The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Why limit ourselves to 10+ years? My hope is that Juolevi begins his NHL career something this season, plays injury free, goes on to become the league’s ironman, appears in more than 1600 NHL games over the next 20+ seasons, breaks all the existing records for Canucks Dmen, retires sometime in his early 40’s, and has his jersey number go straight to the rafters. :)

Sure why not... the sky's the limit. :towel:

After his jersey goes to the rafters, a partition starts to have Rodgers renamed in honour of Juolevi, who, after captaining the team to 4 SC's finally gets recognised as being the right pick at no. 5 at the 2016 draft.... although some still argues JB made the wrong pick....

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Sure why not... the sky's the limit. :towel:

After his jersey goes to the rafters, a partition starts to have Rodgers renamed in honour of Juolevi, who, after captaining the team to 4 SC's finally gets recognised as being the right pick at no. 5 at the 2016 draft.... although some still argues JB made the wrong pick....

Dreeeeeam,

Dream, Dream, Dream

Dreeeeeam…...

All I want to do is dreeeeam!

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Goal:thecup said:

I get the feeling that some posters do not like the idea of OJ outplaying say, the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc, players that they have pencilled into their very logical and comprehensive prognostications for who will be on the starting lineup.

It doesn't fit the plan; it's not under the cap; etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you guys and am sincere about your very good projections.

I just think there is also room for stuff to happen and I believe that Juolevi has the potential to upset the apple cart.

I don't think if OJ makes the 8th D, that it is a foregone conclusion that he makes the big club; he is very likely to be sent down in that case.

But I can see him beating out enough guys that he moves up the list, and if one or more D get traded or injured or sent down, he would be behind only Edler and Hughes on the left side, i.e. 5th or 6th D.  (I don't suppose you would allow me to project the possibility that if Edler or Hughes got injured, that Olli Juolevi could be our #3 or #4 defenceman playing his natural position on the left hand side.)

It may not be unreasonable to project that Juolevi does not need to outplay Myers, Hughes, Edler, Tanev, or even Stetcher to earn #6 D.

It also may not be unreasonable to think that he might be better than Benn, Fantenberg, Woo, Biega, Teves, Rafferty, Sautner, Brisebois, Eliot, Chatfield, Utunun,  (who'd I miss)?

Whaaaaa?  

That's a bit of a strange POV IMO.  A wee bit tinfoily hat leaning IMO.   In fairness to the premise, that's not what I have been saying.  What we have is depth on defence.  

That's not something we could say since the 2011 team in some ways.  

Depending on the development, say it with me, the development of key players.  Namely Hughes, OJ and Woo.  

Hughes is next level and there is absolutely no indication that he needs seasoning at this point.  

OJ is recovering from surgery and has been off the ice for over half a year.  He has been training his ass off, yes.  But he hasn't been able to skate.  Skating is a horrible thing for joints.  Lots of smaller and less used muscle fibres have to be used that say running or cycling.  He was unable to use those particular exercises for some time.  

It may, may take him some time to get back up to speed and beyond where he was when he last hit the ice.  The Club can give him that time.  That's a good thing for everyone.  

What's even better is that OJ doesn't need that time and exceeds all likely expectations.  That would be &^@#ing great.  

One other point.  Hughes.  I also think that Hughes needs a solid veteran d partner.  Maybe we should see if Green is ready a willing to add two rookie d men in the same season or at the same time.  

Green may prefer to start with Hughes, who is more ready, and then add OJ.  

This team is a evolving and yet to be determined how everyone fits together.  Alot of changes and coaches tend to rely on those that have already proven they can be relied on.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Whaaaaa?  

That's a bit of a strange POV IMO.  A wee bit tinfoily hat leaning IMO.   In fairness to the premise, that's not what I have been saying.  What we have is depth on defence.  

That's not something we could say since the 2011 team in some ways.  

Depending on the development, say it with me, the development of key players.  Namely Hughes, OJ and Woo.  

Hughes is next level and there is absolutely no indication that he needs seasoning at this point.  

OJ is recovering from surgery and has been off the ice for over half a year.  He has been training his ass off, yes.  But he hasn't been able to skate.  Skating is a horrible thing for joints.  Lots of smaller and less used muscle fibres have to be used that say running or cycling.  He was unable to use those particular exercises for some time.  

It may, may take him some time to get back up to speed and beyond where he was when he last hit the ice.  The Club can give him that time.  That's a good thing for everyone.  

What's even better is that OJ doesn't need that time and exceeds all likely expectations.  That would be &^@#ing great.  

One other point.  Hughes.  I also think that Hughes needs a solid veteran d partner.  Maybe we should see if Green is ready a willing to add two rookie d men in the same season or at the same time.  

Green may prefer to start with Hughes, who is more ready, and then add OJ.  

This team is a evolving and yet to be determined how everyone fits together.  Alot of changes and coaches tend to rely on those that have already proven they can be relied on.  

He has been skating since June 10, over 3 months. By the time the regular season starts it will be 4 months. How many months of skating do you think he needs?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I see him winning the Nobel peace prize and donating one of his kidney’s to a needy 5 year old in a third world country.  That’s in between the time he’ll be spending on training for his upcoming handicap MMA match when he takes on McGregor & GSP both at the same time.

Don't sell him short.

He is gonna donate BOTH kidneys to needy 5 year old twins!

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He has been skating since June 10, over 3 months. By the time the regular season starts it will be 4 months. How many months of skating do you think he needs?

Okay, mispoke, how about contact, game shape, its skating with Jake pushing against you.  How does OJ handle getting hit.  

Lots of things that flow in the same direction.  Players coming back off injury and surgery are generally eased into full speed games.  

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:20 PM, WeneedLumme said:

You're not really a glass half full kinda guy, are you lol.

Patrick JohnstonVerified account @risingaction
FollowFollow @risingaction
More

Olli Juolevi looked in rough shape after the bag skate. It does look like maybe his knee is bothering him.

12:59 PM - 13 Sep 2019

13 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hey look at that. Juolevi needs time to get his conditioning up after missing about 10 months of hockey.  But he should definitely start in the NHL right? 

Beyond a good look at training camp?  Why?  He's missed 10 months of hockey.  Let him play big minutes on the Comets first....can always call him up later (as you know we'll get injuries at some point).

17 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hey look at that. Juolevi needs time to get his conditioning up after missing about 10 months of hockey.  But he should definitely start in the NHL right? 

Still in the dark?

I said, "IF" Juolevi beats out the competition, he should not be sent to Utica, imo.

Therefore, IF he is not ready, he should be sent to Utica, right?

Talk about dense!

Edited by Goal:thecup
Punctuation

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Beyond a good look at training camp?  Why?  He's missed 10 months of hockey.  Let him play big minutes on the Comets first....can always call him up later (as you know we'll get injuries at some point).

It was sarcastic. Tough to tell through text sometimes. I agree that he should be on the Comets to start and then re-evaluated around the midway point of the season. He'll probably run out of gas by November after missing that much time, so bring him up after a short rest or something. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Still in the dark?

I said, "IF" Juolevi beats out the competition, he should not be sent to Utica, imo.

Therefore, IF he is not ready, he should be sent to Utica, right?

Talk about dense!

I didn't even mention you...

Even if he beats out the competition over the span of a couple of weeks, it's his conditioning over a couple of months that is the concern. After missing that much time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him slow down by November/December. Let him hit that point in Utica and the re-evaluate him after that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2