The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

On 2017-11-13 at 6:27 PM, kanucks25 said:

I wouldn't lump Green in with Benning, because from what we've seen so far, I don't think Green views Gudbranson the same way some of you do or Benning might. Green is sheltering Gudbranson, as he is not matched up against the other team's best lines and his zone starts are only tougher than the three offensively-inclined young D-men on our roster (Stecher, Hutton and Pouliot).

I also don't know what "JD" means.

You are right in your assessment of Green's use of Guddy - very sheltered.

i think JD stands for Juvenile Delinquent? 

Just now, TheHitman said:

Gudbranson is a great player without the puck, but mediocre with the puck. Really needs to work on that part of his game. 

Totally agree.  He needs to get the puck off his stick as fast as possible.  He can do that by accepting he's limited with the puck.  That's how he can improve

Guby. Oh, Guby!

I want so much to like this player's game. But he is struggling to be average. 

Unfortunately it usually isn't good to watch a player's game under a microscope (like Bieksa some years, and Sbisa). But once I start doing it I have a hard time not focusing on all the little things in said player's game. Guby is not the player I want him to be. And that sucks. 

He is big. He can deal with bigger, slower players, like Lucic, on nights when that is needed. How important is that? Very. How much do you need to pay a guy to play that role? It depends what else he can do. What else can Guby do?

Come on, Gubester! Play some power hockey, lock down your defensive game, and truly become useful to your team.

Or...???

On 11/18/2017 at 3:05 AM, TheHitman said:

Gudbranson is a great player without the puck, but mediocre with the puck. Really needs to work on that part of his game. 

I agree with this. The funny thing is that Gudbranson is actually a pretty good skater and gets to pucks quick in the defensive zone, in other words, he turns quickly and skates on to the puck quick. But once he gets to the puck, he hesitates, meaning he does not know where to move the puck to. This gives the forechecker enough time to get in on him and turn the puck over.

He just has to make simple plays but I guess those simple options aren't available to him, which means he needs to learn to skate out of trouble, which he is not very good at. He can skate fast without the puck but he can't skate away from the forechecker with the puck. Maybe it's the stick that he uses? Like one of those long sticks that Willie Mitchell used to have?

If Guddy improves on what to do with the puck in the defensive zone, then I think he will be real Gud.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheRocket18 said:

Any vid of tonights injury? 2nd period 2:25 remaining...

CROM!

He looked a little awkward after pushing a PIT player in to the end boards. It looked innocuous enough of a play but seems pretty clear he tweaked something there (hopefully not his wrist).

Edit - Looks like this is it:

Edited by aGENT

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So apparently shoulder, not wrist. I suppose that's 'good' news...?

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is. Just looked like an awkward tweak on that hit, thats much better than a problem area post-surgery. 

Yes, it is good news that i) Guddy's injury is not a recurrence of his wrist problem and ii) minor.

I have been less enthusiastic about Guddy than a lot of people on CDC. It is not an accident that he has 0 pts in 21 games so far this year. But he does play a valuable role on the team. He has had fairly tough minutes ("2nd pairing" minutes) and has a positive plus/minus, and he logs a lot of PK time. Most importantly, however, he plays a physical game with size and strength. With all due respect to MDZ, for example, there is a big difference between absorbing a hit from MDZ and a hit from Gudbranson. So his presence provides a disincentive for opposing teams to take liberties with Canuck players. And he is particularly good at neutralizing opposing power forwards who try to use the intimidation game to succeed, like Lucic, for example.

More simply, every team needs a couple of tough guys who can play and they are not easy to find. There are lots of tough guys around and lots of guys with at least marginal NHL level skill around, but getting both at the same time is hard.

As others have said, Guddy is good without the puck. He is not so good with the puck -- certainly the weakest in the Canuck top 6 Ds -- but with Dorsett a big question mark and maybe gone for a while, the Canucks really need Gudbranson. When he went down I found myself looking through the Utica line-up to see who could come up and provide some muscle. It was not pretty. Maybe MacEwen, but he is really ready. Maybe Archie, but he is not having a great year in Utica. 

So if Guddy comes back soon, that is good news. That said, the Canucks should not rush him back. Better to get healthy than the aggravate the injury or be unable to play at something close to 100%.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Because only 6 guys play. Biega is obviously one of 2 in the press box, who's the other?

I'm not a fan of rotation, but it seems to be working for our goalies so far... half joking. Hutton and Pouliot are L3A and L3B, that'll be an interesting call for Baumer and Green. 

On 11/13/2017 at 6:27 PM, kanucks25 said:

I wouldn't lump Green in with Benning, because from what we've seen so far, I don't think Green views Gudbranson the same way some of you do or Benning might. Green is sheltering Gudbranson, as he is not matched up against the other team's best lines and his zone starts are only tougher than the three offensively-inclined young D-men on our roster (Stecher, Hutton and Pouliot).

I also don't know what "JD" means.

Sheltered?   He has played against most teams top pairing D and/or top wingers if you look at the stats.  Further, he is near top of the NHL for his team's save percentage at even strength when he is on the ice (something insane like 97%).   Further, he is something like 57% Dzone starts which is the same as Tanev.   Sheltered?   

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sheltered?   He has played against most teams top pairing D and/or top wingers if you look at the stats.  Further, he is near top of the NHL for his team's save percentage at even strength when he is on the ice (something insane like 97%).   Further, he is something like 57% Dzone starts which is the same as Tanev.   Sheltered?   

Yup! Sheltered minutes on the PK. I am surprised no one else has clued in? <_<

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If this team wants to compete for a playoff spot and run, they need to extend Guddy.