The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre-Luc Dubois Vs Matthew Tkachuk

If we hold the 4th overall pick...  

215 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Here are some stats. I put Nylander in because he is the only other forward the Canucks might draft.

GP Points PPG   SHG  EvenG Shots SPG Sh %
Tkachuk 65 125 1.92 1 26 230 3.5 17.00%
Dubois 69 107 1.55 3 32 263 3.8 17.90%
Nylander 63 87 1.38 1 24 202 3.2 16.80%

Position Shoots Age Height Weight      
Tkachuk LW L 11-Dec    6'1" 195      
Dubois LW L 24-Jun      6'3" 202      
Nylander LW/RW R 02-Mar    6'0" 172      

Two points that are a knock against Tkachuk in favour of Dubois. 

1. Quality of Teammates: Tkachuk has got to play with either Matthews or Marner & Dvorak over the last two years. Playing with players of that caliber are going to make any player look better - from the eye test to his stats. Yes, Dubois plays with Svechnikov who is good in his own right, but not as good as the guys Tkachuk has played with. 

2. Age: This is a well established and powerful contextualizer of draft eligible player stats and performance. Tkachuk is over 6 months older than Dubois. We all know that 6 months at age 17/18 can mean a lot for development. 

One point against Dubois and in Tkachuk's favour:

1. Quality of Competition: I would say that the OHL is a better league than the QMJHL. 

To further contextualize their roles on their respective teams:

Rank on team          Dubois           Tkachuk

Goals per Game:        2nd                 4th

Points per Game:        1st                 3rd

% of Team Goals:       15.4%           10.7%

Well, this is all assuming the Canucks aren't drafting top 3.

So first things first, Benning and Co. would be out of their minds if they don't draft a defenseman. So assuming they make the massive error in judgment and don't draft a defenseman, then this is the discussion we're having between the two.

If it's down to Tkachuk or Dubois, they should pick Dubois every day of the week. Not because Tkachuk won't be good, but more because the Canucks already have Horvat a two-way, strength forward. Preparing to for another skilled forward coming in should be the route they go. Again, this should be the route they go if drafting 4th and they decide to not draft Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev.

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I would be cautious too with Dubois....I see similarities with Kassian, Crouse, Ritchie, M.Foligno, where they are dominating junior because of there size, but when compared to men, they don't look as skilled.

I share your concern that some bigger guys dominate junior because of their size not their skill. However, I should point out that that point could be made against both Dubois and Tkachuk (yes Dubois is bigger but Tkachuk is very physical). I should also note that the examples you provided did not produce points close to the same rate that Dubois or Tkachuk have with only Ritchie coming somewhat close.

I prefer Tkachuk because he brings that physical element and agitating presence on top of scoring. I think when it comes to the playoffs Tkachuk will bring more of a presence.

He's also having a monster playoffs with London right now. 2nd in his team in scoring in the playoffs averaging over 2 points per game while Dubois is tied for 5th in the playoffs on his team when he led his team in scoring during the regular season.

Both are risky though.

That said I would chose a defender over either of these two. Only forward I would draft would be in the top 3.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I prefer Tkachuk because he brings that physical element and agitating presence on top of scoring. I think when it comes to the playoffs Tkachuk will bring more of a presence.

He's also having a monster playoffs with London right now. 2nd in his team in scoring in the playoffs averaging over 2 points per game while Dubois is tied for 5th in the playoffs on his team when he led his team in scoring during the regular season.

Both are risky though.

That said I would chose a defender over either of these two. Only forward I would draft would be in the top 3.

You don't think drafting a defender that high is risky?  

Looks like a lot of stat-watching in this thread. Pierre Luc Dubios is a much better option for the Canucks, going forward. He has #1 center upside and has played his best hockey since being moved to center ice, though he can play whatever position you ask of him. He's bigger, tougher, and plays a better 200 foot game than Tkachuk.

You can quote me on this, if you want, but I have a feeling the PLD will be the third best player to come out of this draft, after Matthews and Laine. Hell, with his package, he could be the best. He is a better driver of offense, compared to Tkachuk who is an amazing complimentary player. PLD is EXACTLY what we need. I haven't felt this strongly about a big, all-around center since Monahan.

I would be very happy with Tkachuk but part of the reason he is ranked so high is because of his pedigree and the thought that he is a very safe pick. He has maybe the highest floor of anyone in this draft, even Matthews. But PLD's ceiling is through the roof. He could be a homerun.

20 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Looks like a lot of stat-watching in this thread. Pierre Luc Dubios is a much better option for the Canucks, going forward. He has #1 center upside and has played his best hockey since being moved to center ice, though he can play whatever position you ask of him. He's bigger, tougher, and plays a better 200 foot game than Tkachuk.

You can quote me on this, if you want, but I have a feeling the PLD will be the third best player to come out of this draft, after Matthews and Laine. Hell, with his package, he could be the best. He is a better driver of offense, compared to Tkachuk who is an amazing complimentary player. PLD is EXACTLY what we need. I haven't felt this strongly about a big, all-around center since Monahan.

I would be very happy with Tkachuk but part of the reason he is ranked so high is because of his pedigree and the thought that he is a very safe pick. He has maybe the highest floor of anyone in this draft, even Matthews. But PLD's ceiling is through the roof. He could be a homerun.

Could we somehow get him and Segachev?  

1 hour ago, Kungfudru said:

You don't think drafting a defender that high is risky?  

No picking anybody is risky.

Tkachuk has played with really good teammates the last couple of years(Played with Matthews last season). I am not quite sold on Dubois personally.

Our need for a defenseman is much greater than our need for a forward.

Unless we draft top 3 then we should pick a defenseman. Sergachev, Chychrun and Juolevi all have top pair upside and if we fall out of the top 3 we are capable of choosing between any of them. My choice would be Chychrun.

On April 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM, nowhereman said:

I have a feeling that if the Canucks dont get in the top 3..Dubois will be who they will be targeting with their pick.

40 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

Dubois looks very enticing as a complete center and should be the pick at 5. For the canucks however, at 5, if the choice is between Tkachuk and Chychrun who do you pick?

Tkachuk likely won't be there......if he is, you don't even blink before walking up to the stage to pick him at #5.  Chycrun is fine around 8.

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

which would be a mistake, tkachuk is a superior player

Apparently,Benning was just in New Brunswick scouting Dubois...If we don't get the the top three,I hope that we don't fall any further than 5th..I would be happy with Dubois or Tkachuk.

As a sidenote..Bob McK and Craig Button both say that after the 4th pick,it's a real crapshoot over which is the best player available..they are all good...I just hope that Jim B doesn't go way off the board with his pick.

13 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Apparently,Benning was just in New Brunswick scouting Dubois...If we don't get the the top three,I hope that we don't fall any further than 5th..I would be happy with Dubois or Tkachuk.

As a sidenote..Bob McK and Craig Button both say that after the 4th pick,it's a real crapshoot over which is the best player available..they are all good...I just hope that Jim B doesn't go way off the board with his pick.

So, was Bob down with Tkachuk at 4th then?

Archived