that are already signed, I think both Richardson and Matthias are unlikely to be on the roster next year. Out of the two I would rather see Richardson signed to solidify that 4th line but Matthias is a different story.

Although he scored 18 goals like you've said, it hasn't been much else that he has been doing well that can't be replaced by someone on a lower cap hit. I'm not talking about having Virtanen making the team because I don't think he is ready like Bo was at the beginning of the year and there are a lot of elements of his game that needs to be rounded out before he can be an effective NHL player.

Alex Grenier is a player that a lot of people on CDC forget about and he has quietly become on of the best players on the Comets. I hope the Canucks give him an opportunity next year to show what he can do at the NHL level. I also expect Shinkaruk to get his full 9 games of action to start the year and most likely be sent down to Utica after.

With not moving Higgins, I only see one option out of NTC group trade wise and that would be Kevin Bieksa. Despite him being such a loyal and invested member of this team, it just feels like it is time for the organization and him to move on for the better good of both parties.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Dorsett - Richardson - Hansen

Kassian, Vrbata, Hansen and Burrows can be moved up and down the line-up but I don't think the Canucks are going to be very busy during the FA period atleast in terms of forwards.

And how did we do against Boston? And next year against la? Definitely not overrated, especially in the playoffs.

I'll give you Boston, but LA didn't beat us with toughness. They won because Quick played out of his mind, and also because our scoring had evaporated going into the playoffs with Daniel being concussed.

People already turning on Benning. Big surprise on this site.

This season was a success. If you expected Benning to flip this team into a contender in one year you are dreaming. All I ask is that we make some smart trades, drafts, and signings leading up to the next season and improve the team again. If that happens, I'm happy.

I know...It doesn't take long for the vultures to start circling...

He accomplished everything he set out to do at the beginning of the year..roll four lines and make the playoffs.

This is all regurgitation. Same interview from the beginning. What is said and what happens are often total opposite. They can't tell the media sweet ( blank ) all , so we will see what happens when it happens.

Benning tends to tell a little more then the average GM , but nothing said had been breaking news and I doubt much worth talking about ( aside from signings) will be Done or said for a month or so

Sbisa, SMH.

Pumped for Virt and Gaunce. One of them will make the squad next year. I think WD would choose Gaunce. While Benning would push for Virt.

I personally hope they both make it. Matthias and possibly Hansen out. Keep Higgins and retain Richardson.

Sbisa, SMH.

Pumped for Virt and Gaunce. One of them will make the squad next year. I think WD would choose Gaunce. While Benning would push for Virt.

I personally hope they both make it. Matthias and possibly Hansen out. Keep Higgins and retain Richardson.

Baertschi or Shink need to be given the chance for the 2nd line left winger spot. Higgins is not a 2nd line winger. Trade him for a pick or buy him out.

I actually bumped into JB on the Hastings bus last night... He said that interview was a smoke screen and Canucks fans get ready because, and I'm quoting here, next year the Canucks will add speed, strength, scoring and defence and all through 3 great pickups and 2 amazing trades.

I tried to get the details but he urinated in his pants and sexually harassed the woman sitting next us.

Might not have been him come to think about it, but I'm still hopeful.

Really??? That's crazy I can't wait for next year that sounds pretty exciting. If he can do that I will be so stoked!! I still have faith in the guy!

Benning on Sbisa.

Sbisa brings physical play and he can skate. Benning keeps saying this which is why I figure he thinks it's important. And my point is that this is the same reason why Bieksa won't be traded.

Reading between the lines, Hamhuis and Bieksa will be back because Sbisa was signed for term because Benning wanted to remove the uncertainty of having to scramble for players next year when Bieksa and Hamhuis become UFA's.

In an ideal world, there should be one physical defenseman per pair, and one puck mover imo.

NTC's

If asking a player to waive his NTC is possible and it's not Bieksa or Hamhuis, then it's Higgins (or less likely, Hansen).

Not resigning Matthias and moving Higgins, without doing the math, I think gets the payroll under the cap.

Baertschi or Shink need to be given the chance for the 2nd line left winger spot. Higgins is not a 2nd line winger. Trade him for a pick or buy him out.

Oh I fully agree that Higgins is no 2nd liner. He's a good vet though.

As for the second line, I dunno about Sven or Shink. We need some bite. It's just a logjam we need to unload a few guys for some picks.

Hunter has truly risen to the top lately (haven't seen him play) but its very encouraging seeing him pile up goals.

Lots to think about, I'm pretty overwhelmed.

I just have this feeling that Bennings acquisitions will stay while Gillis' men will go, which as of now I think is a bad idea, especially if its just an attempt to save face.

Archived