The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Credit to Gilis again for finding a solid D-man in the 5th round. He saw that our D was set for while on the big club so he went the patient route with guys like Hutton and McNally. Now we might get to benefit from that choice.

Still lots of development to go with him, but the first impression is definitely a good one.

• Upvote 2

Credit to Gilis again for finding a solid D-man in the 5th round. He saw that our D was set for while on the big club so he went the patient route with guys like Hutton and McNally. Now we might get to benefit from that choice.

Still lots of development to go with him, but the first impression is definitely a good one.

I've said before, Gillis had faults, but generally (other than a certain 2nd round pick), drafted pretty well and did a pretty reasonable job of finding free agents.

It was some of his other skills that were lacking.

I've said before, Gillis had faults, but generally (other than a certain 2nd round pick), drafted pretty well and did a pretty reasonable job of finding free agents.

His drafting wasn't utter trash but it certainly wasn't done "well" either. He did finish strong in his past 2 drafts though: Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels and Subban in particular.

Amateur signings of Eddie Lack and Chris Tanev (and perhaps Kenins) becoming this important to the team is impressive as well.

• Upvote 2

Hutton is going to be good. I wanted to see how he did in the pro game when I saw him in college because I wasn't sure how it would translate, but he was physical, skating great, making great decisions, shooting the puck well and playing well defensively. He had all the tools to become a NHL #1. I said earlier this year he reminds me of McDonagh, offensively he's clearly more talented than McDonagh at the same age (maybe even right now) but McDonagh is a pretty mean guy with aggressive, physical defence. I don't see the same snarl from Hutton but Hutton still plays with a good stick and his skating can shut players down.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in more games in the AHL. I think Hutton can be a top-pairing defenceman or even a #1 in the NHL, the pace of the game might hold him back but I don't think it will be too much for him because of his skating ability.

Edited by Plum

His drafting wasn't utter trash but it certainly wasn't done "well" either. He did finish strong in his past 2 drafts though: Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels and Subban in particular.

Amateur signings of Eddie Lack and Chris Tanev (and perhaps Kenins) becoming this important to the team is impressive as well.

Benning has done a good job of filling in the gaps that Gillis left.

Vey (2009) takes some of the sting off of losing Schroeder (2009). Hopefully we can sign O'Conner as well to fill in another gap from that year.

Baertschi (2011) is good insurance if Jensen (2011) doesn't pan out. Adding Clendening (2011) makes up for the loss of our second. And Pedan (2011) makes up for our bust third round pick that year in Honzik.

Sautner (2012 eligible) will hopefully make up for a somewhat average draft. Although Gaunce and Hutton still show quite a bit of promise.

Edited by DeNiro

Boy, Hutton looks like a big man out there. An amazing skater - he just blew by players - his stride and shot reminded me a lot of Paul Coffey - including the fact that he started from his left defensive position, crossed over through the middle of the ice, came in on his off wing and blew that shot past the goalie. This guy really has great offensive instincts:

Agree with this statement. There have been many detailed examinations of the Gillis draft record and up until the last draft (2013) it can only be described as poor. There are no Gillis draft picks currently on the Canucks except Horvat. That is big problem as the draft picks from 3 to 7 years ago should be major contributors to the core of the team by now. And JB has mentioned he needed to fill in that void.

Even the 2012 draft: Gaunce, Mallett, Hutton, Myron, and Beattie is not exactly inspiring. I like Gaunce and he might make the NHL as a bottom 6 player, but he might not. And Hutton is off to a nice start in this first NHL game. But that draft has not yielded much so far. Let's hope that Gaunce and Hutton do well.

His final draft (2013) has Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Cederholm and Liberati.

That is a good draft. My guess is that the 2013 draft year will yield more Canuck NHL player-games than the previous 5 years combined, which shows how bad those previous 5 years were.

It is early, but my guess is that Benning's 2014 draft will be even better than the 2013 draft, with Virtanen, McCann, Demko, and Tryamkin in the top spots. (And of course Forsling was traded for Clendening).

Agree with this statement. There have been many detailed examinations of the Gillis draft record and up until the last draft (2013) it can only be described as poor. There are no Gillis draft picks currently on the Canucks except Horvat. That is big problem as the draft picks from 3 to 7 years ago should be major contributors to the core of the team by now. And JB has mentioned he needed to fill in that void.

