The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, canuckistani said:

You have answered your own question. +/- is a great TEAM stat. 
It means NOTHING for an individual stat. you can be the best defender in the world and if your team is full of mediocre players playing a contender team, you will end up with a minus. and vice versa.

of course, it's not all about defense, always two sides of the puck...good defense wins...bad defense does not; but offense helps good defense. Good offense with bad defense isn't a good mix. Each player contributes to +,/-...it's an indicator of the overall play of the individual player, just an indicator, which isn't perfect because of all the variables.

My point is it's a good team stat as I said....can't ignore it.

• Upvote 1

My theory of why Juolevi wasn't called up: I believe the team has always had the plan that let Olli play in the AHL, play the big minutes for atleast 20 games before giving him a shot at the NHL. He got back from a back surgery and he needed to readjust to smaller ice surface before throwing him into the NHL. I think at around December, we will get to see Olli. And if Olli performs, Pouliot is on his way.

On 2018-10-24 at 9:57 PM, Top Sven Baercheese said:

If Edler or Tanev (or both) are out for next game, do you think we see an Olli Juolevi call up?

No.  He just not good enough in his own zone and does provide enough offence to offset his liabilities.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
  • Wat 1

On 2018-10-22 at 10:03 PM, canuckistani said:

You have answered your own question. +/- is a great TEAM stat. 
It means NOTHING for an individual stat. you can be the best defender in the world and if your team is full of mediocre players playing a contender team, you will end up with a minus. and vice versa.

Actually, it is a very revealing stat when your plus or minus is way out of scale with the rest of your teammates.  Then it says a lot about your play, particularly when a lot of your time is spent on the PP and not against the other team’s best players.  Juolevi is minus nine by far leading his team in minus.  Brisebois, by comparison, who plays tough minutes, is +3.  I’m not saying Juolevi doesn’t have promise.  Last year both Brisebois and McEwan had pretty big minuses - they were both talented ROOKIES.  Archibald and ,Carcone are both plus players on a team with a lot of minus players.  It is no accident that they are both vets who have learned how to defend.

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Actually, it is a very revealing stat when your plus or minus is way out of scale with the rest of your teammates.  Then it says a lot about your play, particularly when a lot of your time is spent on the PP and not against the other team’s best players.  Juolevi is minus nine by far leading his team in minus.  Brisebois, by comparison, who plays tough minutes, is +3.  I’m not saying Juolevi doesn’t have promise.  Last year both Brisebois and McEwan had pretty big minuses - they were both talented ROOKIES.  Archibald and ,Carcone are both plus players on a team with a lot of minus players.  It is no accident that they are both vets who have learned how to defend.

Err...PP does not get you a + even if your side scores...you realize this, yes ?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Err...PP does not get you a + even if your side scores...you realize this, yes ?

Yes, I realize that, but they are comparatively easy minutes where you should not be picking up minuses - especially not compared to playing minutes against the other team’s best line (Brisebois).  My point is that Juolevi is playing easier minutes than Brisebois and is -9 to Brisebois +3.  Too many people are calling for him to be called up, but he is neither ready nor deserving compared to Brisebois.

35 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

You are not watching the games and going by the most random stats meter there is. The best defenceman, by far, this year to play for Utica is Biega - a legit NHL-er depth defenceman. He is the defense version of Boucher -  fringe NHL-er who beats up on the AHL on a regular basis. 

And he is a -5 in 3 games. 

He isn't ready to be called up, but saying Brisebois is better due to a better +/- is literally laughable.

I watched all the Utica games.  +/- was not the only reason I gave for being the better player, the fact that you have to ignore that fact and choose to argue against a straw man is proof as to the weakness of your argument - the simple fact is that you have no data whatsoever to support your opinion.  If +/- is of no importance, what did guys like Orr, Lidstrom, Pronger, Dennis Potvin, have massive pluses over the course of their careers?  Watching the games shows clearly that Juolevi is weak defensively.  Ican’t help it if you are blinded by your fanboy wet dreams.

It's hard to get a read on how he's doing. On one hand, there are people who will pump his tires and blindly defend him no matter what because he's a Canucks' prospect. On the other there are people who seem to think he's been garbage so far. 

If he had a bad +/- it would be easy to write off, but having one of the worst in the league is a sign that something might be up. Despite that, he's been scoring at a good pace too. 

I don't really know what to make of it. It's likely somewhere in the middle. 

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It's hard to get a read on how he's doing. On one hand, there are people who will pump his tires and blindly defend him no matter what because he's a Canucks' prospect. On the other there are people who seem to think he's been garbage so far. 

If he had a bad +/- it would be easy to write off, but having one of the worst in the league is a sign that something might be up. Despite that, he's been scoring at a good pace too. 

I would suggest listening to the professionals like the GM and coach of the Comets, have heard a lot of positive things from them. Still agree he needs more time to develop, let him play 20+ minutes a night until after trade deadline/Christmas then give him a couple looks with the main squad.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Perhaps people should simply watch him play.   It isn't hard to get a feed (live or delayed) for every game.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1