The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

^

Disagree.  

OJ needs reps, lots of reps to get 'game shape'.  

He will get more reps in Utica.  It could be a 2 week conditioning stint.  

Once he has enough reps in without any issues with his knee, then bring him up if he is top six ready.  

Having OJ play up to 25-30 min a night in Utica is a good thing for his development if he can handle it.  

I agree 100%.  People put too much emphasis on making the team out of camp.  We have a pretty solid top 6 D core, with Fantenberg and Biega as 7&8s.  OJ is going to be  better starting the year in Utica with big minutes and time to get back into game shape.  Once he is ready, he will be up,I'm guessing by Halloween or when the injuries start.

I've been called disillusion, but I feel he is in our top 4 by xmas. The kid is big, smart and can skate, he is going to turn some heads for sure.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I said it before, it's in everyone's best interest for Olli to start the season in Utica, regardless of camp.

Utica needs good players to help our other prospects succeed. A near point per game Dman should do the trick.

oh no doubt. He needs the minutes. Unless something like a Tanev trade happens and Benn moves to the right side there really isn't an opening day spot for him anyway. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...That means we have to expose another forward to waiver's...and if they are serious about trying to give Erikkson a spot, that might be Goldy or Lievo that we have to expose...as well as sending AG down even if he earns a spot.

Ferland / EP / BB

Miller / BH / Pearson

Baer / Sutter / Virtanen

Motte / Beagle / Leivo

Erikkson, Goldy, Schaller, Gaudette and Roussel (when he get's back)

I think they only  carry 7 D. this year ...at least until some trades or injuries happen.

I think they don't hesitate to waive any number of forwards, including Eriksson (he's going to need to play his ARSE off IMO to not get waived).

Goldy would likely clear in the usual pre season waiver melee should they choose to send him down/he fails to earn a top 13 spot. And if not, we have LOADS of middle 6 depth (so much that we still likely need to trade another guy to get Roussel back in eventually), that the guy that couldn't beat out Leivo/Motte/Schaller/Eriksson, on what is likely one of his last chances, will be wished luck with his new team/not a big loss.

Zero hesitation to waiving whomever of Erikkson/Schaller either (though I'd be pretty surprised if we waived Leivo/Motte in favour of either of the other two, they're also 'possible'). The first two almost certainly clear :bored:

Gaudette's almost certainly going down regardless IMO. The best he can do is show them that they can trade Sutter sooner than later and play big minutes/hone his offensive game in Utica. Small chance they move Sutter to Beagle's wing and let Gaudette C a 4th 'offensive' line. But again, that means waiving someone else they aren't likely to.

Given the amount and frequency of injuries to our D every year, and how stellar of an 8th D Biega is, I doubt Benning will be in any rush to nix any of that depth that he's finally built up. Heck of a lot easier to replace F's anyway should numerous injuries occur. We can always find a guy on waivers or pick up another Leivo for peanuts (never mind the already pretty solid F depth we have anyway).

• Cheers 1

If he shows he is one of the best 6 Dmen, then let the kid play in the NHL. He can always get rest days periodically until he gets his conditioning up. Goes against the message management has been preaching over the last couple years that if you work hard and and compete in training camp you can earn a spot. They should ice the best team possible, rebuild was over the minute they traded a first round pick.    

Let me jump into this

I think we have a full line up of Dmen at this moment and it will not hurt OJ to go down and play meaningful minutes in Utica

I do not think it is in OJ's best interest to go down and play large minutes right away (over 20 minutes) as he has to build up his endurance slowly,

which is why he will start in Utica. I think it is far more important for him to play situational minutes, where he can be exposed to all types of situations.

I expect that he will gradually strengthen to a point his play will start to dominate at the AHL level, that is when Canuck management will make the move

I would expect. This is a process, and to jump that process, would be detrimental to OJ's development...…….