Even the 2012 draft: Gaunce, Mallett, Hutton, Myron, and Beattie is not exactly inspiring. I like Gaunce and he might make the NHL as a bottom 6 player, but he might not. And Hutton is off to a nice start in this first NHL game. But that draft has not yielded much so far. Let's hope that Gaunce and Hutton do well.

His final draft (2013) has Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Cederholm and Liberati.

That is a good draft. My guess is that the 2013 draft year will yield more Canuck NHL player-games than the previous 5 years combined, which shows how bad those previous 5 years were.

It is early, but my guess is that Benning's 2014 draft will be even better than the 2013 draft, with Virtanen, McCann, Demko, and Tryamkin in the top spots. (And of course Forsling was traded for Clendening).

If your post wasn't depressing enough, I will add to it...

Of all the players drafted under Gillis' watch, only 7 have ever played any games in the NHL (Nik Jensen - 24 GP; Frank Corrado - 28 GP; Jordan Schroeder - 77 GP, 56 with the Canucks; Kevin Connauton - 94 GP, none with the Canucks; Cody Hodgson - 284 GP, 71 with the Canucks; Yann Sauve - 8 GP; Bo Horvat - 63 GP and counting).

In a combined 578 GP at the NHL level, these players have scored 98 goals and have 117 assists. Pretty sad.

Hopefully Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Jensen, Corrado, Grenier, McNally and Hutton can make their mark in the NHL one day...if not, at the very least provide some organizational depth.

Like someone else has mentioned, thank goodness for UFA signings that have turned out well...Tanev is equivalent to a mid/late first rounder...Lack = late second rounder...Kenins = late second/early third rounder...Weber = late second/early third rounder...Stanton (a waiver pick up) = late second/early third rounder.

Here are all of Hutton's shifts from his professional debut.

*EDIT: He is #20 by the way. If the quality makes it hard to read the numbers just remember that he is the left defenseman.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0lkDSVFe4

I thought he had himself a heck of a debut (albeit against a terrible team). He was paired with Biega but lost some shifts to Ehrhardt early in the game. It seemed like by the end of the game he was getting regular shifts. No special teams time for Hutton but that shouldn't come as a surprise.

His skating and offensive instincts are obvious standouts but what I was most impressed with was his use of his stick. On numerous occasions he used his stick perfectly to poke check the puck from opposing forwards. He also knocked down a pass attempt at the redline to display great hand-eye coordination.

We should temper our expectations for his potential -- this was a game where one of the best teams in the league played against one of the worst -- but there is definite reason to be excited about this prospect. He has great size, skates extremely well, possesses those great offensive instincts, has great hands and utilizes his stick/reach to make defensive plays effectively.

Of course, I want to see him play against better competition but there's no denying that this was a fabulous pro-debut for him.

Edited by Canucks1219
  • Upvote 2

Interesting goal as he looked like a forward on the rush. Hard to just his pro future based on that though, since all the opponents seemed to be standing and watching, bewildered. Still, good to get that monkey off his back right away.

Also found it odd to see him playing the right boards on the power play, in particular, the Crosby spot, in so many college highlights. Is he actually a forward? (Actually, he's both. A forward who converted to defense.)

Curious to see what his game is like without the puck in his own end against decent competition, but for now he's an interesting pro prospect, if not a weird one.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

I'm just glad people are starting to see what I got to see every now and then when a Maine game came on TV. I've been high on this kid ever since that first game i saw him play in, and it looks like he's even bigger now than a couple years ago (though that may be because the rink size is smaller or the uniforms are different). he's definitely became an even better player over the years, but his potential just oozes out and is slowing being refined into pure gold... that's a disturbing visual... but you get the idea.

I'm just glad people are starting to see what I got to see every now and then when a Maine game came on TV. I've been high on this kid ever since that first game i saw him play in, and it looks like he's even bigger now than a couple years ago (though that may be because the rink size is smaller or the uniforms are different). he's definitely became an even better player over the years, but his potential just oozes out and is slowing being refined into pure gold... that's a disturbing visual... but you get the idea.

Frankly he looked just like he did a year and a half ago at the prospects tourney. Skating around like a man amongst boys, except now he is playing with men.

I don't know if the other team just wasn't taking him serious at that point but they looked bad on that goal.