The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Thing is, is that he's shown to adapt to that at every new level he's played. Same as last year in Finland. He started slowly there looking 'behind', 'not focused enough', 'not strong enough' etc and by the end of the years was arguably their best D.

I believe this is what they refer to as development ;)

How dare you sir! Players aren't allowed to take time to adjust to new levels and develop their games! They are either NHL'ers by their D+1 or they're busts!

Pretty sure this is what I've been saying he's been doing. I can't tell if you read my posts as negative or positive, but they surely have not been the former. 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

People crapping on players honing their skill in the AHL are basically crapping on about 90% of the players in the NHL and about 90% of the coaches too (who are also grads).

17-18openingnight-714x1024.jpg

Kind of curious how the AHL came up with this -- for example, the Lightning had 25 AHL grads on an opening night roster of 23?  Off the top of my head, Stamkos, Hedman and Point jumped straight to the NHL, there may be others.  But that makes their opening night roster at least 28 players...

And do players like Larkin count?  He played in the AHL for a few games after his college season ended, but went straight to the NHL after.  There are also CHL prospects who played games with the AHL after their junior seasons ended, but went straight to the NHL when they turned pro.  What about someone like Stecher, who played 4 games in the AHL (or Gaudette if he never returns)?  Is that a grad?  Seems a bit disingenuous to include them, I doubt Stecher would've turned out any differently had he just sat in the press box in the NHL for 4 games.

Anyways, not doubting that AHL is a development path that many take, the numbers just feel a bit goosed... which is a pet peeve of mine.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

^^I'd imagine they're including the coaches in those totals.

And probably counting any player with at least 1GP in the AHL (including conditioning stints and ATOs).

So yeah, probably "goosed" a little bit. But no denying the AHL plays a huge role in developing players nonetheless.

Ya kinda thinking it should be like minimum x amount of games. Hard to get an accurate number of true graduates, well not hard but would need to do research haha. 

I remember when Horvat went down to the Utica for that brief 5 game stint his rookie year and people were freaking out that he went pointless over that stretch. He also had that stretch in his sophomore year where he went forever without finding the back of the net and again some on here freaked out. His progression was a long one (in comparison to the instant impact guys we've been fortunate to have like Boeser and EP) but few would complain the way he's playing now. 

I think Juolevi can still be that top pairing defenceman for us, people just need to have patience (which on here is a tough ask I know). Oh and for the record, Horvat is a career -48 for the Canucks including a minus 3 on the year as of writing this post despite our hot start. I guess by some people's logic on here, he sucks as well?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Kind of curious how the AHL came up with this -- for example, the Lightning had 25 AHL grads on an opening night roster of 23?  Off the top of my head, Stamkos, Hedman and Point jumped straight to the NHL, there may be others.  But that makes their opening night roster at least 28 players...

And do players like Larkin count?  He played in the AHL for a few games after his college season ended, but went straight to the NHL after.  There are also CHL prospects who played games with the AHL after their junior seasons ended, but went straight to the NHL when they turned pro.  What about someone like Stecher, who played 4 games in the AHL (or Gaudette if he never returns)?  Is that a grad?  Seems a bit disingenuous to include them, I doubt Stecher would've turned out any differently had he just sat in the press box in the NHL for 4 games.

Anyways, not doubting that AHL is a development path that many take, the numbers just feel a bit goosed... which is a pet peeve of mine.

This was a promo piece from AHL and includes players in IR too etc.    That is how I understand the math.   The point was for those who think that somehow if you spend a season in the AHL you are somehow a lesser prospect.    That is just a silly thing to say as it is so at odds with reality.    In this age of "fake news", I thought we could try and avoid that on CDC.

• Cheers 1

Juolevi is looking good. Every defenseman makes mistakes -- some more than others -- but as other posters and management/coaches have said Juolevi is progressing and playing better as of late. Could be due to the "transition period" of getting up to speed to the AHL level.

EDIT: It will be interesting to see how much his game improves once Canuck regulars Edler, Sutter, and Beagle get back to full health and the trickle down effect to the Comets. Gaudette and Chatfield are up here, and I think Boucher is still injured too?

Edited by Blömqvist

On 11/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, mpass1 said:

Just some food for thought.... Thomas Chabot 20 year old AHL numbers: 13GP 2G 5A -7PTS  minus 10   vs Juolevi  20 year old AHL numbers:13 GP 1G 8A -9 PTS minus 8   

Good one....and Chabot is looking like a strong Norris candidate already...!

Oli is only months away from being our best offensive D.,...!....until Quinn comes...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But, but that doesn't fit the myopic narrative! :frantic:

i love that word! (myopic)...certainly fits how some posters here and in other forums view some of our players.

thanks to @Dungass for pointing out that extra assist...moves him up to 6th in AHL d men scoring, and into the lead for rookie d men in points (although he has played more games than some)

• Upvote 1

Juolevi added 2 assists in tonights 4-3 win..

This gives Juolevi GP 14 -- 11 Points  This should give the young 20year old D man lots of confidence..

I really think he will turn out to be a #2 D man and have a very good career for Vancouver...

I thinks its great if he spends another 15-20 games in Utica and then finishes the season in Vancouver..

So exciting to see him in a Canuck uniform in early January...Maybe by March young Hughes will sign and play last 12-14 games in Vancouver..

So exciting in Canuck land with so many very good young prospect playing good hockey..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 4