My expectation of OJ, is that he will develop into a solid 2/3 defenseman with in a year, so his development curve will be quick, but that does not mean

his elevation to the big club will be immediate. IMO, until OJ shows he can handle all situations in the AHL, I would expect Benning will use other players.....

aka Sautner. In saying that, it will still be quick (1/2 a season) until he is called up for spot duty, due to injuries, on the "LEFT" side.

He will not be replacing Tanev in any event (aka TDL) he is not a RHD as some suggest.

Anyways, despite what I say, it will happen when it happens...…….this is a good thing

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

He will not be replacing Tanev in any event (aka TDL) he is not a RHD as some suggest.

That's not what 'some' are suggesting. Both Benn and Hughes are more than capable of playing right side. THEY would be 'replacing' Tanev and OJ would be filling one of their vacated left side spots.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

That's not what 'some' are suggesting. Both Benn and Hughes are more than capable of playing right side. THEY would be 'replacing' Tanev and OJ would be filling their vacated left side spot.

I get that aGent, but I do not think the Canucks are moving Hughes out of that 2a LHD, because I believe he is the 1a LHD by the end of the season, and will be playing a lot of

LHD PP from the get go...……(I could be wrong, But I don't think he is moving off the left side), as for Benn, he is a 4/5 Defenseman who will have a hard time up setting Stetcher

IMO...………..but I am will to have my mind changed, just don't think it is so easy, as some suggest.

Add to that, the possibility of Tryamkin coming back, and we are being put into a great position, but one that really makes things difficult, which is a good thing...…...

I am interested to see how things play out...…...nice problem!

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get that aGent, but I do not think the Canucks are moving Hughes out of that 2a LHD, because I believe he is the 1a LHD by the end of the season, and will be playing a lot of

LHD PP from the get go...……(I could be wrong, But I don't think he is moving off the left side), as for Benn, he is a 4/5 Defenseman who will have a hard time up setting Stetcher

IMO...………..but I am will to have my mind changed, just don't think it is so easy, as some suggest.

Add to that, the possibility of Tryamkin coming back, and we are being put into a great position, but one that really makes things difficult, which is a good thing...…...

I am interested to see how things play out...…...nice problem!

Oh, I assume they leave Hughes where he is, on the left, too.

Who says Benn's 'upsetting' Stecher? For all we know, they could move Stecher to play with Edler, Myers with Hughes and leave OJ and Benn as '3rd' pair (though the pairs likely see far more even minutes than the usual descriptions would suggest). Even if Benn moves 'ahead' of Stecher to partner with Hughes, that's more about complimentary skill sets and players size than anything to do with Benn 'upsetting' Stecher.

I doubt we'll see a whole lot of Hughes/Stecher together as they're both small, not because of their ability. They'd likely be a VERY dynamic pair but Gordie help them if they get stuck out there against larger opposition on an icing or change on the fly.

Tryamkin's likely not here until after roster limits are lifted (and even then, only if we have cap space by then).

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who says Benn's 'upsetting' Stecher? For all we know, they could move Stecher to play with Edler, Myers with Hughes and leave OJ and Benn as '3rd' pair (though the pairs likely see far more even minutes than the usual descriptions would suggest). Even if Benn moves 'ahead' of Stecher to partner with Hughes, that's more about complimentary skill sets and players size than anything to do with Benn 'upsetting' Stecher.

I doubt we'll see a whole lot of Hughes/Stecher together as they're both small, not because of their ability. They'd likely be a VERY dynamic pair but Gordie help them if they get stuck out there against larger opposition on an icing or change on the fly.

Tryamkin's likely not here until after roster limits are lifted (and even then, only if we have cap space by then).

I am good with that!

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I expect Biega will also be the 8th/spare right d as well.

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Tanev

Benn, Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

Agreed.  Biega can sit for weeks and step back in and play to a bottom pairing without any lag.  Our young guys need playing time above all.  I don't want to see OJ sitting in the press box.  

• Like 1

OJ was ready before his latest surgery.

He is fully healed, showing well, and pain-free.

