The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The right elements for a Cup winning team

Slegr

Jim Elmer Benning has a great opportunity with the rebuild of the Canucks. He could take several approaches to it.

For instance, Mike Gillis’ philosophy seemed largely focused on players’ personality. Core players generally needed to be nice guys. Gentleman. Lady byng type role models. People who give back to their community. Consequently, he appeared to stay away from entire cultures, like Russians, while opening the door to others, like Swedes.

Pat Quinn, meanwhile, showed a successful habit of bringing aboard BC players who were proud to play for their home province.

Some teams like the Bruins have capitalized on hard-edge type players and goonery.

To me, Gills’ philosophy of ensuring the team has good personalities isn’t a priority. I care about a hockey team that wins. And not just win in the regular season. I care about a team that goes all the way, and puts in a plethora of passion in the post-season.

Besides, it doesn’t really matter what type of personalities we have, the media will always peg the Canucks as the villains. One of the key messages broadcast by media in the 2011 playoffs was that the Canucks were the bad guys, to be vilified and degraded between periods. They even ripped into the Sedins for being too soft.

A team doesn’t need a bunch of ‘nice guys’. Look at Patrick Kane. He’s an egotistical mess who beats up on cabbies. But he knows how to win, and how to step it up when the game is on the line.

In some ways, I wonder if the Canucks organization let go of Kassian for the wrong reasons. Although the messaging was that he was too inconsistent, he was also a guy who didn’t explicitly follow the rules of coaches and management. He was a little more unpredictable and harder to contain. But Zack Kassian still has an X-factor with his natural talents, and a desire to win. Management might have taken the easy route in shipping him out rather than dealing with him and helping him reach his potential.

If I was rebuilding the team, I would take some of the fancy corsi stats with a grain of salt, and consider a few key measures in players. I’d measure a player’s desire to win (measure their playoff production) and player’s ability to win the Cup (how many Cup winning teams have they been on). If they’re new to the NHL, or young enough to just not have been in the post-season yet, I’d look at the same stats in their junior hockey. The stats that show their worth and role in post-season should be front and centre, in my mind.

Why type of approach would you take? And what elements would you consider key in developing a winning team?

Why type of approach would you take? And what elements would you consider key in developing a winning team?

Draft well

Don't rush players, but do have 18-22 year olds

Don't sign too many bad contracts

Have a couple elite scorers

Acquire some grit

Have a former trophy-winning goaltender and a potential elite G as his backup

Player development and lessen the long term big money contracts.

Big money should be less term.

Current team has an age gap between 24 to 28 year olds...they got rid of and simply let walk the players who would have been in this age gap.

Very poor age structure of this current team.

Too old and too young, if the teenagers can make the team.

I agree with pedigree of winning at all levels because this usually means the player has been well coached.

Believe it or not...successful hockey is played the same at all levels from Bantams to the Professional leagues.

What helps is having the tools in the tool kit in order to get the job done.

You need

to roll 4 lines

#1 C

Solid #2 C

#1 D

#1 goalie

Healthy lineup

Depth scoring and grit

Play as a unit

We were so close in 2011 we had it all but the injury bug and one bad game cost us. The Sedins not showing up really surprised me they were the games best back then

In some ways, I wonder if the Canucks organization let go of Kassian for the wrong reasons. Although the messaging was that he was too inconsistent, he was also a guy who didn’t explicitly follow the rules of coaches and management. He was a little more unpredictable and harder to contain. But Zack Kassian still has an X-factor with his natural talents, and a desire to win. Management might have taken the easy route in shipping him out rather than dealing with him and helping him reach his potential.

I never saw Zack play with grit, or with that much passion...and that's why they let him go. He didn't show up every night. He had 3-4 years to show his worth, but didn't. (He himself stated that he "could have done more", but obviously didn't) It was a good thing to get rid of him since the media circus around him affected the team. Just let him be now, send him good luck wishes, and move on.

Draft a decent core of two centers, two wingers, two top defencemen and a goalie. Groom and develop them the right way which we've done so far.

Next acquire some great complementary players - two top scoring wingers, 3rd line center, two top-4 defencemen, through trades/UFA etc.

