The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

Biega's point-per-game keeps going up. Is he getting better or is it just luck of the draw?

2016-17: 36 games, 3 points, 0.08 points-per-game

2017-18: 44 games, 9 points, 0.20 points-per-game

2018-19:16 games, 5 points, 0.31 points-per-game

It's not like he's young anymore at 30 years old, but perhaps we're seeing Biega in his prime right now. His current rate projects out to 26 points over a full season, which close to what Stecher and Hutton produce.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Love this guy's effort and professionalism. Never fails to bring it no matter how sparingly he's used.

Loved the guy since he was signed. That said he is a #7 and the Canucks have to bring young prospects onto the roster. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

Loved the guy since he was signed. That said he is a #7 and the Canucks have to bring young prospects onto the roster. 

Biega is great in his role.  He’s always ready to play, and it’s obvious he’s respected by his teammates for that.  Yes, we need to get our prospect D ice time too, but what message does that send to our players, when Biega (who works his butt off to play that extra guy role, and performs well when needed) continues to sit while the prospect gets to play?  I would like to see Pouliot sit, and that’s the spot our prospect D man gets.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Biega is great in his role.  He’s always ready to play, and it’s obvious he’s respected by his teammates for that.  Yes, we need to get our prospect D ice time too, but what message does that send to our players, when Biega (who works his butt off to play that extra guy role, and performs well when needed) continues to sit while the prospect gets to play?  I would like to see Pouliot sit, and that’s the spot our prospect D man gets.  

Sadly Alf the reality is that Biega's days are likely numbered. Totally agree that no one comes the bench with more effort and obvious commitment. They play Pouliot because they hope for a bolt of lighting that will restart his career. Another Virtanen or Hutton if you will. If that doesn't happen maybe they can throw him into a deal. Playing Biega doesn't help that happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Sadly Alf the reality is that Biega's days are likely numbered. Totally agree that no one comes the bench with more effort and obvious commitment. They play Pouliot because they hope for a bolt of lighting that will restart his career. Another Virtanen or Hutton if you will. If that doesn't happen maybe they can throw him into a deal. Playing Biega doesn't help that happen. 

They also play him because he's the only 'offensive D' we have on a team starving for production from the back end. It's the same reason Larsen got minutes here despite 'better' (but less offfensive) options.

It's a skill set they want on the team, playing minutes.

Thankfully Hughes should be arriving in short order and either push him to a more appropriate 7/8 D role, or entirely off the team.

Edited by aGENT

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Thankfully Hughes should be arriving in short order and either push him to a more appropriate 7/8 D role, or entirely off the team.

Now if JB can entice Erik Karlsson to sign as a free agent when free agency starts; Hughes signed and playing for the Canucks next year as well as Juolevi hopefully making the show later on the defense corps ; we will have a lot of the retooling of the back end completed.

12 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Now if JB can entice Erik Karlsson to sign as a free agent when free agency starts; Hughes signed and playing for the Canucks next year as well as Juolevi hopefully making the show later on the defense corps ; we will have a lot of the retooling of the back end completed.

I would LOVE for it to happen and I'm keeping hope alive until I see otherwise.... but it's likely something like 98% that he's re-signing in SJS -_-

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I would LOVE for it to happen and I'm keeping hope alive until I see otherwise.... but it's likely something like 98% that he's re-signing in SJS -_-

Maybe he wants to get away from the Trumpcountry and move to The fifth best quality of life town in the world according to mercer? One can hope! (might be worth a city discount on the contract aswell!) 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Thought I'd share this since I found it kind of funny to see how much he's changed. This is Biega as a 23-year old playing for the Rochester Americans.

c8282503367469083be0b48af48722fa.jpg

I remember rushing to watch one of those rare Utica TV broadcasts ( must have been playing the Marlies ! ) Had many young prospects that I wanted to get a look at. The two d-men on my 'list' were Andersson and Tommernes. They were good-ish, but Biega was way better. Was a little annoyed as I viewed Biega as an AHL only signing.

PS.......one other player was superb in that game.......Alex Friesen. Some make it, some don't !

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, smokes said:

Biega has been impressive this year. In just 25 games this season he is already having a career year. I hope they keep him in the line up.

If they do keep him playing, I hope he doesn't wear down, like he has any other time he plays more than 3 in a row.

maybe he has gotten over that, power down, part and can be a consistent d man. Hope so.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

If they do keep him playing, I hope he doesn't wear down, like he has any other time he plays more than 3 in a row.

maybe he has gotten over that, power down, part and can be a consistent d man. Hope so.

Yeah, historically he's faded by now. Happy for the guy he's been able to maintain it and not only that but had some pretty impressive offensive contribution as well. I don't know how much longer we've got until the wheels come off, but for now, it couldn't be happening to a nicer guy :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

A short list of some of the players that have a lower points-per-game than Biega this year:

Oliver Bjorkstrand

Mark Jankowski

Colin Wilson

Alex Goligoski

Danton Heinen

Brandon Montour

Anthony Cirelli

Oskar Lindblom

Hampus Lindholm

Alexander Wennberg

Vladislav Namestnikov

Jared McCann

Will Butcher

Sam Bennett

Derick Brassard

Brent Seabrook

Kevin Shattenkirk

Ryan Kesler

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love what Biega brings to this team but to be honest, where he's slotted in and his success really shows how poor this defence and thin it is. He would not crack most NHL lineups to be fair. Yes, he's racking up some nice points, but some of his defensive gaffs have cost this team points on the standings.

Ideally he should be an 8th defenceman for this team, we just need to bulk up our D.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I love what Biega brings to this team but to be honest, where he's slotted in and his success really shows how poor this defence and thin it is. He would not crack most NHL lineups to be fair. Yes, he's racking up some nice points, but some of his defensive gaffs have cost this team points on the standings.

Ideally he should be an 8th defenceman for this team, we just need to bulk up our D.

he is the 8th defenseman, playing because tanev is injured, gudbranson has been traded. on the right side there is only stecher is playing. biega and schenn are both 8th d-men. he was signed because he can sit in the stands and play when they need him. he is good at that.

• Cheers 1

On 2/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, gurn said:

Absolute Myth. Because of injuries they haven't been ABLE to sit him in favor of a failing, over-hyped "prospect" in pouliot. When guddy stayed in the line-up having horrible season production/numbers and doesn't even do what he was signed to do.Saving face on both projects maybe? Biega is fast, good puck control, great on the boards, hits, he can actually get his shot through to the keeper while keeping it completely tipable or playable for rebounds,can actually hit the net with more consistency than others. I just don't see why  he wasn' t offered these kinds of minutes in the past over a tired beatup mess they've been trying to play all year.Loving what sautner has brought and schenn is doing. Trade Tanev (always liked him)but need a guy who can play a full season.If Eddy wont sign a 2yr 5-6mil deal let him walk. These 2 guys are replaceable !!!!  Pouliot is gone.(pls) Lets drop all this sentimental crap and get this team moving forward.