The big "if" here is:  "If" he is ready to go.

If OJ outperforms all the 6th, 7th, 8th, etc. D in line for the job, I think it is wrong to send him to the minors.

I also do not think it will be that difficult for him to outplay Stetcher, Benn, or any of the prospects.

Quinn is a lock of course, and so is Eddie, but OJ could be #5 on the depth chart holding down the 3rd LHD position.

I think it is unfair to OJ, the rest of the team, and the coaches and management to send him down "if" he has earned a spot.

It also sends the wrong message to everyone (including the AHL and ECHL and the KHL and the SHL etc) that even if you outplay the others, you're not going to make the team.

Benning should be happy to eat his "OJ will start in Utica" statement and support his "if a player outplays the others, we will make room for him".

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because Hughes is also ready and also represents a more needed element/play style on the team (and hasn't missed a bunch of the last two years of playing hockey). 

OJ will be here soon enough.

I think QH will get #5-6 mins 5v5 and then PP time that will boost his mins up.

• Upvote 1

The positivity in this thread is catchy.... Great to see so much joy with OJ being back playing.

One would assume that after nearly a year out and yet to play in the NHL, OJ would be starting in AHL .

On top of getting back to game fitness, the NHL is still a step up from where he was... 

RJ said it best in one of his tweets, that OJ was phenomenal, when there was no pressure on him... Why then throw him before the wolves, before he has asserted himself, that he is capable of playing 100% with confidence.... He'll start in the AHL.

Doesn't matter how long he plays in the AHL, as long as he progresses to become, what everyone hopes for. He is still only 21 years old, and should hopefully play on our defence the next 10+ years.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I see the pairings as 

Hughes Myers

Edler Stecher

Benn Tanev

Fattenburg Beiga

This order doesn't represent playing time, but zone starts.  

Offensive d, Hughes and Myers are most likely the best choice.  

Two way middle pairing, Edler and Stecher are a good pairing.  Can do a bit of everything.  

Benn and Tanev can be the shut down pairing.  A mostly defensive pairing.  

Minutes would be determined mostly by match ups and zone starts.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

OJ was ready before his latest surgery.

He is fully healed, showing well, and pain-free.

The big "if" here is:  "If" he is ready to go.

He was ready on one of the weakest d cores in the league last year. JB has went out and filled this team with more depth adding three UFA’s (two of which are legit NHLers) add in our superstar prospect. And that’s 4 rosters spots added where as we really only subtracted Hutton. (Schenn wouldn’t really count)

If OJ outperforms all the 6th, 7th, 8th, etc. D in line for the job, I think it is wrong to send him to the minors.

training camp isn’t long enough to show a player is fully ready, that’s why junior players get the 9 games.  Just look at what happened to McCann who earned his way on the team.  By Christmas time is was clear he should have went back.  If Canucks keep OJ over someone else and we lose that player to waivers Canucks just lost depth that we WILL need when injuries start to hit.

Joulevi needs ice time.  Without injuries he’s not getting more TOI than Myers, Tanev, Hughes, Edler, Stecher which means he’s getting bottom pairing depth TOI and that’s not a place you want a developing player to learn. 

No players has every been hindered by over cooking in Juniors. 

I also do not think it will be that difficult for him to outplay Stetcher, Benn, or any of the prospects.

Based on what. Joulevi’s played 18 games in the AHL and missed the last 10 months. 

I think it is unfair to OJ, the rest of the team, and the coaches and management to send him down "if" he has earned a spot.

It also sends the wrong message to everyone (including the AHL and ECHL and the KHL and the SHL etc) that even if you outplay the others, you're not going to make the team.

Benning should be happy to eat his "OJ will start in Utica" statement and support his "if a player outplays the others, we will make room for him".

You’re making a presumption that he will be ready and that’s a lofty presumption. The goal and decision on what canucks do with OJ after training camp is with his long term development in mind, this seems to be forgotten by many. 

• Cheers 3