The rest of the guys can be former late round draft picks or come from wherever, they're not as integral. Character, role players, but not hard to find.

The key out of all of that is the core. We have the makings of the two great centers (Horvat, McCann, Cassels) and wingers (Baertschi, Virtanen), but not the defencemen. Our goalies are about as good as they get in the NHL (Markstrom and Demko)

Simply all we need is 2 star defencemen. Edler, Tanev, Corrado, Clendening and Sbisa are all great tertiary defencemen, but don't stack up well against the Keiths, Seabrooks, Doughtys, Hamiltons, Giordanos and Charas of the world. We have never drafted star defencemen, never acquired stud young defencemen and until we do, we'll never have that complete core.

Have players with different skill-sets on the team and line guys with these different skill-sets with each other.

Take for instance, the earlier days in the Sedin era, with Burr.
Danny was the sniper, Hank was the passer, Burr was the hustler/ grit/ garbage goal guy who knew how to get open in front. That was also why the team needed to bring in Vrbata, since Danny decided to go full play-maker.

On the back end there also needs to be a mix. High-flying puck-movers, guys with rocket slap shots, smart defenders, physical D, plus the all-rounders who can do everything decently. The right mix would've been guys who can skate out of trouble, with physical, safe D who can also contribute offensively. Say if Ehrhoff (puck-mover) and Garrison (safe guy with bomb point shot) were a pairing that would've been dangerous, or take Juice (skater with physicality) and Hammer (smart, primarily defensive D-man who can make plays) in their heyday when Juice put up 40 points and Hammer was the shutdown man.

In terms of prospects I think we have something good going on. There's two-way centers (Bo, Jared, Cole) with some offensive upside, sniping wingers (Hunter, Jensen, Brock), play-makers (Sven, Linden), potential power forwards (Jake, Grenier), and on the back end we have offensive D-men (Hutton, Jordan, Adam), two-way D-men (Frank) and gigantic D-men (Nikita, Andrey). In the right combos those guys should do well, and we have Thatcher hopefully manning the pipes for the future. Add some studs in terms of #1 D and we could be really good for the future.

Just look at the modern era and the successful teams in that time span. People keep talking about the Red Wings being the model franchise but I believe the Blackhawks have well and truly replaced them as the new dynasty. 3 Cups in 6 years in todays game is unbelievable, and this is how they've done it:

1) Developed a brilliant core. That core consisted of Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Crawford. Of those players, most were high Chicago draft picks within a short span of time (when the team was really tanking it)

2) Acquired the right complementary players. That includes Teurovainen, Bickell, Shaw, Richards, Saad, Hjarlmasson, Timonen and Oduya. Again, most of those are high or even later Chicago draft picks, but others were acquired through trades as fill-ins or signings.

3) Replace organizational holes via trades. In particular, the moves that brought in Richards, Oduya and Hossa were key in creating Cup-winning teams. The Blackhawks needed a 2nd line center last season, they go out and nab a former Conne Smythe winner in Richards. Before that, they lacked firepower up front and needed some playoff experience so they bring in Hossa. Bowman is the best GM in the NHL and has been over the last half-decade because of moves like this that fix the team instantly.

4) Moving forward, trading away high-cap players just after they've used their prime in Chicago for valuable pieces that can help in the future. The most recent Saad trade is a prime example of this, where they get back a 40 point defenceman in return to replace Oduya. More importantly, the Blackhawks have youth (Teurovainen etc.) who can fill in for the traded away talent.

If you want to win a Cup in today's NHL, you follow these steps. Acquire a bunch of draft picks for a couple of seasons, build a core around those players (ideally 2 centers, 2 wingers, 2 defencemen and a goaltender of elite caliber), bring in complementary players through later draft picks/trades/UFA signings and then mould the team after that.

a successful line to me looks like a gradin, smyl and fraser...all elements of a winning line ....a tiger williams type who will do what ever it takes to win....calgary's great defensive pair, al macinnis and paul reinhart...all elements needed to protect their end and get involved in the offense...i think benning is trying to put together a winning team.

Archived