The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Guy Boucher named Ottawa Senators head coach

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why the hell would we want Crawford as our head coach? He did fine in Switzerland. But his past few stints in the NHL were horrible. Our main problem is defence, AND scoring. I doubt Crawford could implement a defensive system that would improve things. 

Crow would help with the offence. 

24 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

I was really hoping for us to win the lottery so that we could draft matthews and hire crawford as our coach. 

Now that would have been something..

We'll go zero for two but things won't be as bad if Crow finds a landing spot, always have had a soft spot for him.

As far as Crow goes, I'm fine with listening to him on 1040 with Jake and Pratt once in awhile. He might get a Asst. job somewhere but I'd pass. Time for new blood to come into the game, he was an OK coach to begin with. Nothing worth re visiting. 

47 minutes ago, Toews said:

Boucher was coaching an offensively challenged Tampa team and was trying to squeeze as many wins as he could from that group. The 1-3-1 was done out of necessity.

Whenever I watch that tape of the Flyers "mocking" the 1-3-1, I always feel like Philly is making far more of a mockery of themselves.

Regardless of system, sending a forechecker in when two Ds have full puck control above the goal line is almost always a losing proposition. Doing so basically takes you off 5v5 and creates a 5v4 (since the pressuring forward is so easily negated and will quickly end up behind the play). Kudos to Boucher and Tampa Bay for not taking the bait. And worth noting that every stoppage led to an offensive zone faceoff, which yields a far higher scoring play percentage than blindly sending forecheckers against two Ds in full control of the puck and positioned at the circles.

The funny thing is, nearly every team uses the 1-3-1 at some point during games. Even the Flyers added it to their regular arsenal the season after that video (there's a vid out there that proves this very well).

And while most people associate the 1-3-1 with "boring" defensive-minded hockey, it can also be employed as a pretty aggressive and offensive minded system (when you have the right personnel) that creates a ton of turnovers and "quick strike" scoring plays in transition.

Also, if you have quick forwards that can read the play well, many coaches that use a version of a 1-3-1 also give their players the green light for a "hard forecheck" whenever there's a good "percentage" in attaching down low. They just require a disciplined, selective, and "smart" forecheck where guys don't waste effort on attacking defenses in full control of the puck (which often can end in an odd man rush the other way).

If the Canucks lose Gulutzan to the Flames, I could see Crawford being brought in as an assistant to Desjardins.

That or if the Canucks lose Travis Green to either the Ducks or Flames, I could see Crawford being brought in as Utica's head coach next year. Crawford has said that if he can't land an NHL job, that he'd accept an AHL head coaching job... all he wants is to coach in North America again.

Although, if we do lose Green to the Ducks, I sort of hope the Canucks either make Nolan Baumgartner the Head Coach of Utica (though, my gut says he'll follow Green to the Ducks if given the chance) or maybe see if they can hire a guy like Spencer Carbery (who is the head coach of the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays as Utica's coach). (Spencer, btw, is a 34 year old coach who has lead the Stingrays to the ECHL playoffs every year since getting into coaching at the age of 29, he's a John Hynes like coach in the making).

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

As well as some speculation Gulutzan could be being pursued by Calgary. I like Gulutzan though. 

But yeah, hopefully Green survives and is still with us.

Question is, if Gulutzan gets an HC job, should we promote Green as assistant coach? 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why the hell would we want Crawford as our head coach? He did fine in Switzerland. But his past few stints in the NHL were horrible. Our main problem is defence, AND scoring. I doubt Crawford could implement a defensive system that would improve things. 

I liked Crawford, felt he was very passionate and really tried hard. He did win a cup when he had Roy. So good goaltending could be the answer for him.

13 minutes ago, ButcherG said:

I liked Crawford, felt he was very passionate and really tried hard. He did win a cup when he had Roy. So good goaltending could be the answer for him.

Basically you just have an emotional connection to Crawford. Every coach at this level ahs lot of passion and he tries really hard.

Crow had a lot more than just a good goalie in COL. He had a team loaded with stars. 

Crawford isn't the answer, We need a guy like John Cooper. Now that's a great young coach who's doing great. Stands up to the  prima donnas like Stamkos and Drouin and has respect from all the rest of the boys.

Look what a young kid like Kucherov is doing in Tampa under Cooper. You won't hear his name much on CBC or TSN because he's a Russian kid but the guy is only 22 and has played like a superstar in 2 straight payoffs. Stamkos disappeared last year and he's hurt this year and the team hasn't' missed a beat. They are missing their 2nd best Dman to injury and their defensive play hasn't regressed at all. 

It's all fine and dandy that they hired Boucher but what does Babcock think about it? 

Remember the nauseating wall to wall coverage on TSN and Sportsnet when he was hired but only a tiny blurb with this hiring.........

That out of the way he should do well there and is a good coach.

13 minutes ago, ButcherG said:

For goalies to be effective you need to cut down the quality shots they get. Crawford isn't really known as a defensive systems coach. I like the guy, but I don't think he's the answer. 

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

As well as some speculation Gulutzan could be being pursued by Calgary. I like Gulutzan though. 

But yeah, hopefully Green survives and is still with us.

GulutZan is a horrible special teams coach and was average in Dallas: I'd rather keep green so they can have him 

Archived