The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 hours ago, FaninMex said:

If he does not sign by training camp, he can sit out the year. All the RFAs can for all I care.

As for us we do not need the Nylander fiasco here.

That would be a horrible scenario if it came to that.  Bad for the team; losing the #1 scoring W will lessen the chances of playoffs and extremely bad for Brock's development.  It would also create negative tension between Brock, team management, teammates (maybe) and definitely the fans.  I don't see either party letting this happen.

There's very little information that concurs with the idea that Brock is holding out for a big payday and/or short term.  I think it's more a matter of fitting the $ and term into a limited salary cap.  The recent Luongo recapture penalty has really screwed things up, which means management will have to unload some players and put Roussel on IR.  It's not likely (or even possible) for management to straighten this up before training camp or 1st game day.

They can buy some time by sending Schaller to Utica and putting Roussel on IR (at the beginning of the season), but a player will need to be traded before Roussel returns.  A risky juggling act that no GM wants to be in. 

It's a complicated situation that requires some patience and faith that Brock is the same wonderful young man everyone though he was, just a month ago.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be a horrible scenario if it came to that.  Bad for the team; losing the #1 scoring W will lessen the chances of playoffs and extremely bad for Brock's development.  It would also create negative tension between Brock, team management, teammates (maybe) and definitely the fans.  I don't see either party letting this happen.

There's very little information that concurs with the idea that Brock is holding out for a big payday and/or short term.  I think it's more a matter of fitting the $ and term into a limited salary cap.  The recent Luongo recapture penalty has really screwed things up, which means management will have to unload some players and put Roussel on IR.  It's not likely (or even possible) for management to straighten this up before training camp or 1st game day.

They can buy some time by sending Schaller to Utica and putting Roussel on IR (at the beginning of the season), but a player will need to be traded before Roussel returns.  A risky juggling act that no GM wants to be in. 

It's a complicated situation that requires some patience and faith that Brock is the same wonderful young man everyone though he was, just a month ago.

It has nothing to do with panic or money or anything else. It is a simple statement that I believe in. Look at what happened with Nylander. He was complete poop when he came in late. So, if Brock is not here, he should stay home with his family. No malice towards anyone. Lots of teams will be worse off by this idea then the Canucks.

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

It has nothing to do with panic or money or anything else. It is a simple statement that I believe in. Look at what happened with Nylander. He was complete poop when he came in late. So, if Brock is not here, he should stay home with his family. No malice towards anyone. Lots of teams will be worse off by this idea then the Canucks.

Many fans are turning on Brock due to this situation, I was not specifically referring to you.

Again, this is a complicated situation that we (as fans) have no idea of the inside workings.

I simply do not agree with the idea of 'sitting a young player out for a season' as it ends up being a terrible negative for both sides (as I explained).

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Many fans are turning on Brock due to this situation, I was not specifically referring to you.

Again, this is a complicated situation that we (as fans) have no idea of the inside workings.

I simply do not agree with the idea of 'sitting a young player out for a season' as it ends up being a terrible negative for both sides (as I explained).

There was a poll on SN 650 and 75% of people blame the Canucks and 25% Brock for not signing yet, so he is still has most fans support considering how passionate our fan base is.  

These numbers might change the closer we get to the season tho. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Don’t see many turning on Brock per say, but eventually we’re all going to have to bring up the elephant in the room; is Benning low-balling Boeser or is Boeser asking for too much. Given Benning’s signing history, I’m inclined to think the latter option is more probable. 

I’d like to think that Boeser’s keeping Horvat’s contract in mind and goes for something that’ll work for both parties. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There was a poll on SN 650 and 75% of people blame the Canucks and 25% Brock for not signing yet, so he is still has most fans support considering how passionate our fan base is.  

These numbers might change the closer we get to the season tho. 

I'm hard pressed to blame "Brock"...."Brock's agent".  The guy put in place to settle these matters.  I HATE that this is tainting how people feel about Brock.  I, too, almost got sucked into that vortex but pulled myself back out.  That picture of him sitting on his own in the  middle of whereversville while his teammates are here having a blast bonding at a golf tournament made me feel a bit sorry for him that he's alienated from the team right now.  Especially during a period in his life where there's so much happening (of much more significance).  I'm sure he hates that this isn't resolved yet.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Don’t see many turning on Brock per say, but eventually we’re all going to have to bring up the elephant in the room; is Benning low-balling Boeser or is Boeser asking for too much.

Depends whose perspective you're seeing it from - and there's the problem right there.

They BOTH have to go to bat to try and sign "the best" deal - one on behalf of the team, the other, for his client/the player.

It's that cat and mouse game where you have to meet in the middle.  Who gets to decide where that is?  Someone has to give here.  One side can look at comparables in terms of other players' contracts...the other has to consider cap hit and the signing of players down the road.  So they both have valid reasons to take a stand but, unfortunately, it won't get done that way and something's got to give.

I think they try to inch there but it's going to require some leaps at some point as the clock ticks down.  The team has to face forward and hit go soon ... be sad if Brock's left behind in this because I think it will hurt him.  He's missed time already that will impact his numbers and, possibly, his performance and game fitness.  It's one thing to practice...it's another to play night in and out in the NHL.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm hard pressed to blame "Brock"...."Brock's agent".  The guy put in place to settle these matters.  I HATE that this is tainting how people feel about Brock.  I, too, almost got sucked into that vortex but pulled myself back out.  That picture of him sitting on his own in the  middle of whereversville while his teammates are here having a blast bonding at a golf tournament made me feel a bit sorry for him that he's alienated from the team right now.  Especially during a period in his life where there's so much happening (of much more significance).  I'm sure he hates that this isn't resolved yet.  

At some point they just have to split the difference and meet in the middle, im sure the salary cap is complicating things. Hopefully his agent isn't waiting for the Marner ball to drop. I think It gets done on the 14th or 15th.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't know contracts and the CBA but wouldn't be beneficial for both sides at this point to just sign a 1 year deal and work on a longer term deal throughout the year? 

thats actually not a bad idea. Do a 6.5 mil 1 year deal now, then take the rest of the year to work out a 6 or 7 year deal since a lot more cap space will be open, and likely at least one more ELC on the team. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats actually not a bad idea. Do a 6.5 mil 1 year deal now, then take the rest of the year to work out a 6 or 7 year deal since a lot more cap space will be open, and likely at least one more ELC on the team. 

Vancouver won't do that, ever... More like 4.5-5Mx1 His qualifying offer would be insane for the next season at 6.5M. What if he scores 40+ with 30+ assists? You're looking at 9Mx8Y and Horvat going "Wtf mate"

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1