The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

32 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Oh for sure. But of all the Canadian defenseman chosen in the third round not many even get a sniff at the world jr team. He's headed in the right direction from what i can see. Thats the second step to becoming a top 4 defenseman. Now we wait to see if he can continuously improve his all around game. 

Also where do you see posters slotting him in any top 4?

Poster lavish praise when it's not due. He's a kid playing on a crummy team in not the best CHL junior  league. With the trade will come opportunity but there's another side to that coin he could be shown to be average or less. Just like every other fan of the Canucks I'd like to think this kid will blossom but heck lets not be impatient and mistake dreams for reality. The post have implied expecations

Edited by Fred65

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Poster lavish praise when it's not due. He's a kid playing on a crummy team in not the best CHL junior  league. With the trade will come opportunity but there's another side to that coin he could be shown to be average or less. Just like every other fan of the Canucks I'd like to think this kid will blossom but heck lets not be impatient and mistake dreams for reality. The post have implied expecations

With prospects though, don't we focus on their ceiling?  Guys get drafted high (usually) because of their ceiling being higher.  Now whether these prospects reach their ceilings is to be determined.  With Brisbois being a 3rd rounder, his projected ceiling would be lower than those D drafted higher, no?  So for him to be chosen for the WJC summer camp is a sign he's now pushing his ceiling higher than from his draft position.  This is a very good thing.  The kid could very well become a top four or even a top pair minute munching D-man.  His ceiling of potential keeps rising.  IMHAO, of course.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I still don't see any unreal expectations. At least not often enough to warrant you stomping around here with your nose in the air. God forbid someone likes a Canuck prospect.

I definitely understand where you're coming from though. Positivity is definitely the last thing we need in this fan base.  Keep up the good work Chief of parade raining.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 2

@AlflivesI think that it's great that Brisebois is a fast late riser, but let's remember that although some late risers do go on to surprise in a good way, some risers just reach what their potential was in the first place and I think that would be really great as well. I would be quite happy if he just became a really steady 2nd pairing guy. Like a Marc-Edouard Vlasic-lite. 

Edited by suitup

8 minutes ago, suitup said:

@AlflivesI think that it's great that Brisebois is a fast late riser, but let's remember that although some late risers do go on to surprise in a good way, some risers just reach what their potential was in the first place and I think that would be really great as well. I would be quite happy if he just became a really steady 2nd pairing guy. Like a Marc-Edouard Vlasic-lite. 

If he reaches Vlasic's level that would be huge.  Maybe he was one of those late to physically mature, and is now catching up and passing other guys?

He's been involved with Team Canada even prior to his draft year, so it's not too surprising they circled back to him to have another look.  Good for him being a 3rd rounder and all but his draft position means very little especially considering he's been on the international stage before.  Also, Benning liked him enough to say he would use a 2nd rounder to pick him FWIW. 

First I don't have my nose in the air :rolleyes:

But frankly I rest my case, there's comparisons to Vlasic ...Vlasic a top 2 D on the SC team. Man the kids 19 and just like Corrado was before him  invited ....invited to attend a camp.  If you follow the bread crumbs many   ... many youngster that attend the U18 tourney are called on for the WJC. There's a lot of politics in selection to the WJC camp. Lets have this conversation a couple of years from now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he reaches Vlasic's level that would be huge.  Maybe he was one of those late to physically mature, and is now catching up and passing other guys?

Definitely for sure. Late physical maturity is sometimes a huge reason for late picks to surprise. Jamie Benn was scrawny, weak, and slow believe it or not. In fact, he wasn't even fully committed to hockey (contemplated baseball) but when he grew into his frame and focused on hockey... well you know the rest. 

Point is, you're definitely right in that once players fill out, they can really turn out to be anything. Which is why I'm waiting to see what we've got in Zhukenov. 

But also that some simply hit their expectations and that would make me happy already. Like if Gaunce potted 30pts. lined up on the 3rd line, I'd be happy with that too. 

I suppose some bust out too (Vey? Corrado?), but it only goes to show you that with late round risers, set standards low to medium so you don't expect much but not to the point of bashing the prospect for not reaching unrealistic expectations either. Some posters on here sometimes get too hyped (been guilty before) and sometimes too critical. 

I'm just glad he's got the opportunity to represent Team Canada. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

With prospects though, don't we focus on their ceiling?  Guys get drafted high (usually) because of their ceiling being higher.  Now whether these prospects reach their ceilings is to be determined.  With Brisbois being a 3rd rounder, his projected ceiling would be lower than those D drafted higher, no?  So for him to be chosen for the WJC summer camp is a sign he's now pushing his ceiling higher than from his draft position.  This is a very good thing.  The kid could very well become a top four or even a top pair minute munching D-man.  His ceiling of potential keeps rising.  IMHAO, of course.

No. There are plenty of later round picks that have high ceilings, but the reason that they slide down the rankings is they don't have the floor. The players that go early have a better chance to make it based on the assumption that they are good enough to play in the NHL and may reach their ceiling. The later round picks are given less of a chance to make the NHL at all in their hockey career, but may still reach their ceiling and outperform players that were taken ahead of them.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Brisebois is currently playing in the World Junior Showcase against Sweden. It's almost the end of the second and he's the 7th defensman so his ice time is limited; However, he just had a long shift in the Ozone and did an excellent job on the cycle.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Brisebois is currently playing in the World Junior Showcase against Sweden. It's almost the end of the second and he's the 7th defensman so his ice time is limited; However, he just had a long shift in the Ozone and did an excellent job on the cycle.

And the guys ahead of him are getting ass kicked, so maybe he gets promoted to more minutes?  

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And the guys ahead of him are getting ass kicked, so maybe he gets promoted to more minutes?  

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. They didn't really give him a chance until the final minute when they were down 5-1. I didn't catch the first half of the game, but the few times I saw him on the ice, he played well. Protected the puck well, made some good heads up passes. There was one mistake in the final minute in his own zone, but all in all, I feel like he got a bit of a raw deal when it comes to ice time.

Maybe he played more in the early game and struggled, but I can`t seem to find a box score anywhere so I don`t know if he was on the ice for any of the goals against or not.

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Brisebois looked good in the World junior game today, mobile, large and positioning was great.

Also made some good passes out of the zone.

Yep, I thought he had an excellent game. Canada's goaltending was awful though. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...